Is this legal?

trooper112

Mar 10, 2009
I was reading a article on how you can play gamecube and wii games on your pc using the dolphin emulator and run them at 1080p, the thing is I can't dump my gc/wii games because my dvd drive can't read them, so the only way I can get the games is to download the iso's of the internet. Is this legal as long as I only download games that I already own, what do you think.

Thank You

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
Last I heard it's legal to download games you already own. Not 100% positive though.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I think it's legal to do so if you dump the BIOS off your actual console rather than pirating them, otherwise you should be safe.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
I heard the same thing but it's definitly worth checking the legalities from someone who knows. Also if it's a P2P then you are also uploading it so it becomes even more shady. As I say, Check first.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's illegal even if you own the game, but there's a bit more of a reason here than in most cases.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain it's illegal, just less morally reprehensible.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
OutcastBOS said:
Last I heard it's legal to download games you already own. Not 100% positive though.
Nope, your allowed to make a copy of what you own, since your downloading a copy its not a copy of what you own, hence its illegal.

If you somehow lose or sell the original, you are not entitled to that copy.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Couldn't you just rip the ISO yourself?

Use something like Alcohol 52%. I think it should work.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
It's illegal, unfortunately. Actually, the way software licensing laws and copyright is going, backups are almost illegal at this point.

Morally, it should be obvious that doing this with games you already own should be alright. But... Since when has the law had anything to do with morality?

Tharwen said:

Maybe. Maybe not. The Wii's DVD drive intentionally works differently from a normal one. (it spins in the opposite direction, I think.)

Perhaps some DVD drives can cope with this, but most cannot. Equally, it sort of helps explain why the Wii can't play ordinary DVD's. (Except it doesn't, because hackers have proved a Wii's software can be modified to read standard DVD's.)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
It's illegal, unfortunately. Actually, the way software licensing laws and copyright is going, backups are almost illegal at this point.

Morally, it should be obvious that doing this with games you already own should be alright. But... Since when has the law had anything to do with morality?

Tharwen said:

Maybe. Maybe not. The Wii's DVD drive intentionally works differently from a normal one. (it spins in the opposite direction, I think.)

Perhaps some DVD drives can cope with this, but most cannot. Equally, it sort of helps explain why the Wii can't play ordinary DVD's. (Except it doesn't, because hackers have proved a Wii's software can be modified to read standard DVD's.)
Oh. And Gamecube disks won't work because they're the wrong size.

Silly Nintendo! Anyway, no-one's going to blame you if you pirate a couple of games you already own.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
It is illegal to download from a third party. You may, however create copies (archives) of material that you own and have in your possession.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
trooper112 said:
I was reading a article on how you can play gamecube and wii games on your pc using the dolphin emulator and run them at 1080p, the thing is I can't dump my gc/wii games because my dvd drive can't read them, so the only way I can get the games is to download the iso's of the internet. Is this legal as long as I only download games that I already own, what do you think.

Thank You
Its illegal. But the real question is, do you care?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Illegal, but there's really nothing wrong with it if you actually paid for the game. That is, you can get prosecuted, but you shouldn't feel guilty about it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
LOL, wait...

Is the assumption that your computer cannot read the game cube discs based on the fact its not the size of a traditional DVD/CD?

You do realize that basically every CD/DVD drive for PC since 2000 has an indentation that fits that specific disc size. Try fitting it into that smaller tray and let me know if it reads because something tells me that the people hacking got an original source file from somewhere, and they didnt need special equipment to do it.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
The Dolphin emulator is legal, and keeping a soft copy of games you own is also legal, therefore you can play your own games on the emu perfectly in the right.

Downloading isos, even if you own a copy of the game, is illegal.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
You're asking the wrong question. Don't ask "Is this legal?" - ask "Is this legal where I am?" Internationally, laws on this vary immensely.

Format shifting of copyright material (e.g. making a hard drive backup of a game disc you own) is not legal in the UK. Technically, you're breaking the law every time you rip a CD and copy it to your MP3 player. So, copying your Gamecube BIOS and game discs is right out.

Are you likely to be prosecuted? No, but you're still breaking the law. It's up to you whether you want to do that or not.