Is there anything you are honor-bound to do or not do?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
This is sort of a cross between the recent Weird Gaming Habits and/or Stupid Reasons To Hate Games threads in the sense that:

Is there anything that you do or not do to abide by a personal creed, some weird gaming OCD or what-have-you?

Here's what made me think of this:

I was talking with some friends and I forgot what led into it but I ended up telling this story I like to tell about my dad. When I was young(er) I watched him beat the first Crash Bandicoot. I tried to do that and I couldn't, I tried and tried and tried, couldn't beat Crash. I could beat crash 2 and 3 just fine, couldn't beat the first one. Now, it's literally been at least ten years since I last played Crash, the old, GOOD, Crash Bandicoot games. I'm sure I could go back and beat it no problem but I don't want to. You know why? Because ol' dad doesn't play anymore and Crash is the ONE THING he has over me and I don't want to take it from him, you know? Well, he's better than me at Donkey Kong TO THIS DAY but still...

SO!

You got a story like this one?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
No gaming honors per-say, i do have the mantra of always attacking in my RTS games, never go on the defensive, the defensive is boring!

I am honor-bound to spare your life if you can sing the lyrics to the greatest song ever sung.

I am also honor bound to never steal, when i was a kid (bout' 8 or 9) i used to always take 2 Pounds or so of change from my Mom or Dad. Not sure why i did that, i never spent the money on anything, i guess i was going through a "mine!" stage and was just attracted to the value of money. Now i always thought i was being some kind Ninja stealing my parent's change but they knew from the start it was me. (Apparently my twin was doing the same thing as well at the time so the amount we kept stealing became really noticeable).

Now we thought we were getting away it till one day our parents took us out to London and we were in this park and we desperately wanted to ride on these little Swan pedalo boats except my dad said we couldn't because he didn't have enough change because someone kept stealing it.

So me and my twin weren't able to ride on the swans or even get some mint ice cream. My little brother on the other hand did since my dad was able to magically find enough change for him.

Now i don't know if my privilege is showing but that remains to this day a notably devastating blow to my psyche and it really set me straight when it came to stealing, i just remember the disappointment and shame i felt while watching my brother peddle about and i just cant bring my self to do it.

I've not stolen anything that belongs to another person since.

Or peddled in giant hollowed out Swan on a lake...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I like that story, OP.

For me, it's cheating. When I was a kid I used cheats a lot and it actually helped me to learn the ins and outs of StarCraft before I went online for the first time and got a taste of what it was really like to play a competetive game. From that day forward, I decided to learn everything the right way and never to use cheats again.

There are some exceptions I allow myself, like I will gen Pokemon that can not be caught without going to some silly event or whatever but I will only do it for the Pokedex entry and never use that Pokemon.

Related to Crash, I still remember the cheat in Crash 2 where you had to jump on the polar bear's head in the second warp room and you got 9 free lives. Good days.

It worked out well for me, though. At age 12 I managed to rescue all 300 Mudokons in Abe's Exoddus without a guide or cheats. That's still an effort that I can't believe I ever managed to do to this very day but damn it, I am still proud of my 12 year old self for doing that.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
Unless someone is an ACTIVE threat I will leave them alone, unless the game forces me to kill them that is. Even in games like GTA or SR I do not go out of my way to mow down civilians or police officers, only other gang members that are actively firing at me at that moment. I remember one time in SR 3 when I saw a group of pimps walking by in a rainbow of colorful suits, I decided not to open fire on them as some would have and was rewarded for that decision when I was attacked by the cyber punk gang and one accidently shot a pimp and a huge wave of pimp-death rained down upon those cyber punks. :D

Also, if I meet another player that fights against me in any game that allows online combat and he treats me with respect I will go out of my way to find him and be his online friend if only to have a worthy rival that I can fight against and not have them trash talk me.:)

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
I am honorbound to not do things in games that I don't have fun playing against.
In tf2, I try to never use the gunslinger even if it would be insanely useful to our team.
In smite, for awhile I refused to use loki before I understood his weaknesses better (I thought he was op but he's really not)

Mainly this is kind of a high horse thing, I can't really complain about how bull minies are if I'm using them myself.

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Two things, which are sort of linked:

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR
1 - I will always honour an alliance, not matter the cost strategically or financially. Even if it ultimately will cause me to lose the game. I figure this means people will work with me well once allied (eg, be happy to give me money/techs/supplies without fera of my backstabbing them.

FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE; FOR HATE'S SAKE, I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT THEE
2 - I will always take revenge. Particularly if betrayed. I will never accept a peace treaty for a war I did not start and will mobilise every last resource in making sure you will not win. This way, people think twice before attacking me, particularly without a fair declaration of war before commencing the attack.

These two tactics have always stood me in good stead. Whenever I play strategy games with people who have played with me before, they will quickly attempt to ally with me and we generally are unmolested throughout the game. Makes for many happy, co-op victories!

NB - Bonus habit:

THE END...OR IS IT?
3 - A must for RTS game, in particular. If it is clear my ally(ies) have won the game and it is just a case of mopping up, a final battle takes place to decide our 'podium positions'. This turn of events is usually signified with the words [Nuclear launch detected], and the world comes to an end...

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I will never go through a dungeon in Skyrim, a building in Fallout, a level in Mass Effect or a location in Borderlands without looting every single little thing, regardless of value or usefulness. If I skip stuff I feel so bad that I have to replay it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I don't use any cheats until I've done a playthrough. Games with cheats are getting rarer and rarer but as a matter of principle if they're there I just don't use 'em.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Never play a game on easy . Ever . Other can do what they like . But i shall not stoop so low as to play a game on easy .

Also , i will not use an overpowered /overused character/weapon/build . When everyone is doing the same thing , it get's boring .

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
when playing a warrior/soldier class character in an RPG or such-like game, I will not resort to elemental enchantment or weapons either, those are for the wizards, witches and bitches.

for my hand is steady and my be true.

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
It seems trivial compared to most on here, but a few years ago playing CoD: World at War online, I developed such a hatred for the MP40 sub-machine gun and all of its users (which was 80-90% of people) that I vowed never to use an automatic weapon in an online Call of Duty game again, and I've managed to hold to that (though I don't play any of them any more so it's gotten significantly easier).

Other than that, I don't really think I have many personal rules binding what I do in games. Hooray for dishonourable conduct!

MBaskerville

Apr 10, 2012
Tom_green_day said:
I will never go through a dungeon in Skyrim, a building in Fallout, a level in Mass Effect or a location in Borderlands without looting every single little thing, regardless of value or usefulness. If I skip stuff I feel so bad that I have to replay it.
All tin cans/plates/cooking equipment will be collected and placed in a separate Sunset Sarsaparilla crate :D

I recently started playing Fallout NV again but without picking up anything unless it's quest related, makes the game slightly more challenging for me and fun.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
My little mantra is probably just "Don't kill unnecessarily". If a target is not a threat and I don't get anything out of it then I tend to leave them alone. Or rather, I don't start the fight. If a punch of guard want to jump up and attack me then I'll be ruthless and slaughter them until they flee, just to teach them a lesson.
I'm also more likely to let the bad guy go if I think they're doing whatever they're doing for good reasons whenever given the choice.

Delerien

Apr 3, 2013
Well no cheats and never play a game on easy are ones that already got mentioned.
Besides that i always try to stick with the authorities, if given the choice. So many games force you to fight an evil government or whatever, it's just a nice change to be on their side for once, as long as they're not manically evil.

TheFrost

Feb 4, 2011
I do not know why but sometimes it seems like I have some sort of computer chip inside my brain preventing me from ever killing someone unnecessarily or perform any evil or selfish acts in general, I will never steal, insult or betray if it is within my power to prevent it.
Also, I am not sure if this is relevant but I always have a set of traits to define my character within RPGs like Skyrim.
-I always plays someone with more brain than brawn, generally a mage.
-I will, if possible, use ice based attacks because of my previously mentioned computer chip which has caused me to have some weird allegiance with ice and frost.
-if I get to pick some sort of animal companion it will always be a raven.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
If I play an RTS I have to make units and buildings in what I think are good, "round" numbers - either even, or multiples of 3 or 5. If I see that i have like 17 workers or something like that, well, that just won't do.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Me and my brothers are huge into wargames and civilization building games. A few years ago, we bought a civ game called "Through the Ages" and thought it was the best game ever. We were playing and my oldest brother decided to attack me and enslave my people. From that point forward, I would not rest until he was destroyed. My second-oldest brother won the game essentially by default, but the blood feud had begun. Ever since then, in every game we've played, me and my oldest brother will fight almost from the word go.

A hilarious example was when we were playing the new Civilization boardgame, and he brought an army in and took one of the resource huts near my city. He didn't attack me, but he was in my territory and slaughtered the natives I was planning to slaughter. After that it was on; I took an army and killed a settler he had just built. We then fought each other until we we're completely exhausted, including (in my opinion) the unforgiveable breaking of a ceasefire which he claimed we never entered into. Well, the result was that my second-oldest brother won a science victory because we just ignored him the whole game. Sigh.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
As a Sniper in TF2, my most-played class by miles, I always congratulate fellow enemy Snipers on good shots. Remember, be polite.

And of course good sportsmanship in general for. The GG's, not ragequitting when my opponent is winning, that sort of thing.