Is there one upcoming game you're desperately hoping lives up to its hype?

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Transistor better be good, although despite however the game turns out, the soundtrack is definitely going to be fantastic.

I am very hopeful about Project Eternity, Torment and the Wastelands games and praying with all my might that they are going to be as fantastic as I expect them to be. More old-school RPGs would be a great thing for the gaming community.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
None at the moment. A few days ago it was Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
Second day of early access at the moment, and apart from a progress breaking bug and a shitload of maintence time, it hasn't really disappointed my expectations. Except for one thing.
Switching classes in the game(every character can be all classes) was made to look like something really simple. Equip a class related weapon and become that class. Looked amazingly awesome. However, all your other gear will become unequipped if the other class can't use it and it's a fucking choire finding what gear belongs to which class in the armor inventory.
If there was a memory setting for what gear you used last time you played that class, or a gear management page where you could arrange gear into macros, the problems would be solved.

Hoping it gets implemented in the future. >.<

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
It's been said but I'll say it again, Grand Theft Auto V. Pulling off a heist by playing three different characters all with their own unique role to play sounds amazing but only if it's plays as fluent as it did in the trailer.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The new SuperSmashBros
I doubt it will let me down in the multiplayer section but I hope they do something for a fun (even if short) singleplayer experience.
The new Zelda installment (next year?) of course.
Batman Origins and AssCreed IV are also games I will be getting so hope they turn up as good as their latest installments (well of course it would be nice if they were better than their latest versions :p)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'd say Thief and Watch_Dogs. I'm intrigued by InFAMOUS: Second Son, although it really does look like a retread of the first game, with different particle effects associated to Delsin's powers.

We're in the yearly drought, though, and I'm mostly content with either replaying my old glories or basking in the warm glow of recent acquisitions.

Just a few hours longer, Zinyak. Then I get to kick your ass.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Now I'm not saying that if Rome 2: Total War is another disappointment, I'm going to riot... but if Rome 2: Total War sucks I'm going to riot. This is the first Total War game since I played Rome back in 2005 that I have a decent enough computer to preorder it and actually play it. So I'm pretty hyped, it better live up to it.

Dragon Age: Inquisition also has a decent amount of hype I hope it lives up to. I love me Origins, but 2 sucked.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Starbound. Holy frigging shit, Starbound. Thing is, with all of the gameplay footage we've seen, they'd have to do something Ride-To-Hell-Retribution bad later on for it to not hit expectations.

Chemical123

May 2, 2013
Star Citizen, I havent played a good space sim game in ages. There is so much riding on this game, not only it is the most successful crowdfunded game but it is made by a space sim veteran. This game can singlehandedly prove that space sim genre isnt dead and that publisher's arent required even for a decent budged. However, if it fails then space sim genre is dead and people would be that much less willing to contribute money to any other ambitious game project.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Suda51's Killer is Death, kinda surprised no one mentioned it yet. If I remember it correctly it's a spiritual sequel to Killer7.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Persona 5, not announced, but damn, just waiting for it is a *****.
There is no way it can live up with the hype, it feels like Half life 3 now.

Dark Souls II is another game in the category, everything in Dark Souls 1 was perfect, the levels, the bosses, the feel, the lore, the challenge, and even the exploration although that is debatable.
It's pretty much that game I would put as the example for all to follow, a game that feels like a game and not a movie or an "interactive experience", but as a game with the gameplay at the spotlight.
A game that does not treat its players as completely stupid and useless, and is not afraid to put them in a situation where they are forced to learn from their failures in order to succeed, which is something that is desperately needed since the norm these days is have your victory handed to you.
I wish it would remain as some kind of example instead of following the rest of the flock.
The whole talk of making it more accessible had me scared,

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
The upcoming home console Attack on Titan game that's supposed to be coming out next year, Blade and Soul if and when NCSOFT stops screwing us over - I mean Korean/Asian game developers aren't ones to be chatty or supportive of over-seas communities and even the ART DESIGNER for BnS gave away more info (including expected release date of 2014) then the 'Official' US BnS site.

What else?

FFXV, KH3, DESTINY - God I can't wait for this one, what I've heard of it so far reminds me of Borderlands without the art style that annoyed me (yes, yes hate on me now but I have eye problems and that game was NOT HELPING.), OZombie/Alice:Otherlands hopefully annnnd...Everquest NEXT.

Will be a very fun next couple months/years for me, I'm hoping.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Wasteland 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm DESPERATE for Inquisition to be good, I really am. Please God let them not recycle the same dungeons over and over, let them make a engaging storyline and let us clothe our companions again and talk to them whenever we want instead of ONLY at their "homebase". Oh, and no instant teleporting mages that break the lore of the game.

ragethebeast

Oct 19, 2010
DanielBrown said:
None at the moment. A few days ago it was Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
Second day of early access at the moment, and apart from a progress breaking bug and a shitload of maintence time, it hasn't really disappointed my expectations. Except for one thing.
Switching classes in the game(every character can be all classes) was made to look like something really simple. Equip a class related weapon and become that class. Looked amazingly awesome. However, all your other gear will become unequipped if the other class can't use it and it's a fucking choire finding what gear belongs to which class in the armor inventory.
If there was a memory setting for what gear you used last time you played that class, or a gear management page where you could arrange gear into macros, the problems would be solved.

Hoping it gets implemented in the future. >.<
You do realize it has a gear set feature in the game since at least phase 2 beta test right? you can set up i think 7 intial gear sets, then you get 1 more each time you do the learn the class quest from other guilds, which should total to around 20+ sets that you can save.

OT : Wildstar, i have no faith in ESO feeling like an Elder Scrolls game, and EQ Next sounds like GW2 all gimmick and no substance. FFXIV and Swtor will have to keep my attention till i get my hands on Wildstar for my MMO fix.

Also Watchdogs concerns me now with that Ubisoft announcement that they are terrible at developing stand alone games so they are only going to make foolish nonsensical to be continued games.

Diablo 3 : ROS is also on my list, i really wanted to like Diablo 3, but that damned auction house was mandatory for inferno progression ( at least back when i played at launch) and then when they made it easier for inferno they broke class balance and put neon signs around the barb and said play this or you are wasting time.

Honorable Mentions : future Bioware games, i lost faith in them between ME3 and DA:2 but i would really enjoy that if the next games in the series didn't blow.

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
Though I have spent much of my time and money on video games, I do not usually purchase "hype games," save for Last of Us (but hey - I preordered that before anyone knew too much about it, before the hype really started.)
Still, I have preordered Beyond: Two Souls. I did so the second I heard it was another Quantic Dream development.

I really hope it has a lot of playability and I'm able to pour some real hours into it: it looks amazing.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Final Fantasy XV. I've been waiting for that game since 2006 and it looks incredibly good so I'm hoping it will live up to the excitement.

Starblazer117

Jan 21, 2009
Dragon Age: Inquisition, after hearing about the decision to extend the development time for a year(courtesy of EA of all things), and all the stuff released by the recent Game Informer news coming from their DA hub. They have no excuse this time.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Put me down as another for Dragon Age: Inquisition. I never lost faith in Bioware. I loved the Mass Effect series (yes, all of it), I loved Dragon Age: Origins, and I liked Dragon Age 2. Everything I have seen just hypes me up more. After all, they are bringing back Varric and the tactical camera makes a return.

Also Total War: Rome 2. I have been playing the first game since 2006 and absolutely love it.