Is videogaming an addiction?

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
I belive that the term addiction is when a HABIT of doing something becomes not a simple Habit, but a NEED.
You become reliant on Drugs, Alchohol, sex, Gambling, and so on.

I have heard of things like Chocolate addiction and so on, so it wouldnt surprise me if things like Video Game addiction exist.

To me, however, no.
It is not addictive in the slightest.
If you gave me a good reason, i could, and i would, stop gaming completely the next day, and live without ever playing a video game again.

Edit: What i really mean is that if you become DEPENDANT on gaming, then it is a addiction.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Yes, gaming is an addiction. Getting exposed to it only once might harm your life forever. I'd recommend staying away from it and, as a consequence, leave these forums this instant and never return.

slipknot4 said:
Let's quote wikipedia.
Let's not.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
You can, I imagine, become mentally addicted but I wouldn't really class that anywhere near as bad as a physical addiction, which is impossible to get playing videogames, obviously.

Mymla

Jan 5, 2008
I think I'm just going to link to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNRWvabBRDc

Totalbiscuit is an excellent man.

Requx

Mar 28, 2010
I'd say anything is an addiction. Like getting up and eating breakfast, do you act normally if you get up and dont eat breakfast NO. Therefore addiction. But for legit gaming addiction, umm I think I got addicted to DOTA once or twice. That said if youve got friends doing it with you its not an addiction.

Brumbsy

Sep 20, 2010
The American Psychology Association has not defined it as an addiction. That being said, there are more video game addiction centers rising around the world. I assume the APA will add it in the next one or two publishments.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
You know, I didn't think it was an addiction but the more I think about it, it actually is.

My reasoning is, if I went cold turkey on video games, I would feel as though I have something missing deep missing in my life, knowing that I didn't have access to video games scares the heck out of me and makes me think of a dull existence.

I guess that kind of goes under the whole "I can give it up whenever I want to argument".

This post relates to me personally and not to the act of playing a video game, but I am sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

Alumit

Mar 21, 2010
GamesB2 said:
I'd say it's possible to become and addict...
I'd agree with this. It's just like alcohol and stuff. You can do it in moderation, but too too much becomes a bit dangerous.

Peace ~

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It can be an addiction, but the act of playing a video game does not make it an addiction. Anyone can be addicted to anything.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Almost anything can be an addiction. Sadly, games are quite easy to get unhealthily addicted to. But in the action in itself is not addictive.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
DustlessDragoon said:
I want to know whether you guys think playing videogames is an addiction and if so why and would you say you were addicted yourself?
I'd say it -can- be an addiction. Its more akin to food addicts than, say, drug addicts. Most people eat a reasonable amount of food, but some people feel the urge and/or need to overeat to crazy degrees.

Personally, I go through bouts of 'addiction' phases, I think, with periods of non-addiction and sometimes outright avoidance of gaming.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Addiction in the purely medical term? No. No substance is taken in, and no physical withdrawal symptoms appear. (Pheromones released in the brain would be an addiction to fun, not gaming)

Addiction in the form people use to describe compulsive behaviour, Yes ("He is addicted to biting his fingernails". He is addicted to playing video games.)

WhiteandNeardy99

Jun 8, 2010
I think it depends on the person and the circumstances, as I smoker I could give up gaming far easier than I could give up cigarettes (much to my shame) but some of my friends would find it impossible to stop gaming.