Is this such a big deal?

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Diligent said:
InnerRebellion said:
Yeah, it's the first one. The population is around 10,000...oh lookie, here's a Wiki page on our little place! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbrook,_Massachusetts
I read as far as "the last town created from the former lands of Braintree." and am forced to conclude that "The Braintree" is a pulsating evil at the heart of your town, it's massive fleshy tentacle-like roots stretching far and wide, and controlling the minds of your fellow townsfolk for it's own dark purposes. You are lucky to not be affected, and should escape immediately.

Seriously though, good on you for being a compassionate human being. It's really not a big deal, but I know how small towns can be.
Oh my that made my day. Bravo to you.

But in all seriousness, thanks to all the feedback on this. I wish that it was just happening in my town and could be contained, but we have to admit this is happening on a national...no, a global scale.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
InnerRebellion said:
Many people in the town are well aware of his condition, and have labeled him an "undesirable", or someone nobody should associate with.

A day later, I'm ignored all over town (well, that's the usual, but it was an eerie avoidance, nobody even looked at me). Now, is it such a big deal that I happen to see my girlfriend's ill brother as a person? Or is my town just full of prats?
... the fuck? I didn't know towns like these still existed I thought since this is 2010 towns that do that were gone yeah it does sound like you're in a town full of prats

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
if I ever become an evil ruler of the world your town is on my list of places to "clean" for a race of people where idiots aren't allowed to have or raise children.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
My mother is a special ed teacher... I'm glad we don't live where you do, because we'd be alienated by the whole place...

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
Your town is full of inbred, narrow minded prats. They sound like horrid people. Never mind them, you are obviously better than them. Good for you.
I pity them.

BuchalBainne

Apr 2, 2010
Your town is full of clanish prats my friend. Laugh at them and their pitiful lives.

Better yet, go on a tire slashing rampage! :D

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Wow, talk about mob-mentality for that town. Personally sounds like a crappy town if you ask me.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
After reading all 3 pages of responses I can say, I agree with almost everyone. Your town sucks and is full of closed minded ninnies. You are being a good person by talking to this child. Keep talking to the kid and next time the Ice Cream parlor goes silent mutter something like "He's more of a human being than any of you" just to make them feel bad or get pissy

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
If what your saying about the town is true then I think that town needs to fucking grow up.

You seem to be a very caring person :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm autistic as well. High functioning which is basically saying I have a minor case of autism.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Yeah, when I first joined cadets there was an autistic kid in our squadron, whom my fellow cadets advised me to ignore. I went against their advice, and suffice to say I didn't really hit it off with any of them. Hit it off with the autistic kid though. So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Your fellow townspeople, on the other hand, need to have the douchebag slapped out of them.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Hooray! A story that supports my increasingly misanthropic and nihilistic view of humanity! Not quite mass murder or child rape level, but it will do for the moment until I can find something else.

And hooray also for the level of vitriol and stereotyping against an entire group of people no-one here has ever met, based on the unsubstantiated statement of one person. Good to see that as well. Oh internet, how you do spoil me.

Mar 9, 2010
Town of prats. Your girlfriends brother has had a life full of bad luck and you were actually decent enough to treat him normally. The other people clearly have way more problems than your girlfriends brother, that's for sure.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
'prat' is far too mild a word for the folks of your town, that makes me sick to my very stomach. To make a pariah of someone for simply having the decency, no, the simple courtesy to speak to someone afflicted by such conditions as the person they are is absolutely desipcable.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
InnerRebellion said:
Diligent said:
InnerRebellion said:
Yeah, it's the first one. The population is around 10,000...oh lookie, here's a Wiki page on our little place! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbrook,_Massachusetts
I read as far as "the last town created from the former lands of Braintree." and am forced to conclude that "The Braintree" is a pulsating evil at the heart of your town, it's massive fleshy tentacle-like roots stretching far and wide, and controlling the minds of your fellow townsfolk for it's own dark purposes. You are lucky to not be affected, and should escape immediately.

Seriously though, good on you for being a compassionate human being. It's really not a big deal, but I know how small towns can be.
Oh my that made my day. Bravo to you.

But in all seriousness, thanks to all the feedback on this. I wish that it was just happening in my town and could be contained, but we have to admit this is happening on a national...no, a global scale.
Diligent, I love you.
And InnerRebellion you're right, people are intolerant filth the world over, sadly I believe it's in our nature to lord it over our percieved 'lessers'. There's not enough people able to simply set aside the deep seated unpleasantness and act as a moral man should.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Your town sounds like it's full of assholes who have no idea what it means to be a human being. If anything, you (hopefully your family as well), your girlfriend, and her family seem to be the only people with any decency in their soul. I also hope that not everyone in your town is that horrible of a person, because that would be very depressing.

I hope everything turns out ok for you, just keep going ahead with your life, and don't let ignorant bigots tell you who you can and cannot talk to.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Sounds like you're in a town full of dicks.

Oh well, you don't want to associate with them anyway.

Im Nightmare

Mar 16, 2010
KindOfnElf said:
Regrettably, I understand you cause I grew up in a town like that: small number of population, where everyone knows everyone, and when someone is not from the place (my mom for instance is not from THE town) that is rubbed in ones face ALL THE TIME. It's like... we live in prehistory and we took someones cave dammit! I don't have the words, it just sucks big time!
Ignore them, seriously. At least that's how I got by while growing up, that made me stronger person, and ummm maybe a little paranoid cause I grew up with a general opinion that people are pretty much evil things.
Just be yourself, and do what you want to need to do, and blind yourself for the prejudice coming your way. And good luck, really really good luck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbin,_Pennsylvania

Wanna talk small town? Thats where I live. Granted theres about 8 other just as small towns around it.

Bunch of redneck pricks where I live. My dads from Michigan and my mom from Tennessee. Needless to say my family is the outcast of the town.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
I have lived in towns like that. Where everyone mistreats the autistic, the handicapped and disabled. I was always taught to accept people for who they are, and to me it didn't matter if they hated me or not for it. I would rather be a person who has to end up in a scuffle upon occasion due to someone bullying autistics, than to be one of the soulless hecklers.