Israeli Inventor Creates Working Bicycle Made Entirely of Cardboard

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
TeletubbiesGolfGun said:
ResonanceSD said:
EDIT: Read the article properly -_-

I'd like to know what the spray that they used is though XD, WD-40 variant?
seriously, that shit must be made of superman skin to be strong enough to hold a person and sufficiently bike you around for periods of time.

granted, in my area there are decent amounts of hills and stuff, so i don't think this bike would be good for it..but for mostly flat places it'd probably hold up.

really want to see a video of him biking around, still, it's damn impressive..fucking cardboard.
Because of the information given regarding the tires it's fairly clear that its only application could be paved urban areas. One must keep in mind though he created it so that the poor (his country having a great many) would be able to afford to travel in a way that wasn't just walking so that they could reach work and the like more easily, so it's more than sufficient.

Also, any details on the type of cardboard? Is it corrugated? I can see it supporting a great deal of stress then but I don't know how that could allow for the intricate folds that the design apparently incorporates.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Baron_BJ said:
TeletubbiesGolfGun said:
ResonanceSD said:
EDIT: Read the article properly -_-

I'd like to know what the spray that they used is though XD, WD-40 variant?
seriously, that shit must be made of superman skin to be strong enough to hold a person and sufficiently bike you around for periods of time.

granted, in my area there are decent amounts of hills and stuff, so i don't think this bike would be good for it..but for mostly flat places it'd probably hold up.

really want to see a video of him biking around, still, it's damn impressive..fucking cardboard.
Because of the information given regarding the tires it's fairly clear that its only application could be paved urban areas. One must keep in mind though he created it so that the poor (his country having a great many) would be able to afford to travel in a way that wasn't just walking so that they could reach work and the like more easily, so it's more than sufficient.

Also, any details on the type of cardboard? Is it corrugated? I can see it supporting a great deal of stress then but I don't know how that could allow for the intricate folds that the design apparently incorporates.
yeah, hopefully it really does hold up it's "efficiency" part and doesn't require a new one to be purchased every 6 months or so, getting it "repaired" is not cost worthy obviously.

god i hope apple doesn't see this design and try to strap an apple logo to it...all the hipsters will come orgasming over the hills to spend hundreds of dollars on this bike with apple on it.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I think what he did was basically made a wooden bike. I don't see how it's green since you need trees for cardboard.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Marowit said:
I what happens if it gets wet...
Lol'd.
I assume you wonder what happens if it gets wet, well my friend, as stipulated in the article the inventor had it soak in water for months with no ill effects.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
I think what he did was basically made a wooden bike. I don't see how it's green since you need trees for cardboard.
This is a common and understandable misconception, for stuff like paper and cardboard the trees are grown in large scale tree farms which are extremely energy efficient and use trees that grow rapidly in size in short periods, in the end causing no harm to the environment and helping with oxygen creation. Rainforest clearances and the like are almost always for large scale cattle ranches and the like where great, wide open spaces are needed.

You might now be thinking of recycling, however a great deal of recycling does more harm than good (it uses more energy and causes more pollutants than simply growing more of the farm trees). The reasons recycling is still a thing are very very long and complicated so I'll simply say that often it's more "green" to use new things than recycle (except for certain things like aluminum cans which you totally should recycle because 100% of the can is recycled and reusable, not to mention that unlike trees, metals are a finite resource, so this is infinitely more "green" than any regular bike).

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Pretty cool.
Airplanes and cars also in his plans?
At least he'll have work 'till he dies.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Thats great, lets just see if it works in a place with a high humidity...
I fear my cardboard bicycle would be doomed here in the high humidity of Florida.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
William Gibson predicted this in 'Virtual Light' (excellent first book in a sweet trilogy if anyone cares) back in the early 90's, glad to see it finally happened.

If this was on Kickstarter i'd back it.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
This would be amazing... If it did cause a massive spike in bike usage though, the government around where I live at least would have to get around to making those biking lanes they always talk about... And I mean biking lanes, not just painting a line in the car road and going "there... Bikes go in this one, cars in that one". Man has that idea caused troubles... They could have widened the roads a bit first at least! The Dutch made it work, we should be able to...

*ahem* Cool bike. I hope it's really as awesome as it seems, and I hope this will mean even cheaper transport for the masses (so cheap that it can indeed be distributed for free to those in need). It's clearly quite resistant though, as the article says it could stay in the water for ages without even being damaged. The question then is, is it actually bio-degradable on its own? If not that means places using them will need sites for dumping and recycling of the bikes, as just throwing them in a ditch wont make it go away. Might complicate things for the parts of the world that truly need these things.

That is, if it's not so sturdy that you dont even NEED to throw it away. If it could last a person many years, thats just pretty damn impressive.

NiPah said:
Thats great, lets just see if it works in a place with a high humidity...
I fear my cardboard bicycle would be doomed here in the high humidity of Florida.
How about the salty, chilly coast or Northern Norway? Does it stand up to spending half it's life burried in snow if you (like me) don't have room for the bike inside? There are many ifs and buts... Heh, butts...

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Israeli Inventor Creates Working Bicycle Made Entirely of Cardboard
As a journalist, shouldn't you know the definition of the word "entirely"? I can see several parts of that bike which are not cardboard. That's not to take away from this accomplishment which is pretty impressive. But why stretch the truth?
You're entirely right. I don't use that word properly.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Just good to see someone taking a simple idea that will create many opportunities for so many people in the world!

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
Hmm I dunno.
This investment sounds like it might fold.
The design is too boxy.
It may seem cool now but people will get board.

In other news my wallet is miraculously missing nine dollars.