is xbox 4gb good enough?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i know this is probably somewhere else on here but none of the search functions seems to be working for me right now.
but basically my dads decided to buy me a console for my birthday/Christmas, and iv been persuaded to get an xbox,but with a £60 pound difference between the 4gb and the 250hdd version im thinking of just getting the 4gb and a few games.
im not an avid player as i dont have much free,so i really am a "casual" gamer. things like map packs and DLC dont massively interest me. so will a 4gb be enough to just save my games? (iv tried researching it online but there is a lot of conflicting info so im hoping you lovely people at the escapist can help)

so in summery, my question is:
is it worth getting the 4gb?

-thank-you in advance

EDIT: p.s i also have a 16gb flash drive (its a sandisk xbox one-but didnt realise this when i bought it haha) also not to interested in online co-op, i only have two mates who really play online and i aint bothered bout their games (call of duty and halo etc, there fun but i just dont really play them)

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
of course! if you are truly a casual gamer who doesnt download dlc, 1 MB ought to be enough for you.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
If you're not arsed about DLC n stuff, 4 gig is more than enough.

if you want mappacks and extra characters, music ripped to your HDD, installed games for quicker loading etc, then go with the 250.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
It should be, unless you want to install the games to the HDD. But otherwise, I think you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the space you have, so you don't get caught short when you want to make a new save.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Well, the bigger issue is will you want to download indie games and such from XBox Live? As a casual gamer, that seems likely. Personally, I would only consider getting the 250 GB. The ability to install the games to the hard drive is too valuable to pass up. Saves wear on your console. However, if you are that strapped for cash and are determined to get a console, buy the 4 GB, and get a 8 GB or 16 GB flash drive to tide you over until you are able to get a 250 GB hard drive from Microsoft...but be prepared to pay out the nose for it.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I suppose. You may grow to regret it eventually, but now you can just use a flask drive or something to store things, so you always have a way to store things if you run out of space. Though you will not be able to install any games at all; it's not necessary, but it does help with loading times...

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Yes, if you don't want to download anything ever it's more than enough space. My profile is only 20 something MB, and a typical game save is still only a few megabytes. However, most modern games do support dlc, many have demos which are often a gig or more (which can save you money, try out a game you're thinking of buying, find out it's rubbish from the demo save the money), there are also many excellent and affordable games on XBLA, the size of which has generally crept up to several hundred megs (they used to be capped at 50mb).

The harddrive space is also useful for storing music on (you can rip cds to it, you can't upload mp3s).

If you do go for the 4gig, you can always buy a cheap usb stick and use that for storage, if you run low on space (the 360 can format a usb sticks up to 16gb to use as substitute memory cards).

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I say, get the 250 GB one, it will mean you don't need to get a whole new console in the future, it's better to pay £60 now than about £200 later

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, unless my memory is all screwy, Games like Halo:Reach are somewhat neutered being ran on the 4gb version. Cant recall how, but do distinctly recall it being an issue of some sort.

I think it is something related to maps and installation.

I usually would suggest going the cheapest route possible in most things, but this is one where I would suggest going for the bigger drive.

A typical DLC pack runs anywhere from 300-1000mb Save files have gotten surprisingly larger as well, so a game like say New Vegas can take up 5mb a whack, and having to create new saves (not required but wise with how easily one can screw up a game) it doesnt take long to fill up 4gb of space.

If 60$ is the disparity , than it is certainly worth 60$ because 250GB is more than enough for anything you will ever want to do with it.

redsoxfantom

Jul 22, 2009
Hmm. Well, if you're not gonna get too much DLC than 4 gigs is probably fine. However, my roommate has one and there are a few games *cough*Halo Reach*cough* that cripple their functionality if there is no hard drive inserted (the 4 gigs counts as an internal USB stick for the Xbox). So, for example, I have no theater mode, no file share, and no way to download maps or videos for Reach. Just so you know what you're getting into.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I have one of them 120gb
and have used about 1gb in 3/4 of a year (no DLC) so it should be enough.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
First off. Thanks all for the advice, i know you would all come through for me haha but yeah its appreciated

Nightfalke said:
Well, the bigger issue is will you want to download indie games and such from XBox Live? As a casual gamer, that seems likely. Personally, I would only consider getting the 250 GB. The ability to install the games to the hard drive is too valuable to pass up. Saves wear on your console. However, if you are that strapped for cash and are determined to get a console, buy the 4 GB, and get a 8 GB or 16 GB flash drive to tide you over until you are able to get a 250 GB hard drive from Microsoft...but be prepared to pay out the nose for it.
first, thank-you for all the useful info :). its not an issue of budget, but i dont want my dad spending loads on it (was going to buy it myslf but he heard me and insisted ha) and i already have a 16gb sandisk thing (didnt realise it was for xbox when i bought it) so that should do for the indie games then? but truth be told i dont see ever needing 250gb, im hoping microsoft will come out with a 120gb or something

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer at all, but I am still way past 4gb of memory. I really suggest you spring for the 250. You'll be surprised with how much memory you use up over time. You're better off not worrying about it than playing the shuffle game, which I constantly play with my phone.

Stickfigure

Oct 31, 2007
4 GB only helps if you don't connect to the internet or ever install any games on your hard drive.

That said, I wish the 250 had the matte finish like the 4. That glossy shit is seriously the biggest fingerprint magnet in the world.

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
If you play more than 3 games, you're going to need 250gb. Honestly, even if you only played 3 games, you should still get the 250gb just so you can update them.

You would probably get more mileage using your work computer to play video games than a 4gb 360.