Is this hardware or software problem or both

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Lately my table computer has become a source of more annoyment than fun and enjoyment. System is five years old, but only original parts left are motherboard and hard drives. During this time Windows Vista (32bit) hasn't been reinstalled once (a packet computer with pre installed Windows so I don't have disc to install from).

First of all, many programs have stopped working. Like Open Office applications and TeamSpeak that have been on my computer for a long time. Main reason seems to be that computer couldn't locate something from hard drive (yeah seems hardware problem alright but be patient). Reinstalling fixes the problem. Also external devices like printers aren't working as soon as I start to print anything rndll.32 or something crashes immediately. Computer won't neither recognize memory stikcs, headphones nor memory sticks. DxDiag and system diagnostics give the hardware clean light.

Secondly, while writing two paragrapsh above I got four lag spikes. Make it five now. I've run Norton full system check as well Norton Power Eraser and AVG, and Spybot scans and all give clean results even in safe mode. Also Norton crashes soon after startting Windows. During games there is no lag or whatsoever problems.

Thirdly, might be due to Norton problems, but many apllications that require internet won't work. Internet itself is fine and all, but for example I can't currently log in Origin or Wargame: European escalation (Steam works).

So what steps I should take.
1) Buy Windows 7
2) Buy new motherboard
3) Both
4) Give a truckload of money for some computer repairman who most likely does thing mentioned above

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/27/2012, 23:22:26

Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120305-0430)
Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)
System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
System Model: MS-7304VP
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2814MB RAM
Page File: 1564MB used, 4276MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
With those specs, I'd upgrade the RAM to 4GB at least and get Windows 7, install fresh to a new HDD (ideally an SATA one). Then start the slow process of migrating your data over. It doesn't seem like you really need to upgrade, unless you have the money to spare and wouldn't mind a more powerful computer for gaming.

It sounds more like you need to defrag your HDD and clean up all the crap that tends to accumulate in a Windows system from installing and uninstalling programs all the time. I tend to reinstall Windows that every 2 years or so, for exactly that reason.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Hardware sounds fine to me, that Vista thing on the other hand is anything but healthy for ones mental status.

I would suggest you find a computer guy in your vicinity(there is always someone) and have him check things over and possibly install a new OS.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
Yea, Vista is an operating system that requires quite a bit of ram, just for Vista. If you don't have enough for minimum reqs for Vista and you're running other programs, it will degrade your system over time. I agree with Mr.K, get rid of Vista. I would also go to Seagate even if your drive isn't from them, they have a great hard drive scanner that will scan any drive whether from them or not, it will try to repair errors and if it's totally fucked, let you know. It might just be a good idea to upgrade to a new system, I just built a great gaming rig for $1200.00 about 8 months ago and never had a problem. The time and headache of fixing just might be worth sparing some change to not go through.