Is This Clip Sexist?

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I dunno if it was sexist, but I think Whedon has a point when he says we've seen these characters before. She's all business and just can't let her hair down, he's an uncouth womanizer who resents the callousness of the Man and dress codes. Looked like a typical rom com setup to me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Because people watch dinosaur movies for the sexual tension, right? Priorities!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I wouldn't call it sexist. That being said the clip is making me do everything but rush to the movies to see the movie when it releases.
Pratt's character seems to be even more the stereotypical womanizing immature man but without all the charme, charisma and humor that the character Starlord had.
It just doesn't really look like a good movie.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
how is this supposed to be sexist again? is it that the male character keeps talking about sex?
or maybe he's talking about the tropes being used in which case i can kinda see his point.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
this is a dumb remake.
I guess if you really want to reach out and say it's sexist it's sexist but at this point you might want to start looking for the commies in your coffee. Actually no scratch that, the man is being lewd there is no sexist content there the only one that is close to reenforcing gender roles is the woman with the pants comment.
As for Whedon, don't listen to him he's in the wrong place, I think he's drunk or mad or something.
I mean it's certainly stupid and that female character is perhaps one of the least likeable I've seen in a bit, the guy, less so but not much.
I would not want to watch a movie where these two mooks were featured heavily in it.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Redryhno said:
mecegirl said:
He's being a sexist asshole. She's there to talk about business and he won't stop hounding her over past relationship shit. So they had a bad date, big deal. They will probably get (back?)together in the movie, but in real life his attitude would be a big indication to her that she dodged a bullet by not going on a second date.

Not sure if I'd call it sexist, but it has been done to death. Right now they seem to be setting the female character up as what TV tropes calls a Defrosting Ice Queen. Its been done to death, can she not just simply be a scientist lady that's good at her job? Do we really need to imply that she's emotionless and cold instead of just neat and focused? If she were male they wouldn't be so quick to try and force feed us a romantic subplot. The two characters would just not like each other because their personalities were too different. Not because of unresolved sexual tension or whatever.
What made you think she was emotionless and cold...the only indication of that would be Pratt's character's spiel about her not seeing them as anything more than a scientific advancement. Which honestly is probably true, and it's not like neat and focused are the opposites of that. I mean if she was a bleeding heart, people would be complaining about how she's crap at her job because she wasn't focused enough.

And even then, I didn't see her as cold or emotionless, she just doesn't have the same perspective as he does since she works in a lab(presumably) and he works with them directly. Like, c'mon, how many times have they pulled the "scientist doesn't have the same thinking patterns as the normal guy working with their creations because they don't interact with them" in sci-fi? Or how many times have you run into hardcore book-smart nerds that just don't work as well outside of a controlled environment in real life?

Unless of course this is supposed to be a joke post, in which case, I laugh too.
What would you call someone who plans an itinerary for a date? Organized, pretentious...

I think the character is slightly sexist, but this is a guy that has to remember his primal emotions, he has befriended velociraptors. This scene is more of a brawn vs brain thing. At least in my view anyway

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sexist? No. Bit stereotypical and cliched, but that's about it.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
*facepalm*

I like Joss. I don't like most of his work but I like him. He is off his rocker here.

The guy is coming off as a bit of a creep it's true, but is that the nature of how those two interact as they clearly know each other, or is it him? Secondly, we have nothing on their overall relationship from this 2 minute or so soundbite. The scene is out of context with the rest of the movie. A couple of people have played that game with Joss's work and it was every bit as unfair but hilarious as it was using his own measuring stick against him.

the character could easily be a sexist. there is enough there to jump to that conclusion, but to call the whole scene sexist is fucking stupid. She is not just standing there and taking it. She is not acting as if he has a right to talk to her like that and the tone of the scene itself kinda looks like it's taking the piss at him. All this shadow jumping is kinda depressing actually.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
People really need to get some thicker skin if they find this sexist/offensive. It's sarcastic banter between people that seem to have known each other for some time with one trying to get a bit of a rise out of the other. I see zero problem with it, even if their roles were reversed.

Also Wheadon shouldn't talk considering how comic book(/movie) females are generally framed. Stones and glass houses Joss. *points thumb at Tony Stark*

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
My view of this often is:

If you have to ask whether or not something is sexist/racist/homophobic/etc, why do you even ask? With a tiny bit of effort someone can see injustice anywhere. Sure, sometimes it's actually legitimate, but generally not.

For the record, that clip: no, it's not.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure if we look hard enough someone somewhere will end up being offended by fruit and possibly air.
And by internet law a filthy male really isn't allowed to speak with the preciousness that is a woman, especially not about sex, I'm surprised the man hasn't been put to a firing squad yet.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
What was Whedon's claim to fame again? Being Wesley Crusher and having a moderately successful youtube channel? I don't see how that makes him an authority on sexism, and him calling this clip sexist emboldens me in that opinion.
Though even if one of the characters was sexist, which you could maybe make a case for, calling the clip itself sexist is misguided. Sexist (racist/etc) characters don't make a sexist (racist/etc) movie. It's ridiculous to connect the two.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Davroth said:
What was Whedon's claim to fame again? Being Wesley Crusher and having a moderately successful youtube channel? I don't see how that makes him an authority on sexism, and him calling this clip sexist emboldens me in that opinion. Though even if one of the characters was sexist, which you could maybe make a case for, calling the clip itself sexist is misguided. Sexist (racist/etc) characters don't make a sexist (racist/etc) movie. It's ridiculous to connect the two.
I think they're talking about Joss Whedon, of Firefly, Avengers and Buffy fame. Not Wil Wheaton, of Wesley Crusher infamy.

On topic: Whedon's full of shit, I am not surprised by this.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Megalodon said:
Davroth said:
What was Whedon's claim to fame again? Being Wesley Crusher and having a moderately successful youtube channel? I don't see how that makes him an authority on sexism, and him calling this clip sexist emboldens me in that opinion. Though even if one of the characters was sexist, which you could maybe make a case for, calling the clip itself sexist is misguided. Sexist (racist/etc) characters don't make a sexist (racist/etc) movie. It's ridiculous to connect the two.
I think they're talking about Joss Whedon, of Firefly, Avengers and Buffy fame. Not Wil Wheaton, of Wesley Crusher infamy.

On topic: Whedon's full of shit, I am not surprised by this.

OOooooh that guy.

Yeah, I know that guy. I bet his new friends never ask him what he thought when he made Doll House. I'm doubly not surprised that guy doesn't know what sexism is, then.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Well, if thought the conversation was funny. And the two charcaters obviously know each other. It would probably be different if they were strangers, then the guy would come across as...hm, akward I guess? Context matters and all that.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
The depiction of sexism in media is not itself sexist. So no on that point.

At worst, the sexist comment was extremely mildly sexist and possibly not even sexist depending on context. So not really on that point either.

And finally, really? Whedon's calling out JW for something that mild? By that metric everything Whedon's ever done is sexist.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
IOwnTheSpire said:
I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere on the forums, but anyways, this is a clip from the upcoming Jurassic World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfZwU24LWIA

Joss Whedon on Twitter called this sexist, and frankly, I just can't see it, and I think he (and others) throw out the word sexist way too casually. I wanted to know what others think, do you think this is sexist? Why or why not?
It's dino-cist if anything... At least the lady is.

But yeah, Whedon is a pretty irrational individual, we had already established that years ago.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I suppose scientist ladies has a tendency of being depicted as uptight neat freaks or whatever so I guess it can be argued there's some slight sexism in once again pulling inspiration from that somewhat tired archetype, same can be said about Pratt's character.
But personally I'd call it a little uninspired or even lazy more than anything.

Smooth Operator said:
I'm pretty sure if we look hard enough someone somewhere will end up being offended by fruit and possibly air.

http://i.imgur.com/3MdC2vA.jpg