Is this at all acceptable?

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Grandpa was right.
He's just trying to save us from another "I like this girl but I got friend zoned/She doesn't like me blah blah blah" thread

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Creepy yes, however what's the problem with just using shampoo, presumably you wash already and it's just a different shampoo no more time or effort.
And sorry but dandruff is kinda horrible especially if you favour a black wardrobe, I would never be any less nice to someone due to it but really it's like not a chore to wash your hair and sets a bad first impression.

Mar 30, 2010
AtheistGuy said:
So to make a long story short, I have dandruff. This dandruff bothers my grandfather (Who I live with). I don't want to use any shampoo for it since it, quite honestly, doesn't bother me in the least. So he's taken it upon himself to actually put some drops on my head to get rid of it. The problem? I'm asleep when he does it.

SO it's a pretty straightforward question. Is this acceptable?
It's creepy that your grandfather sneaks into your room at night to sort out your hygene issues, but it's also messed up that he has to. You mentioned that you live with your grandfather, and I'm assuming that that means you live in his house. Perhaps the guy doesn't like you trailing a cloud of dead skin after you all around his house. And if it's his house, then it's his rules fella. If he asked you to sort your hygiene out when living in his home, you had no right to say no in the first place.

So is it weird he's taking these rather creepy measures? Yeah. Is it entirely your fault that he is doing so? Also, yeah.

freddi91

Dec 9, 2009
depending on how bad your dandruff is, it might not be curable without pharmaceutical products.
so if really ntohing works,a nd if the dandruff appears in small to large flakes up to the size of the butt of a pencil go to your doctor, in europe the shampoo is called something like "ketocornazol"

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
No, he shouldn't be putting drops on your head while you sleep. But you should also just get over it and deal with the issue yourself. Assuming your dandruff can be dealt with with a simple dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders it should not be a big deal for you to use some. It's literally not one bit of extra effort on your part if you already bathe and shampoo regularly, and if not, then that's just disgusting.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
What I wanna know is how can you're dandruff be bad enough to bother someone else and not bother you, whose head it is on? If it's that bad I don't see how you're not bothered. Maybe you should use some better shampoo.

Or go all house war on his ass and get him back somehow. But that's never as interesting as children's movies make it seem.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Wait, exactly what kind of drops is he putting in your hair when you are asleep? because I might have a few myths to dispel for him about the effectiveness of hair shine on said "drops"...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I used to not be bothered about dandruff, until it cost me on a few dates I had. My advise would be to use the shampoo and clear it up.

To quote an old Chinese proverb (thatijustmadeupnow), "birds never spread wings in a snowstorm".

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Maybe he just doesn't want people to think your unhygenic, I mean on the surface dandruff might appear to be a sign of bad hygene, although washing your hair probably makes it worse.

I don't think that's creepy, it's not like he's cutting your toenails or shaving you in your sleep. He's your grandfather, if you won't comply with his wishes, he'll go ahead and do whatever he thinks needs done, no matter how strange that might appear. Who can really say what is acceptable for a grandfather to do for his grandson, especially when you seem to be ignoring his advice.

Take the hint though, if an old man thinks it's unnaceptable for you to go around covered in dandruff, well maybe he's right. My younger brother has really bad dandruff and it looks terrible. If you have a problem with your teeth you go see a dentist, and that's a helluva lot less pleasant than using tea-tree shampoo. It's not vanity, it's common sense, and self respect, and I personally think your lucky to have a family that will go to those lengths in your best interest. Go buy some tea-tree shampoo, or some sort of dandruff treatment, and make the old man happy.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Or stop taking hot showers. Use warm water instead and a moisturising shampoo, keeps you scalp from drying out.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
The Last Nomad said:
What I wanna know is how can you're dandruff be bad enough to bother someone else and not bother you, whose head it is on? If it's that bad I don't see how you're not bothered. Maybe you should use some better shampoo.
.........really? you REALLY dont see how someone shedding flakes of dead skin from their scalp all over someone elses house would bother them? my brother had dandruff (he doesnt live with me) and when he visited a couple times he got those freaking flakes all over my bed when he played my xbox. i pointed out that he had dandruff, he said he was aware, i said he should use head and shoulders, he agreed and used it. end of story. it didnt bother HIM in the slightest, but he knew it bothered other people and its pretty gross.

@OP: you are grossing him out with your dandruff. im guessing its his house, and you are getting your disgusting head-flakes all over the place.

fixing the situation is as simple as using head and shoulders for a while. as i said, my brother had dandruff. it was gone within a week of him using the stuff.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well, it's your hair. Tell your grandpa to back off. Gently. It is not creepy, that's just how elder people behave. Still, you oughta take care of dandruff. You might think it doesn't bother you now but it is simply the gentle form of a much bigger problem. You don't want it to turn aggresive, trust me.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Tom Milner said:
seeing as i too don't care about cranial hygiene, tell him to pack it in, and find motivation to DIY.
Dandruff is not derived from the skull and is therefore in no way cranial.
If you're going to use long words to appear intelligent, at least use the correct words.

OT - It's a bit weird, but than so is not being bothered to take a minor step like switching shampoo to take care of the problem. It's been pointed out, but people will judge you for having dandruff. Petty? Yes, but it happens.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Vykrel said:
The Last Nomad said:
.........really? you REALLY dont see how someone shedding flakes of dead skin from their scalp all over someone elses house would bother them? my brother had dandruff (he doesnt live with me) and when he visited a couple times he got those freaking flakes all over my bed when he played my xbox. i pointed out that he had dandruff, he said he was aware, i said he should use head and shoulders, he agreed and used it. end of story. it didnt bother HIM in the slightest, but he knew it bothered other people and its pretty gross.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was wondering how the fuck it didn't bother him, I had dandruff when I was a kid and it wasn't that bad but it irritated the fuck outta me. I fucking hated having an itchy scalp and getting bits of dead skin under my nails when I scratched it. What was wondering was how does it not bother the OP if its bad enough to bother someone else.
And I can clearly see how it could bother other people too. Nobody wants flakes of skin all over their house (As long as their not clearly visable, human skin makes up the majority of dust in a house and in the air).

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
katsabas said:
Well, it's your hair. Tell your grandpa to back off. Gently. It is not creepy, that's just how elder people behave. Still, you oughta take care of dandruff. You might think it doesn't bother you now but it is simply the gentle form of a much bigger problem. You don't want it to turn aggresive, trust me.

"Back off Grandpa. This is MY hair. Me and my hair don't follow your rules no more." -Rebel without a medicated shampoo

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
"Back off Grandpa. This is MY hair. Me and my hair don't follow your rules no more." -Rebel without a medicated shampoo
And now I'm picturing Lono saying this.
It's scary, Dog.