Is there anything wrong with Nintendo using mostly a cartoony style?

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
It's no secret Nintendo mostly uses an art style that resembles animation (Western Cartoons and Anime). However, some people have a problem with this and would like Nintendo to make something more inline with the realistic looking graphics seen on Sony and Microsoft platforms, that have become an industry standard.

A likely argument by some would be because it adds diversity. However, I don't buy this. There are a wide variety of cartoony art styles to use like a saturday morning cartoon, shonen manga, shojo manga, western comic books, general anime, surreal style, storybook style, painting style, or even stick figures. Nintendo games use a wide and diverse variety of art styles, while still sticking a central animated feel. You can be diverse, while still being cartoony.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it turns me off from ever purchasing a Nintendo system. Obviously that's just personal preference. I associate their "cute" and "kiddy" style with memories of my half-sister, one of the worst human beings I've ever had the misfortune of knowing (and with whom I haven't been in contact for over three blissful years).

It's not that I don't like cute things or things that one could classify as "kiddy," it's just Nintendo's particular variety of it rubs me the wrong way.

Again, it's all personal! More power to those who like it though, and definitely nothing wrong with Nintendo's style.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Since they don't have the hardware to compete with M$ and $ony, it seems reasonable to me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nintendo's art choices fit largely well with the style they choose for their games and with their option to proceed with less powerful hardware. As such, not only is there not anything wrong with it but it's actually a smart choice.

It does, however, rub some people the wrong way. I, as an example, just find myself not drawn to it at all. The consistent Nintendo visual style does turn me off of buying their hardware along with their design choices. Nothing against Nintendo or it's choices, but it solidly hits fairly well outside of what I like or am interested in.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm totally fine with cartoony visuals. I think the industry could actually use some more.

But Nintendo seems to have been homogenizing its cartoony style ever since the Wii. All their games have this samey look to them now. The Mario games especially.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, I've never heard this complaint; I'm sure I speak for most people when I say I do not want to see Mario given a "realistic" visual overhaul.

That said, it's true that the art style of several Nintendo franchises doesn't particularly appeal to me. The issue isn't so much that it's "cartoony;" most Japanese games have an anime art style but Nintendo has an especially childish looking one. I'll play Mario, Zelda, etc games if I'm at a friend's place and those games are what's available, but I don't think I'll ever go out of my way to buy a Wii along with those games, no matter how much discretionary income I have.

Though, Fire Emblem is an exception. If they released more Fire Emblem on consoles I actually own, I'd definitely buy them.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I'm totally fine with cartoony visuals. I think the industry could actually use some more.

But Nintendo seems to have been homogenizing its cartoony style ever since the Wii. All their games have this samey look to them now. The Mario games especially.
This is exactly what I thought. I get that they're probably aiming to obtain a recognizable "Nintendo look" for all their core franchises, and that would be kind of a cute if completely unnecessary idea, considering most of their flagship series already feature some of the most iconic characters in video game history, but the art style is just not appealing to me at all. It's too bright and...sterile for my tastes, if that makes any sense. I mean, it kinda suits Mario and Donkey Kong, but definitely not Zelda.

But that's just the opinion of someone who's never actually owned one of those games or a Nintendo system other than a DS Lite. lol Though I do plan on getting a 3DS in the near-ish future and am very excited about that.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I don't get why cartoony visuals turn some people off. Cartoons are awesome! Maybe the aesthetics denote a specific market, but video games are so diverse and varied in aesthetics anyway that audiences can be pretty unpredictable. Borderlands is sort of cartoony and they played a role in determining the industry standard. As far as I can tell, Sony and Microsoft are mostly realistic, but they have their own cartoony franchises and those are successful as well.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I have no problem with it I think it fits some of their games very well I do think they need more games that dont fit that style on their systems though i.e like Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandoras tower brought last gen for example. They are getting stuck with a kiddy image through their art style and unfortunately this turns off a lot of kids because they are to grown up for that.

Everything has its place and Nintendo shouldnt abandon the style and it has worked wonders for the smash series where they can bring in a load of characters from various franchises under their umbrella without any seeming really out of place I just wish they could widen their artistic style a bit more.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Wrong question, the correct one is: Does x game with the "realist" aesthetic justify the use (hopefully through world building)?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I like the cartoony aesthetic Nintendo tends to use. It gives their games a somewhat timeless feel...I wanted to mention this in another thread about Morrowind's graphics; Luigi's Mansion was released in late 2001 but it still looks great even after 12 and a half years. How many PS2 and Xbox launch titles can say that straight-faced...other than Jet Set Radio Future I mean?

Pierre Poutine

Sep 20, 2013
Honestly, I think you could make a similar argument that some people write off animation in general as being "cartoony" and "only for kids". That of course is ridiculous. On the surface it may seem that all Disney movies are just simple kids movies, but if you dive more into them [not all of them, but you get the idea], it can be just as entertaining or interesting as an adult [albeit for different reasons]. Yet, if you were to ask a bunch of coworkers if any of them wanted to see Frozen, odds are they'd find that silly, despite how positive the buzz has been for it. Granted, I think this dynamic is changing for animation as more and more people see it's not limited for children.

Similarly, while some Nintendo games are simpler in design and meant for kids [notably Kirby and some Yoshi titles], others get wider appeal because beneath the fun colours and music is solid craftsmanship via tight controls, good level design, and deeper challenge then it may seem.

What I will say is I wouldn't mind seeing a diversity in Art styles for the Mario series. Sure, they did Paper Mario [which was great], but I feel the core platforming series is begging for a new look since I feel they've made this art style look as good as it can at this point.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
Pierre Poutine said:
Honestly, I think you could make a similar argument that some people write off animation in general as being "cartoony" and "only for kids". That of course is ridiculous. On the surface it may seem that all Disney movies are just simple kids movies, but if you dive more into them [not all of them, but you get the idea], it can be just as entertaining or interesting as an adult [albeit for different reasons]. Yet, if you were to ask a bunch of coworkers if any of them wanted to see Frozen, odds are they'd find that silly, despite how positive the buzz has been for it. Granted, I think this dynamic is changing for animation as more and more people see it's not limited for children.

Similarly, while some Nintendo games are simpler in design and meant for kids [notably Kirby and some Yoshi titles], others get wider appeal because beneath the fun colours and music is solid craftsmanship via tight controls, good level design, and deeper challenge then it may seem.

What I will say is I wouldn't mind seeing a diversity in Art styles for the Mario series. Sure, they did Paper Mario [which was great], but I feel the core platforming series is begging for a new look since I feel they've made this art style look as good as it can at this point.
There's actually a term for that, it's called the Animation Age Getto.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nothing inherently wrong in style, but it probably limits their target demographic considerably.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of course not. I find that the more stylized or "cartoony" art styles tend to age the best anyway.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Not really, it helps their products age better than games with more realistic styles. Take Wind Waker for example, the original gamecube release is still very pretty to this day.