Islamic School approved for Bass Hill

crimsondynamics

Nov 6, 2008
DalekJaas said:
The Land and Environment Court (LEC) has given conditional approval for an Islamic school to be built in Sydney's south-west, despite the controversial plan having been rejected twice by Bankstown Council.

Read here: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=695873&rss=yes

I am not certain on whether other Islamic schools exist around the country however I am opposed to this idea. Do not get me wrong, I am not anti-Islam or anti-Muslim, I find the religion to be quite diverse and interesting. However, doesn't the contruction of an all Muslim school belittle the ideology that foriegn culutres should adapt into Australian culture if they are living here. I do not see why Muslims cannot attend Australian public and private schools and why this school has to be entirely Islamic. Certainly if a school was required in the area then this would have been an acceptable descision, however why does it have to be purely Islamic? And if your going to argue that Muslims are persecuted in public schools, then I must say I had had/have a good mate in high school who was muslim and he was very popular. Not a stereotyppical muslim albeit as he was constantly partying and drinking, but the point is still there.

Thanks in advance.
There are Australian schools, American schools, Japanese schools, Catholic schools, German schools and French schools where I live. So... what is the problem again?

Have a look around where you live. I am almost positive that there will be at least one foreign school in your vicinity or religious school that doesn't conform to the religious majority in Australia. Should they pack their things and go as well?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I think the OP's point is not that he fears what they are being taught, it's that he dislikes the isolationist attitude of such a complex. His intentions were much less prejudiced than most people in this thread seemed to have concluded.

I have many opinion on the matter, but telling them to the internet is like shouting into a well.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Well, I'm set against it, being the pro-West conformist that I am. I wouldn't say do away with all religious schools, after all, radical Christians and Jews aren't necessarily in conflict with the West. While I'm well aware of moderate Islam, I think that it would be better to proceed cautiously on this issue. Whenever you've got a growing population group, I feel that it is best to force some measure of conformity on them.

Of course, I don't know anything about the age of the students or the curriculum so I'm just going on principle here. I've got no problem with a moderate Islamic college or university, I just don't like the thought of children and teens being given the opportunity to stay out of the mainstream.

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
Being a muslim myself I do have some worries about it. Theres always going to be controversy surrounding the issue, especially the curriculum. I would hope that the religious tenants being taught do not over shadow any other "essential" teaching that would be present in a regular school curriculum.(with Islamic schools, the Quran is taught with the hope that students will be able to recite it by heart ie. Without the text infront of them)

As long as the staff are open minded, and convey that to the their pupils, there shouldn't be any cause for concern. Adopting the western culture should be a prerequisite. What the Islamic popluation needs is less controversy and ignorance among its followers.

I do have many more thoughts on the matter, although I'm really not sure if it fits in with the thread. Regardless, its a great thing that muslims have their own schools for our teachings and to carry the faith. I just don't want my religion to be slandered as it has been.

evil_gn0me

May 5, 2008
Meh why not
I don't agree with christian or Jewish or any other single faith school so i don't overly agree with the school
however if the Christians Jews and what other faiths can have them then why not Islam.
The Reason I don't like single faith schools could be old fashioned or wrong as I never went to one or know of anyone that went to one so is based almost entirely on my view of society and religion.
I just don't like the idea of children being sectioned of from other members of the community.
Yeah there's youth clubs and outside activities but most are run by schools and you're friends are generally those that you see everyday. I also don't like the fact that one religion is being favored at a school over others. I'm incredibly open minded and actually rather liked religious education at school it was interesting to see how others perceived the spiritual side of life regardless of my own non beliefs or beliefs I'm always open to others view points and enjoy discussing them and these are the kind of things that I feel may be missing from these schools.
Yes people are becoming more and more open of others religions and cultures every day however I feel as though we will never become fully integrated unless we integrate with different people all the time.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Umm....forgive if I'm wrong...but, don't most countries have some kind of policy with regards to faith based schools? Some of you are making it sound like it's going to be some kind of cult house with no other contact with the 'outside world'.

Yes, in regards to funding, ownership and such it's a private thing. However, I would assume that the faculty -are- still under some form of control by a general board of education. Whether this be through reviews or the method by which teachers are provided.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
Jark212 said:
Christen schools, Chatholic schools, Jewish schools, Islamic schools, none are approved by me. Besides isnt Religion and State sopposed to be seperate??
I concur, albeit without the poor spelling. I have seen the student timetables in Catholic Schools and they have to study religion every day.
First off, this has nothing to do with the separation between church and state, since the 'state' isn't funding the school. It would be privately funded, like Christian schools.

I do find it odd, however, that here in Canada, Christian schools aren't funded publicly, but Catholic schools are. Seems like a double standard. Either fund all faith based schools, or none, you know?

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
mokes310 said:
I have a problem with all religious schools. I feel that they stifle critical thinking and funnel impreshionable minds into a sort of "thinking with blinders on." In addition to that, I have a serious problem (in the US), with the so-called "private/religious" schools asking for state/federal funding because their enrollments are down and their budgets are out of whack. That's a clear violation of church and state!

That said, even with my strong opinions against them, I feel that they should be allowed. Who am I to say that you can't send your children to one of those schools, if that's what you think your children need?
This.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Don't get me wrong, I like immigrants and I welcome them with open hands if they want to come be a Canadian. But if you aren't willing to adapt to OUR ways, get the f**k out.
This isn't 'not adapting'. This people wanting religious freedom and safety that they probably didn't have in their country of origin. Our country, Canada, offers that freedom and therefore the freedom to have a school where their faith will be celebrated, rather then 'hushed'.

And don't you see the hypocrisy of saying 'Don't come here and push your culture and faith on me' but yet you virtually demand they adopt the 'Canadian' culture (Whatever THAT is)? Canada is celebrated by it's citizens as being a culturally diverse and accepting nation. What you're proposing isn't either of those things.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
EDIT: The article speaks SPECIFICALLY on a muslim school, not Jews and christains and whatever else you keep bring up, I am not a fan of any religious school so I am not biased against muslims.I was speaking about the ARTICLE, and was asking for intelligent discussion on whether having an all muslim school fits in with stereotypical Australian culture. Thus that brings up if any religious school fits in with culture however your not contemplating that your just making nonsensical points on how your not bias (not everyone). Horray if you have American and Japanese schools where ever you live, that doesnt matter for this thread. Sorry if you misinterpreted my meaning, it was my bad phrasing of the question.

HERE IS IT WORDED BETTER: Should self-determination for allowed for ethnic groups in forms of education in countries with well-established cultures and ideologies?

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
BEcause Australia was settled by the British and people who are not aboriginal live here. Namely 97% of the population.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
As far as I know, the community in Bass Hill isn't infuriated over the fact that it's an Islamic school, but its relative proximity with the local school, which they say could be the cause of violence between the two schools' students.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
PersianLlama said:
mokes310 said:
I have a problem with all religious schools. I feel that they stifle critical thinking and funnel impreshionable minds into a sort of "thinking with blinders on." In addition to that, I have a serious problem (in the US), with the so-called "private/religious" schools asking for state/federal funding because their enrollments are down and their budgets are out of whack. That's a clear violation of church and state!

That said, even with my strong opinions against them, I feel that they should be allowed. Who am I to say that you can't send your children to one of those schools, if that's what you think your children need?
This.
Seconded apart from that last bit. My mum told me of a story about a Muslim school in London where we used to live. This mother wanted to send her kid there because she cared more about her kid being a good Muslim than getting a good education.

There is always a problem with mixing religion with education, they should let kids decide this stuff for themselves and not have it pushed on them.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Baby Tea said:
Canada is celebrated by it's citizens as being a culturally diverse and accepting nation. What you're proposing isn't either of those things.
Being accepting only goes so far, or you might as well hand over the government to anyone who asks. I'm willing to live with the notion that one neighbor may be a practicing Jew, and the other side neighbor a devout Muslim. That does not mean either neighbor deserves special changes in Canada's laws for their beliefs, nor that they deserve special schools because they are of a different faith. Nor does it mean that I should have to learn Hebrew or Sindhi because they're now in Canada.
Seconded.

Coming from the most singlecultural country in Europe (for now) I really dont want to see the problems isonationalism of the new culture causes like in Denmark [http://www.meforum.org/article/pipes/450].
Only 5 per cent of young Muslim immigrants would readily marry a Dane.. Welcome back to apartheid.

orifice

Nov 18, 2008
Religeous school = Brainwashing institute
Education should always be secular to protect young minds from bullshit like creationism and other religeous inaccuracies.