Is this a perfect world?

Nathaniel Grey

Dec 18, 2013
So I was conversing with my brother yesterday and I asked him "Do you think the world we live in is perfect?". He said that he believed that at one-time this world was perfect but then sin was introduced, in turn making the world imperfect. Now your answer to this question might vary depending on your faith, if you even have a faith, but I think that the world we live in is "Imperfectly perfect". Meaning to say that the death, the murders, the war, all the atrocities that have happened, and will ever happened, are "good". By good I do not mean that those actions are justified or right, but they must exist in order for this world to be "perfect".

My reason for coming to this conclusion is convoluted at best so please bear with me. My first thought was of Hitler. Now, I don't like Hitler. I think Hitler was a jerk, ingrate, [insert dirty word here]. But I can't deny all the things I have come to love that his existence has given birth to. The movies, the books, the games, the TV shows, the art, etc... Through his evil beauty was born and continues to be born. I believe it is the yin and yang of the world we live in. That within good there will be evil and within evil there will always be good. One cannot exist without the other.

My second theory revolves around the idea of creating the perfect world. Chances are if you were given all the power throughout the cosmos you would try to bring peace. No war, no death, no sickness, no hunger, yada yada yada, bing bang boom, and poof... there it is. But it's not that easy. Because there is one rule. You may not interfere in an obvious way. Meaning you can't magically spawn food. Why? Well, that's easy Jimmy because it doesn't happen in the world we live now. Or perhaps it does, who am I to say it doesn't, but the way in which occurs currently allows for reasonable doubt. Meaning there is no giant hand in the sky reaching down and making grass grow. In a manner that everyone around the world can agree that there is a hand in the sky that makes the grass grow.

Let's start with ridding the world of sickness. Bacteria and viruses are the prime causes of sickness. As a solution you could get rid of the one's that cause harm. Problem is that getting rid of any any element causes more issues. Bacteria help produce a multitude of oxygen and nitrogen in the air. If you wish to get rid of the bacteria and alternative means of human survival needs to be created. Simply put, the world we live in is a complicated spider web. A very large one at that and even if you had the power to change everything without the knowledge on the "how to" or the "what to" it is useless. I haven't even started to delve into the complications of getting rid of death, war, and hunger. Even if you could stop death you have to then figure out how to deal with overpopulation. War cannot be stopped without changing human emotions. Getting rid of jealousy, anger, and hatred would be a start. But if you do that then those beings aren't human any more? Are they? My attention span is starting to wear and I'm starting to become annoyed just thinking about this. Point is that all scenarios of a perfect world lead to this one. At least that's how I feel.

But this isn't about how feel. Please tell me what you think of this thing that we call life.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Nathaniel Grey said:
Snip
but I think that the world we live in is "Imperfectly perfect".
I like you you clever boy, although that's because I kind of agree with you in that perfection is not perfect without some imperfections, perfection is boring, dull and mundane its the highs and lows that matter not the continual meh, If everything was 'perfect' I think people would get bored and fall into an empty husk or become psychotic to create some entertainment.
Edit;
Not sure if anyone has done this yet, but welcome to the escapist stay out of the basement and do not click the red button.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To sum it up without getting too philosophical about it (and my lack of English spelling and grammer skills), no it isn't but that's ok. Even then everyone has a different view on what is "perfect".

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The way I see it, true perfection is impossible but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make the world a better place and ourselves better people. Defining a past action as 'good' or 'bad' is always hard when taking a wide view, take for example WWII. While it's terrible all the people who suffered and died during the war, if it had not happened the world would be so different none of us would exist as we are now, if we even existed at-all. Our grandparents and parents might have never met, or have met someone-else who would have existed had it not been for the war. Nevertheless, it's still clear we should condemn needless and unjust suffering and prevent it where possible, even if we wouldn't exist if not for past suffering.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Perfect? Nope. Far from it. Hmm, how did that one poster phrase it?

KissingSunlight said:
Race, gender, and religious/morality issues are designed to keep people segregated. If people put aside their differences and see what is really keeping them down, we all would be overthrowing the government and dismantling corporations.
Thank you for that. The world could be a much better place, not perfect, just better, if people and corporations in positions of power were stripped of their influence.

roonder

Nov 27, 2013
Lack of proper education, personal ambitions and convictions, rebellious attitude, the fact that money dominates most of the world even justice, and the lack of human values which are thought from the home. These are just some causes and while some question really lack answer what I can say for sure is that the way many of these people grow or are raised affects their behaviour.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
In a perfect world, every single person would be happy. As that is not the case, no, I don't think the world is perfect. I think this is a good thing though, as a perfect world is utterly impossible but our collective desire for one is what helps us achieve a better world every day. To think we have a perfect world to me means you don't think we can do better, which is pretty sad. I don't think you or those like you actually think that, TC, but that's the implication I see.

So while the sun will explode long before this world could ever become perfect, better by the day is good enough for me.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
In a perfect world, every single person would be happy.
Why settle for that? Why not have a world where all animals are content and happy as well?

The world is what it is, it has good and it has bad, I'm not sure what use it would be trying to think if it could be better in ways we can't do anything about.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
The world we live in is perfect, but imperfect wankers (A.K.A the human race) are what make it seem less so,there is enough resources to sustain life for billions of years without trouble then we get greedy and start bleeding it dry resulting in war and "yada yada" you see where this is going...

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
The world became perfect the day I was born.

The world will slide back in slimy imperfection on the day of my death.

I am San Martin, I am the perfect being, and I demand your adoration.

Adore me, fear me, love me. This is the Sanmartinian Way. Join us, and your dreams shall forever be...blissful.

Ooh baby, I can feel it.

OT: There are currently nearly 30 million slaves in the world. Shit ain't perfect.

Captcha: "Shane, come back." But Rick killed him in season 2?

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Not a chance, but it could be worse.

Really perfect would be boring without all that drama to inspire our entertainment anyway.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Nathaniel Grey said:
Now your answer to this question might vary depending on your faith, if you even have a faith, but I think that the world we live in is "Imperfectly perfect".
But this isn't about how feel. Please tell me what you think of this thing that we call life.
Maybe you should change your Escapist handle to "Candide"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

OT: Personally, I don't believe in perfection - except, perhaps, on the small scale. A "perfect moment" might exist, for instance, but certainly not a perfect reality - or any perfect objects within reality.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with reality. It simply is. We're the ones who keep tying to place judgements on it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The problem with a perfect world is that there's no room for diversity. Different groups have different visions of a perfect world. John lennons idea of a perfect world is likely different from a Christians. Because each group has a different opinion on how things should be, they compete. If we can't even agree on what a perfect world is, how can we create one? We can't. And that's not bad, because a "perfect" world would be a sterile world where everyone is the same. I prefer diversity, so I'm fine with the world, warts and all.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
What about things like earthquakes?
What is the benefit of earthquakes? If they were to disappear completely, what would the downside be?
What about tsunamis and tornadoes?
What about the fact that if one big enough rock hits our planet, we're dead?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Lieju said:
Kolby Jack said:
In a perfect world, every single person would be happy.
Why settle for that? Why not have a world where all animals are content and happy as well?

The world is what it is, it has good and it has bad, I'm not sure what use it would be trying to think if it could be better in ways we can't do anything about.
Person doesn't necessarily only apply to humans. It applies to any self-aware, sentient being. Some animals are smart enough to be called persons, I think. Not many, but some.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Fox12 said:
The problem with a perfect world is that there's no room for diversity. Different groups have different visions of a perfect world. John lennons idea of a perfect world is likely different from a Christians. Because each group has a different opinion on how things should be, they compete. If we can't even agree on what a perfect world is, how can we create one? We can't. And that's not bad, because a "perfect" world would be a sterile world where everyone is the same. I prefer diversity, so I'm fine with the world, warts and all.
Basically this, in fact this is why I think the concept of perfect itself is flawed, and should be drooped as childish. For things outside of math also possibly, the whole of the universe, or the creator if your religious. Simply put if something is perfect it must be eternal, but nothing can be eternal without being unchanging, but if its unchanging than its boring, but if its boring than somethings wrong with it and its not perfect.

j1015

Sep 6, 2012
JoshGod said:
Nathaniel Grey said:
Snip
but I think that the world we live in is "Imperfectly perfect".
I like you you clever boy, although that's because I kind of agree with you in that perfection is not perfect without some imperfections, perfection is boring, dull and mundane its the highs and lows that matter not the continual meh, If everything was 'perfect' I think people would get bored and fall into an empty husk or become psychotic to create some entertainment.
Edit;
Not sure if anyone has done this yet, but welcome to the escapist stay out of the basement and do not click the red button.
I always find this statement interesting and not the least bit simple-minded. How can we know perfection is boring if we've never experienced perfection? How do we know that a perfect society that didn't spend obscene amounts of money on war and disease wouldn't be interesting in that more time and resources could be spent learning the immeasurable amount of knowledge that we don't know about the human body, wildlife, plant life, aquatic life, not to mention space? I could go on and on, but the point is that no one that has put some serious thought into it can claim that a would without imperfections would boring. Maybe a world without differences, but differences and imperfections are not the same thing.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
The only true perfection lies in complete absence of everything. Imagine an empty space, utterly devoid of matter, life, even time itself, where anything and everything is meaningless. As long as anything exists, there will always be imperfection, however fleeting or insignificant. As long as humans exist, there will always be someone wanting more of something.

Our world is not perfect. It never was, it will never be. Now the real question is: is seeking perfection even desirable? Should we not strive to improve what we already have instead?