Is your hometown known for anything?

TheBigB9

Sep 4, 2009
Read the subject! Is your hometown known for anything or did something kinda cool happen thats worth sharing? Like a historical event, somebody well known getting born there, etc.

Just a random thread, the most embarassing thing about your hometown thread got me curious.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Pretty sure this was done the other day but......

I live in Tennessee. It's known for 2 things; racism and intolerance.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
umm a couple prime ministers were born in brisbane.... thats about it, nothing really much worth sharing, its a real small town

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, location of Air Force Material Command, and US Air Force Reserve Command.

rob47

Nov 18, 2009
Well my hometown used to be the world centre for linoleum that plasticky stuff you put on kitchen floors. It's Staines, Middlesex in the UK.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
3 things:
An author, a fat chick on a boat and Colonel Potter from MASH (author being Sam Clemens, aka Mark Twain and his book Tom Sawyer, fat chick being Molly Brown that was on the Titanic).

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
We were once a dairy queen town, people were close and happy. Then the town sold out....so we are sell out capital!

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
John Denver wrote a song called "Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio". It's a song about how boring it is here in Toledo.

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
Lilac capital of the world...

...and I think the unibomber used to live here...

thats about it

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
The Worlds Largest Horseshoe Crab!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/12731

Actually pretty cool for such a small town.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Julianking93 said:
Pretty sure this was done the other day but......

I live in Tennessee. It's known for 2 things; racism and intolerance.
really I was in Tennessee a few weeks ago visiting family...
OT: I live in Sacramento it's sort of the capital of California...

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'm in Erie, Pennsylvania. During the War of 1812, the British seized Lake Erie. A fleet was built to meet the threat. Long story short, the American fleet completely thrashed the British and captured 2 ships, 2 brigs, 1 schooner and 1 sloop in the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813.

The point of all this is that the ships of the American fleet (5 schooners, 3 brigs, 1 sloop) were built here in Erie. Erie also served as a naval base during the war.

gostchiken

Aug 22, 2009
One of Chris Farley's last movies "Almost Heroes" was filmed in my hometown of Cottonwood CA.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
A couple of famous football players are from my hometown, including Bobby and Jackie Charlton (they won the world cup in 1966) and Jackie Milburn (Newcastle United legend). There are several others, bit none are as notable.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Obama stopped here on the campaign trail a couple years back and we gave him a box of peaches. Last year, he stopped by during our peach harvest to talk about something... apparently, he had folks out picking peaches for him at the time, too.