Is this the generation the end of quality single player games?

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Stcb said:
Insomniac Gamer said:
EDIT: Stop mentioning Bioshock. In my opinion it was the worst, most over rated piece of crap I played this generation.
That might be your problem.

EDIT: Also, no.
WTF?
what the hell was wrong with Bioshock?
An FPS with beautiful graphics, a sense of style and a deep storyline.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot more than what's on offer nowadays, Insomniac.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
And to the guy who said God of War III..... No, just.... no.
Beyond good and evil 2 FTW!
Why not? What's wrong with god of war?

Also, I've heard about that game but have no clue what is, please enlighten me.

Mythos1092

Jul 10, 2009
No, no, and no. RPG's are obviously still single player and still kicking ass, and really the only genre that's going over to the online side is FPS's, which is probably a good thing due to the way they work.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
you are wrong, I don't feel like explaining because most people has explained, lots of cool games are coming out and they basically focus on single player and multiplayer are add-ons not viceversa.
also, why the fuck do you tell us not to mention Bioshock? it was a faken' awesome game.don't ask me my opinion if it is restricted....

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
From what I've seen, Single Player is as strong as it ever was, the freakish amount of focus on Multiplayer just makes it seem like there's less good SP games around.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
To put it simply: Yep.
This generation is starting to focus more heavily on creating a "better" multiplayer experience, assuming everyone has access to online gameplay (and I say this assuming you have to pay for online content, damn you XBL). I personally can't stand the way games are going these days. I love being able to pick up a game and play it by myself. If I want to play a game online, I will. I don't need the story to suffer because of it. The story is generally the reason I show any interest in a game to begin with (Fallout 3).
I can only think of one game, or I guess series, of this generation that has a great story and solid multiplayer, and that's the F.E.A.R. series.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
To harsh: Killzone, Gears of War, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Assasins creed, the list goes on, some have great multiplayer to, but they all have quality single player

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:

Just that the series follows the exact same formula as devil may cry, and that every single game might as well just be the same game. (though i actually enjoyed chains of olympus).
Beyond good and evil is a brilliant mixture of third person action/adventure game mixed with slight element of fps, pokemon snap, and stealth elements. It really is the ultimate game. Too bad it's so short... :(

Yoda isOnline

Jun 19, 2009
3 words; pro-to-type. I think you'll find that it is awesome and has no multiplayer. (also bioshock, mass effect and dead space although they have already been mentioned). and, what about the games with shit multiplayer but awesome single player, such as the spliintercell series (the early ones at least) and the darkness. I rest my case.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
skcseth said:
To put it simply: Yep.
This generation is starting to focus more heavily on creating a "better" multiplayer experience, assuming everyone has access to online gameplay (and I say this assuming you have to pay for online content, damn you XBL). I personally can't stand the way games are going these days. I love being able to pick up a game and play it by myself. If I want to play a game online, I will. I don't need the story to suffer because of it. The story is generally the reason I show any interest in a game to begin with (Fallout 3).
I can only think of one game, or I guess series, of this generation that has a great story and solid multiplayer, and that's the F.E.A.R. series.
I have to say I didn't enjoy the F.E.A.R. multiplayer much. It felt a little awkward or something.

Loved the campaigns though, poeple ***** that they weren't scary enough which is true but the very clever enemy AI and meaty weapons made it a real fun game to blast your way through.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Hail Fire 998 said:
In my opinion Gears of War 2, Oblivion, Fallout, Call of Duty 4, Crackdown was fun (not very story oriented though), and Mass Effect were good for single player.
For me, there's nothing to worry about. Not yet, atleast. Unless people decide that we should only have MMOGs to play. That would be terrible.
Every one of the games you just mentioned had me occupied for weeks, and in the cae of Fallout and Oblivion, months.

Can't wait for Crackdown 2... nothing beats jumping across skyscrapers at night with the city lit up far below you.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:

Just that the series follows the exact same formula as devil may cry, and that every single game might as well just be the same game. (though i actually enjoyed chains of olympus).
Beyond good and evil is a brilliant mixture of third person action/adventure game mixed with slight element of fps, pokemon snap, and stealth elements. It really is the ultimate game. Too bad it's so short... :(
Devil May Cry was good, and god of war isn't so close to it (or atleast the third and 4th one) where it's a blatant rip-off so I don't see what you're getting there with that. And, maybe I just have low standards but I really don't care if God of war 3 is just GOW2 with better graphics, a few more combos/weapons/spells, and obviously more story mode, assuming the new gameplay additions aren't useless and the story mode continues to be ...you know...good.

pokemon snap?

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
mike1921 said:
Daedalus1942 said:

Devil May Cry was good, and god of war isn't so close to it (or atleast the third and 4th one) where it's a blatant rip-off so I don't see what you're getting there with that. And, maybe I just have low standards but I really don't care if God of war 3 is just GOW2 with better graphics, a few more combos/weapons/spells, and obviously more story mode, assuming the new gameplay additions aren't useless and the story mode continues to be ...you know...good.

pokemon snap?
Pokemon snap... it's hard to explain. you have to play it to understand.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Can't we have both awesome single player and multiplayer, like in CoD 4? Can't we all just get along (with killing both NPCs and people from across the world or living room)?

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
to be honest i loved bioshock dont see your beef with it if you didnt like that its not your style and then you really shouldnt of played it to begin with. and really you seem to be trying to come off as a jerk.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I doubt it. Fallout 3 had amazing single player, real-time strategy games and tycoon games are pretty much meant for one player, and all the bright-eyed developers with stories to tell in the indie department will keep single player alive for a very, very long time.

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
Halo Fanboy said:
Raykuza said:
How's Demon's Souls for a future quality single player game?
It isn't a single player game.

Upcoming single player games that look good Include GOW3, Brutal Legends, Bayonetta and Beyond Good and Evil 2.
I don't see how a game with capabilities for multiplayer (most of which are asynchronous) is not considered single player altogether. As long as the single player experience is solid, it should be deemed as such.