Is this legal?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
You already paid for the game, as long as you're not selling or distributing it you are free to create copies for your own use. "Creating a copy" can be loosely translated into downloading a copy, I guess.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
Morally wrong? No. But as people pointed out it isn't legal.
If you want my opinion, only download the games that you've already bought and delete the torrents as soon as the downloads are done. I know some p2p software has a "Download but don't let other people download from me" option.

Murray Kitson

Mar 8, 2011
I'm not sure with games, but with movies you can have a copy on your hard drive and one physical copy made for backup as long as you have the original. This is actually a little known fact about copyrite that I like because I HATE disc swapping with a passion. Much easier to just mount an image to play than to put things away and pull the next one out. I would imagine video games would follow similar rules in this regard. Also, consider the fact that no one ever checks these things. Police in Canada can see a list of 1000 movies on your hard drive and not care. (had this happen to a friend who was providing evidence) there are much bigger fish to fry out there.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I'm sure it's illegal but if I owned them, I'd definitely do it without a thought. I can't be bothered by what some corporation thinks...about anything.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
To be honest, I don't actually care. Emulating higher-tier systems is taxing on a computer anyway and all my gamecube problems can be solved with the perchase of a relatively-inexpensive Wii.