Is this generation reading books less?

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
IkeGreil29 said:
I think we read differently. We no longer expect Herman Melville novels, but Twilight novels that are shitty and straight to the point, because our lives are in such a rush. I also think we actually read more, because of all the crap we read online.
There has and always will be be pulpier easily consumable media in every medium. The 'classics' were the exceptions not the rules, the Dan Browns and Twilights of the day are always popular.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
kman123 said:
Oh most definitely. Reading is less and less prevalent now.
:'(

Sad but true. Books were a huge part of my childhood and still are something that follows me everywhere. LOCAL LIBRARIES FTW!

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
Yes, my cousin laughs when I say I read, or even suggest reading. It's getting to be a mark of intelligence if you DO read. I know that's a stereotype, but it's getting truer every day.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
No. My sister doesn't read books. I would be surprised if she even owned a single novel.

But she reads all day, she reads texts, IMs, Facebook Statuses, the textbooks that she loans from the school.

They read, but I think that books are becoming less popular as gaming and other more immediate media become easier to access and more mainstream.

I still read though. :) There are bookworms in schools I always occasionally see school kids reading on the train.

Sober Thal said:
What generation are we talking about?

My niece and nephew are still way too young to be reading.

EDIT: Well, my niece CAN read, but she would rather play with her dolls and watch iCarly.
I fucking LOVE iCarly.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
It's sad but... yes...

...pretty sure I'm the only one in my class that actually buys books for the sake of reading...

SiegeJack

Jun 17, 2010
I spent 2 hours day reading books in High School, so I'm pretty sure I'm beating other generations.

In case You're wondering, this is time spent reading on my own time or in class, not outside of school or whilst working.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Sober Thal said:
What generation are we talking about?

My niece and nephew are still way too young to be reading.

EDIT: Well, my niece CAN read, but she would rather play with her dolls and watch iCarly.
I'm 18 and would sometimes rather watch iCarly than read books.

OP: I guess the above answers your questions.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If you mean reading as in reading actual books and the like then yeah probably, but if you mean reading in general I'd have to say no considering the Internet is still largely requires a hell of a lot of reading and so does many aspects of gaming.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
I've actually started reading more. I used to read a hell of a lot, then stopped, and now started again. Well, this restart was a lot bigger then others I've done. I think I've read five books this summer.
OT: This generation is most likely reading less books.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Are you talking about books? because that is the only place I can see ground for. With the success of the Internet I think that more people are reading, even more than before. Think, to do pretty much anything on the Internet you need to read things.... Well at least that is the case in Australia, I don't know how the rest of the world is doing.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I'm going to go and say no for sake of the argument, how many times do you stop to text on your phone, or read a text, how about the person next to.... people do it a whole freaken lot. Do we read less books, oh by any means yes, do we read less over all? Maybe, Maybe not, we just do it in different ways, with the billboards, menu's at restaurants, Manuals for games, reading posts in forums, I could go on.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Well yes. But this is kind of obvious. When my mom was a kid she was happy when she got a book for christmas as that was one of her favourite forms of entertainment. Now, we have a lot more access to things like movies and games.

I still love a good book but I doubt I read anywhere as much as my parents did when they were young.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
are we reading less, in the case of books? Yes. Are we less literate? Not at all.

E-Readers, text in games, text messages, facebook posts, the internet, all that stuff is reading. So no, I don't think literacy has become less common.

Plus, literacy the world over is becoming more common.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
They probably read less publicly.

I'd like to say that videogames are easier to get in thsi day and age, so the option between an 8 dollar book and a 100+ video game system isnt as one sided, but i doubt that means anything.

I dotn know. I'd argue tehy're reading more, with e readers, but i could also be wrong.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
On the whole, yes.
Personally, I just got an e-book reader with 100 public domain books on it, and I've been reading Sherlock Holmes for days. I read far too much probably. I used to get in trouble for reading during classes, actually.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
People aren't reading less, they're just reading differently. Sure, people don't pick up a book, or a news paper nearly as often as they used to, but as a replacement for that, everyone is reading the internet.