Is Yahtzee a noob?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
First off before people make a fuss let me explain my definition of noob. It doesn't mean a casual player, it just anyone that either is new to a game or isn't very good at it. Personally I'm a complete RTS noob, I've played it, I suck at it, oh whew is me, let's move on.

Anyways, after wondering about what game he should be reviewing come this Wednesday, I thought of Dark Souls which honestly I think is one of the best games I've played in a lonnnnggg time. I haven't been this enthralled and yet horrified (by how sheer difficult and nerve wrecking the game is) by a video games since I was 14 played Ghouls and Ghosts. But remembering how Yahtzee reacted towards Demon's Souls, it got me thinking. Right now I'm at Nito which is pretty far in Dark Souls, I ain't a gaming God, but I'm pretty sure Yahtzee couldn't even get that far (Capra Demon is far as he'd get I bet).

So after thinking about a lot of his reviews, how he can't stand MP, and how gameplay just doesn't seem to matter to him. Yahtzee from what I've understood is more into narrative and doing different things in games. Doesn't seem to have much interest in the competitive side. For instance the other example I brought up, he doesn't like MP. Now I know not everyone likes MP, and just because you don't doesn't make you a noob, but sucking at it is one reason a lot of people don't like MP.

So what's the point of asking what if Yahzee's a noob? Well the reviews he does for the games he has difficulty with matter. He trashed Demon's Souls for being hard, he never even attempts to objectively look into MP heavy games. In the end it really doesn't matter if he is a noob or not since he still makes really good observation into games now and then, but still. Is he?

=P

Dec 14, 2009
I don't think you're in a position to be judging anyone's gaming ability if you've never seen them play.

Newb = new player

Noob = ignorant player, somebody who blames others/the game for their lack of skill and/or uses game tactics that others frown upon, i.e., noobtubing.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
noob just mean new player. It doesn't mean anything else, with the exception that it is now being used as a sort of slur against whoever.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
I gotta ask: MP?

Also, I'm pretty certain he trashes just about every game and uses whatever he thinks would be the easiest thing to trash it on as it's main point, like Demon's Souls difficulty, or Generic Shooter 2012's lack of story or it being different from other games

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
He stated in his Mailbag Showdown that he is not the best player but would be above average just for the fact that he plays games as a living. He sees himself as an "everyman", so if he is having trouble playing it, that's trouble for others.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
He's been a reviewer on this site for 4 years now I don't think noob can be used if you've been playing games regularly for that long.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
dfcrackhead said:
I gotta ask: MP?

Also, I'm pretty certain he trashes just about every game and uses whatever he thinks would be the easiest thing to trash it on as it's main point, like Demon's Souls difficulty, or Generic Shooter 2012's lack of story or it being different from other games
Multiplayer

OT: Noob means new. It does mean that you just suck at a game.

Also, I think you mean "woe is me".

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Nomanslander said:
So what's the point of asking what if Yahzee's a noob? Well the reviews he does for the games he has difficulty with matter. He trashed Demon's Souls for being hard, he never even attempts to objectively look into MP heavy games.
There's nothing really objective about criticism. I don't know why people get it in their heads that there is. Analysis is objective and CAN be a part of criticism (and often is), but it's not essential. Since Zero Punctuation isn't an objective review series but rather just one guy's opinion on stuff, I'm not really getting your argument. It would be like criticizing a list of car specs for not telling you what it thinks of the vehicle on a personal level.

The rest of your question is just a veiled semantics debate about what "noob" means.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
He seems to prefer the oldschool games. He said Bioshock was tripe because it wasn't as cool as System Shock -___- lolwut. Systemshock set it up, but its story and gameplay was horrible in comparison. And he brings up Theif every third review. The only thing he's good for is a good laugh, and pointing out mistakes that game companies make. I don't take his word that seriously.

You want a funny brit who is also GOOD at games and reviews and covers everything from the big name to the indie? Just watch Totalbiscuit, that man is miles ahead of Yatzhee when it comes to presentation.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, here's the way I see it.

Yahtzee probably wouldn't have the time to get really far in Dark Souls.
And I don't think he trashed Demon's Souls for being hard, but for trying too hard to be difficult, and for personally not enjoying that kind of experience. Can we get rid of the idea that if we don't like the enjoyment of hard games it must just be because we suck at them?

Yahtzee doesn't like multiplayer because it's not mainly designed around situations or the main point of the game, and it seems difficult to judge that part of a game, that's even more of a subjective experience, since it even relies on other people, which of course, Yahtzee doesn't like. If a game is purely multiplayer, it's a simple subjective of whether or not you enjoy it, whereas a game with a campaign can be said to be based around that and judging will be based on how well they achieved what they were trying to do.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I get the impression that Yahtzee plays games from another time. He's probably not bad at games, but his strong suit isn't in genres such as modern FPS.

I know guys like that. They can break an RPG, but, if put a controller in their hand for a competitive FPS, they flounder pathetically.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Isn't it:

Newb = Someone who is new to a game and doesn't understand it quite yet.
Noob = An insult you hurl at a player who is acting like a total douche.

Daystar Clarion said:
I don't think you're in a position to be judging anyone's gaming ability if you've never seen them play.

Newb = new player

Noob = ignorant player, somebody who blames others/the game for their lack of skill and/or uses game tactics that others frown upon, i.e., noobtubing.
This guy has it.

Aug 20, 2011
No. A pussy sometimes, for his inability to deal with the slightest technical problem, but that's also what makes his reviews funny so I'll let it go.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
And how many times you have seen him playing something?
He knows more about games and gaming that most of us combined so I think we have no right of calling him a "noob".
Beside a Noob is a Newbie that means a beginner... So basically he could be a noob, in every game that he starts playing, but so is every single one of us.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm pretty sure if he couldn't get that far, it's more out of lack of interest.

Then again, I don't know his actual skill level. People tend to just pull out the "you suck at (game/genre) as a defense against criticism.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Who gives a shit?
I'm sure he doesn't have the time to play that far into games... he reviews something ONCE A WEEK.
When your changing games so regularly i'm sure its hard to get into one.

I don't get all these yahtzee threads, just seems people cant take it if he says something wrong about a game they like.

News flash: He takes the piss out of every game. Its supposed to be funny, grow up and laugh about it for fucks sake.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Then again, I don't know his actual skill level. People tend to just pull out the "you suck at (game/genre) as a defense against criticism.
Well said.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
noob = extremely annoying, flaming player that often acts as if he doesn't know how to play the game.

newb = new player.

Yes but he does it on purpose and it makes people laugh so it's ok.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Im sure Yahtzee is excellent at any game he picks up by virtue of his job(excluding 2D fights and RTS which he said he hates). The difficulty of the game for him will be equal to a player whose at a controller regularly.

My guess is this will be a New Vegas situation where everything he would say about Dark Souls is in the Demon Souls review.

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
Nomanslander said:
He trashed Demon's Souls for being hard, he never even attempts to objectively look into MP heavy games.
He trashes every game he plays (except for Portal, I guess).

Daystar Clarion said:
Newb = new player

This is what the two terms mean.

lord.jeff said:
He's been a reviewer on this site for 4 years now I don't think noob can be used if you've been playing games regularly for that long.
This is my opinion, as well.