Is there the equivalent of spelling bees in other languages?

Apr 17, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
I think what OP believes to be 'special' about English and it's rather haphazard relationship with phonetic spelling (or rather, a lack thereof), is the somewhat free and loose 'rules' that are drawn from historic standards developed and agreed upon at different points in time by different groups of people with little (read: no) effort by central government to integrate or standardise anything ('correct' spelling in English, with very few exceptions, came about thanks to consensus, not by rule, and while this is true for many languages, the blurred lines of English's linguistic heritage make said consensus an exercise in madness). Which causes crap like: tough; though; thought; and through, all of which draw the 'ough' letter cluster from largely different etymological roots.
It is fairly recently I was working near a place called Loughborough. Where the first ough is "uff" and the second is "uh" (the whole thing being "luff-buh-ruh"). Which even as a native English speaker I think is cheating.

I don't think Spelling Bees are really as much a thing in the UK as they are in the US. I'm sure they happen but they never seem to be the big "all the school comes to watch" things that the yanks have

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Baffle2 said:
I'd forgotten that I wasn't supposed to do jokes any more. :(
I'm pretty high on the retard scale, I don't take jokes unless they slap me full in the face. I'm sorry, I suppose.

Palindromemordnilap said:
It is fairly recently I was working near a place called Loughborough. Where the first ough is "uff" and the second is "uh" (the whole thing being "luff-buh-ruh"). Which even as a native English speaker I think is cheating.
Try pronouncing 'Beaulieu'... here's a clue: don't try thinking in French...!

As it goes, British placenames probably hold the record for highest incidence of unintuitive pronunciation in its (purportedly) native language. Mousehole, any county ending in -shire, anything ending in -cester, Leominster, Cholmondeley, Godmanchester etc. etc. and even a lot of the better known places (by Brits, that is), pause a take a moment to think about the phonetics vs the spelling and you really wonder how English is, in any way shape or form, a 'standardised' language.

Oct 22, 2011
There's nothing quite like an american Spelling Bee, where a kid stands on a stage and recites words, letter-by-letter. Unless, not that i'm aware of...

The polish version of that would be "Dyktando", which sorta does the reverse thing; a lector is dictating a text, that you then write down correctly. The tricky part here are the ortographic rules. For example: "?" and "u" are two vowels that sound exactly the same, but both have place in texts in polish. On the other hand, unlike in english, letters are spelt in just one way.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Baffle2 said:
I'd forgotten that I wasn't supposed to do jokes any more. :(
Well, to be fair, if a mind isn't prepped to expect humour, a lot can slip by, especially from a different culture who may not be as attuned to dry humour the way some are. Is kinda of why I get mini-panics at the thought of all the crap I've said being taken seriously, before promptly killing them off with nearby alcohol or hammers and compulsively carrying on with it anyway. Also funerals. People take things very seriously at funerals. The riskiest of situations to deploy humour.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Specter Von Baren said:
Drathnoxis said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Um yeah? What's so English about spelling?
It's "concurso de deletreo" in Spanish.
Well just that I've heard other languages tend to stick more to their phonetic rules and English is just all over the place. I was just curious if they were a thing in other countries/languages.
As cultures continue to communicate with each other and rub off on one another, we'll likely see the same curiosities of English become part of their languages too. There's a lot of weird spellings in English because a lot of the words come from other languages. As other languages continue to take phrases and words from their neighbors they will also begin to change.
Some cultures are pretty fast to change the spelling of an imported word to what makes sense phonetically. Some other cultures import the spelling but then pronounce the new word as written, even if it sounds nothing like the original.

And then many countries have official language reforms that modify spelling to fit (the ever evolving) pronounciation.

Now English has not the most unituitive spelling of all languages with phonetic alphabeths. But it is cerainly one of the leading contenders.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Neurotic Void Melody said:
People take things very seriously at funerals. The riskiest of situations to deploy humour.
And yet the one where people are most in need of cheering up.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
It's such a mess that apparently simply being able to spell correctly is a feat worthy of acclaim in the form of contests.
I always saw that less as a reflection of the language itself, and more a reflection of how incredibly boring people like to spend their time.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
It sounds really boring to be honest. We have some dumb game shows and that big brother garbage here, but I don't think I've ever seen a spelling contest on brazilian TV. I guess we're more interested in bikini babes doing stupid stuff, like this:

NSFW-ish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPu4aUY8uDE

I think it's fair to say that this is more educational.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Not really.

French has dict?es, but I can't recall a single proper spelling bee.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Specter Von Baren said:
Relevant. Had this pop in my new tab.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/english-is-not-normal?utm_source=pocket-newtab
That was very long. But pretty interesting.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
As an Englishman I always found the idea of Spelling Bees one of the trashier Stateside inventions. The English language is tricky, sure, but elevating something as fundamental as SPELLING to a status where you're considered exceptional and given prizes if you can do it? Good grief. I don't know if that's how it's perceived in the US, but to me it sounds like one of the most anti-intellectual statements you could make.

Almost as unsettling is the suburban sweatshop industry of kids who get "coached" for spelling competitions by their insufferable helicopter parents. It's like dressage or pedigree dog shows for preteens. Yuck.