IT 2017 reviews are coming out...

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
When the Losers' travel into the sewer with the intent of destroying It, they momentarily find themselves hopelessly trapped. As the boys start to panic, Beverly comes up with the idea of having sex with the others in order to calm them down, as a result the other Losers take turns having sex with her. Because King didn't wish this to be viewed as a lewd scene, the narrative explicitly states that the act of intimacy with each of the boys' helps to further strengthen their friendship; and Beverly only experiences orgasm while having intercourse with Bill Denbrough and Ben Hanscom.
Again, I don't have the context of the actual novel, but I'm assuming that's written by somebody who did, and if that's the best way they could portray it, I'm not convinced it was a necessary scene.
actually, it's not at all what is written in the book. IT is my absolute fetish book, i dont why, but i readed it... so many times that i lost count. i was maybe 8 or 9 when i first read it. i dont really why i liked that book that much. i guess that i could relate to bev because i'm a redhead, and that it was probably the first book that i've read with a main caracter that pretty much looked like me and that was my age.

i've seen maybe 10 minutes of the mini-series, but i couldnt watch it because the caracters were so far away from what i had in mind of what they should like that i couldnt bare watching it.

i know i'm going to see this one, because it seems to me that it's a better adaptation, and since i've try to watch the mini-serie i've learned to like book adaptation in movies without comparing them to the books.

ok, so on the pre-teen sex. the whole story is about magic circle. each of the loosers have the strenght to resist pennywise individually, but together they can fight it. and they know, they feel when the circle is complete, they feel that the magic is working around them without really knowing how it work. they know their friendship is olding the circle togheter and that their friendship is fuel by their experience against pennywise, and the revenche Bill is seeking for his brother. they feel that they need to accumulate magic, and they goes through a lots of passage rites. the whole book is about rites of passage, how we leave infancy to become adult. However, after defeating IT, the magic that was culminating around them, and the cohesion of their circle was suddently gone. they were panicked not because of IT, but because the suddent disparition of the magic. Bev decided that be having sex with all of them was a way to reforme the magic that was holding their group, because sex is a rite of passage. after that, they gained just enough magic to get out of the sewer system. to be honest, that part of the book is like, what, fewer than 2 pages in a 1000+ pages book ? and it's not that graphic.

Also pennywise is never suppose to look normal. first everyone see it differently, depending on their own fear. thed clown is IT main disguise, and it stays a least a bit in every other form he take (usually orange pompom and some silver somewhere), but every single person that claim to have seen IT, even adults says that they were afraid of the clown and that they felt uncomfortable with him. so the new appearance of pennywise in the movie seems actually more in the tone of the book than tim curry's pennywise.

finally, i'm not so sure that they could do the adult time line in a second movie. the main story is the children timeline. if you remove the 50's stuff from the book, there's not much left. not enough material for a movie i think. but have the two timeline in a single movie was probably too much, so i think it was actually a good decision to remove completely the adult timeline. but agai i've not seen the movie yet, so i dont know how much they left out that they could used later...

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I saw It in theaters today. It was OK.

I have seen the miniseries. It was forgettable. All I remember was being really disappointed with the ending.

This It was pretty slick. Not scary at all. It had some humor. I thought the performance of Pennywise was really good. Other than that, I probably wouldn't feel that bad if I had skipped it. I would have, but there was nothing really good playing in theaters right now. It had to do.

I didn't intentionally tried to put the word "It" that many times. I just went with...it.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Saw it a few hours ago. I liked it. Different to other new horror movies. Also a Stephen King adaption that isnt ridiculous and stupid. One thing, minor spoilers ish. Who in the fuck has a picture like that in their office? That's fucking haunting. As a child I was afraid of large portrait painting cause I felt the eyes were following. SCREW THAT!!! Pennywise would have fucked my head with that.

Speaking of Pennywise, love him. Cant wait for part 2. Those damn Skarsgard's and their talent.

Once again another cinema experience with a horror movie ruined a bit by talking teens and phones that can't stay hidden for two FUCKING HOURS!! Shoulda gone in the morning.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
ok i finally saw it yesterday. here's what i think.

it's a ok adaptation of the book, and it's a great movie by itself. I understand why they cut both the adult timeline and the interdimentional/mystic parts of the book. there's a lot of easter eggs for those who have read the book. The caracters are very well adapted from the book, and the most iconic part of the book are in it. maybe they should explain that it is bound in the form he his, and that's why if in werewolf form, silver can kill him, and that It doesnt actually have to eat children but he's obligated to do so because it's a by product of the various monster form he take. but i'm not so sure they take this in consideration in the movie

now i will put a spoiler here

however, there's a few difference that i dont think serve well the story. First in the book, George die from having it arm ripped off and they found him dead in the street. Nobody is asking, hey maybe georgie is not dead after all. that make the main motivation for Bill in the book to be revenge and guilt. revenge, because he want to know who's the killer and kill him, and guilt because he fell it's is fault that george die. In the movie george is gone, and nobody know where, and Bill seems to think it's possible to find him alive. i would have prefer to keep revenge as his main goal.

then, after Eddy broke his arm, they fight each other, and it seems to be imply that they didnt see each other for about a month. then out of nowhere, just when Bev is about to leave Derry, It decide to attack Beverly, and use Henry to chase the others kids. But it's already established that if they are not all togheter, they cannot hurt It, so when attack beverly ? why not just wait her to go away, and kill the others one by one. it's the attack on berverly that pring them back togheter. in the book, It choose to attack the kids and push them in the sewers by henry because he's afraid of them, and want to kill them before they get prepared.

This also make beverly a typical damsel in distress, that the guys must save. that is totally outside the story and caracters.

and then they save beverly, but screw the other kids. it's never explain why berverly is alive, and if the other kids are alive or not.

i give it a solid 8/10

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
**Spoilers Abound Children!**
Okay so a little late to the party, but I finally got around to seeing this tonight. Yeah yeah, its been a few weeks, but between the protests here in St. Louis, and that spider thing last weekend, its been busy.

So me and the guys finally brought in some cheep booze and went to see this. And oh me oh my! This move is something special!
Its not good in the traditional sense, i.e. with a coherent story, good execution, threatening antagonist, good actors, etc...no, this is Plan 9 from Outspace good. This is My Science Project good. This is Robot Jox good.
This is a corny, terribly acted 80s B-movie "horror" magnificent train wreck!

Let's get the obvious out of the way. Pennywise. He's so fucking over the top and deliberately not silly its impossible not to laugh at everything he says. His first dialogue with Jordi I was bursting out laughing. He sounds like an SS officer promising a Jewish kid there's free candy inside this gun barrel. There was no effort to seem even remotely not demonic evil clown. I'm surprised they even bothered to have him speak - just bite the kids arm and call it good.
Through the movie he's a scene stealer, true. But its sooo goofy, sooo poorly done, and that smile makes him look like a beaver in white-face! And his voice was always so deep and resonate it sounded like Darth Vader trying to do stand-up.

The kids were...okay. For kids. Meaning they're not great actors, but its not really fair to hold it against them. Their dialogue is terrible - obviously written by 40 something who have no idea how teens act or talk. Sentences and conclusions that no 13 year old would draw, from situations no teen would be in. The new kid spends his time during summer researching clown related mass killing in Derry...for no reason. A librarian hands him a book on I guess old pictures of Pennywise and boom! There we go, horrible exposition for no reason. Gotta shoe-horn in that backstory somewhere, might as well have the CSI kid already be a historian specializing in centuries long mass missing persons cases.
Beverly Crusher is okay if binary - she has two facial expressions, scared(which she does pull off very well) and died 7 days ago and no-one told her.
The kid who told jokes...oh man, and I thought Seth Green was bad! He's impossible! Telling puns and jokes that in no way seem realistic. He sounds less like a kid fighting a demon clown, and more like an actor deliberately trying to make an out-take for the DVD release.
The black kid is there. Kinda' weird that the only black kid is the one who brings a gun to the final showdown, but whatever. Maybe its in the book and I don't remember the bolt-stunner.
The other kids are decent, if completely token. The Jewish kid is afraid of a Modigliani painting? Why?
Also I love how they all promise to stay together for safety, then run off on their own for no reason other than the story really needed them to run off for no reason.
Like the ending in the sewers I couldn't follow at all. Kids were just appearing in different locations, but the locations were real, but the kids were magically teleported there, but also stumbled there blindly, and well....Gabby Hayes is heavily involved.
The bullies are standard Stephen King bullies - no redeemable traits, just 100% assholes for no reason.

The adults are baffling. There doesn't seem to be a single sane one in the entire mix. I get that the losers are just that, losers. Their family lives are fucked up. Sure, good, great. Even the bullies, as technically characters, have fucked up families...ish. But everyone else acts in this bizarre Pennywise is real and we're in on it, and a we don't know anything. I mean at one point a red balloon appears in a car. What's that mean? Pennywise controls the adults? All the kids are Pennywise's children? The adults help Pennywise?
Granted its a Stephen King novel, and he's never met a single person in his life, but still...I would have hoped one of the writers had. It would have been less awkward if all the adults just said 'Its a spooky clown movie, roll with it!'

Loads of plot holes. Enough plot holes for a giant space spider to fit in! How are the new kids's parents okay with him getting carved apart so often? The hypochondriac mother doesn't believe the kids they were attacked, nor care another kid is literally holding his guts in in front of her? Also props on the fat kid for his endurance. I haven't seen that level of wound ignoring since Starship Troopers when Carmen hugged her friends with a shoulder with an 8' hole in it.
Does no-one care the chick killed her dad?
Doesn't the bully survive? I could have sworn he lives...
What, the parents still think the kids are lying about Pennywise when they show up with deep gouges and other impossible wounds?
Do they bury the kids from the sewers? They clearly show all the bodies floating down - do none of the losers inform the police? They can literally bring the bodies of a dozen kids to prove their case and...nothing?

Like I said this is an amazing movie. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong! Its the perfect mixture of comedy and 80s cheese!

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Was it a good movie? Yes.
Was it scary at all? Not really. It felt like the movie tried to be more unnverving the actually frightening. It actually reminded me more of 80's movies where kids are main characters (see Goonies).

Silentpony said:
The bullies are standard Stephen King bullies - no redeemable traits, just 100% assholes for no reason.
For no reason? The main bully has a father he seems to be terrified of. If that doesn't twist a person's moral compass, what will?

The adults are baffling. There doesn't seem to be a single sane one in the entire mix. I get that the losers are just that, losers. Their family lives are fucked up. Sure, good, great. Even the bullies, as technically characters, have fucked up families...ish. But everyone else acts in this bizarre Pennywise is real and we're in on it, and a we don't know anything. I mean at one point a red balloon appears in a car. What's that mean? Pennywise controls the adults? All the kids are Pennywise's children? The adults help Pennywise?
Pennywise is in control of Derry and the adults living there. If It wants them to forget something they saw, it happens. That is why people haven't left Derry because of its dark past. Pennywise doesn't allow it, atleast not in huge numbers. It wants an endless source of food, so It makes the adults rather passive, ready to look the other way when something awful happens.

As for the balloon in the car. Maybe It is using its influence that the driver doesn't intervene in what the bullies are doing. And that is represented by a red balloon? Remember, It loves fear, so making Ben even more scared by seeing adults who don't care what happens to him, makes sense

Doesn't the bully survive? I could have sworn he lives...
Maybe they're making the bully a sewer lurker in the sequel who cares for It's needs while It's still healing from It's wounds? *shrugs*

What, the parents still think the kids are lying about Pennywise when they show up with deep gouges and other impossible wounds?
Maybe they don't see the wounds, or see them as something else? Remember Beverly's blood scene? Remember how her father reacted?

Do they bury the kids from the sewers? They clearly show all the bodies floating down - do none of the losers inform the police? They can literally bring the bodies of a dozen kids to prove their case and...nothing?
Good question. I have no idea, I'm not even sure if they're all dead.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It's a bit late, but I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was pretty bad.

The dialogue ranged from boring to uncomfortably awkward. The appearances of the kids was distracting (Bill and Beverly look like they're 4 years older than the rest of them), and there's just too many of them for the movie - I found it impossible to really care about any of them. The heavy reliance on standard horror movie tropes (Particularly the 'Separated Because No One's Paying Fucking Attention') made my eyes spin. The tone shifts were often jolting - Like when they jump from telling each other horror stories to throwing rocks with a rock soundtrack.

How Pennywise 'works' appears to have been changed - In the book, they fight off Pennywise because he has to obey the rules of the forms he takes, so if he pulls a Werewolf out of a kids head, he must be hurt by silver, and so on. In the movie they just have to realize 'its not real,' and then engaging in a biker brawl with a clown (Seriously, the hell?). A major misstep in my opinion.

And while they removed the train scene, there were several points in the movie that felt like they were trying to remind me of it. I'm willing to take that as a personal problem, though - Anyone unaware of what happens in the book would likely not be bothered.

About the only thing I liked about the movie was Pennywise. They did an excellent job of making him feel creepy and 'wrong.' The scene were he jumps out of the projection got me, and I really liked the way they did the dance scene, where he was doing a jig, but it was the world around him that was moving, not him.

I don't think I'd recommend this movie to anyone.

Jute88 said:
Good question. I have no idea, I'm not even sure if they're all dead.
They're almost certainly dead. They say in the movie the only reason Beverly's not dead is because she wasn't afraid. Pretty sure everyone else was terrified.