IT CAME FROM NETFLIX! The Fifth Element

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I'm amazed at the number of Escapists that know this movie. I thought I was the only one :O
Great review, great movie :)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I loved it (well, apart from that Ruby guy, but he was jokes during the battle) when I caught it on TV, but my sister totally didn't get it. I don't think she can appreciate corny sci-fi in quite the same way as I can... though she didn't mind Cone Heads.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008

THAT WAS A NICE REVIEW! I REALLY LIKED IT!

[sub]Pretend that was in his voice...[/sub]

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Hmm, Great review, great film.

However, your latest couple have been pretty positive. It seems like ages since you've torn into a film.
I saw something last night that I haven't in a while which might fit the bill.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
This is the first "It Came From Netflix" review of yours I read (well listened to, which is awesome btw.)

I love this movie. It's one of the few movies I still own, and I even bought it on Blu-ray. Very nice review. You pretty much summed up all the reasons I love this move. That and the crazy frenetic pace.

One of my favorite scenes is when the guy comes to rob Corbin. When Corbin takes his gun and the thief justs busts out in that crazy dance, I laugh every time.

Personally, I would put this in the camp of a good "comic book" genre movie. I separate those from basic sci fi because the style is very specific. it's probably like this because the production design fellows are French comic writers. Tank Girl is another movie like this. I know people generally didn't like Tank Girl but I really enjoyed it.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
meganmeave said:
This is the first "It Came From Netflix" review of yours I read (well listened to, which is awesome btw.)
Thank you! Sometimes I wonder if the audio's the way to go or if I should move to video. The Escapist has plenty of great video content already, though. On the other hand, YouTube isn't exactly a podcast venue.

meganmeave said:
I love this movie. It's one of the few movies I still own, and I even bought it on Blu-ray. Very nice review. You pretty much summed up all the reasons I love this move. That and the crazy frenetic pace.

One of my favorite scenes is when the guy comes to rob Corbin. When Corbin takes his gun and the thief justs busts out in that crazy dance, I laugh every time.

Personally, I would put this in the camp of a good "comic book" genre movie. I separate those from basic sci fi because the style is very specific. it's probably like this because the production design fellows are French comic writers. Tank Girl is another movie like this. I know people generally didn't like Tank Girl but I really enjoyed it.
I like Tank Girl, as well. It's another one of those unashamedly absurd projects that seem to define the phrase 'So Bad It's Good'. I mean how many other films can you watch that break into a Cole Porter musical number and have it actually make a weird sort of sense?

Also? Yes, "GIMMIE THE CAAASSSSHH!" is a fantastically funny moment in The Fifth Element that pretty much lets you know what you're in for.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
The Fifth Element is a great film, easily one of Luc Besson's best. Dare I say...better than Leon?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
meganmeave said:
Thank you! Sometimes I wonder if the audio's the way to go or if I should move to video. The Escapist has plenty of great video content already, though. On the other hand, YouTube isn't exactly a podcast venue.
Stick with the audio! Then I can listen to it in my car. Because I know your choice hinges on whether or not I approve. ;)

Though, if you do youtube I could watch it, but not while driving.

BlueInkAlchemist said:
I like Tank Girl, as well. It's another one of those unashamedly absurd projects that seem to define the phrase 'So Bad It's Good'. I mean how many other films can you watch that break into a Cole Porter musical number and have it actually make a weird sort of sense?
And it has Malcolm McDowell in it! Tank Girl has the same kind of crazy energy to it that The Fifth Element has. I like Fifth Element better, but Tank Girl is definitely very watchable as well.

The Cole Porter number is one of my favorite scenes.

"What the hell is that?"
"Sounds like Cole Porter to me, sir."

I just love how much fun Lori Petty seems to be having in that movie.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Jonny49 said:
The Fifth Element is a great film, easily one of Luc Besson's best. Dare I say...better than Leon?
That's a bold statement. Care to elaborate?
Don't get me wrong, both the Fifth Element and Leon are fantastic but the Fifth Element has that extra bit of finesse. It's just so exaggerated and full of life, it's like a vision that was created in the 50's brought to life in the 90's.

It's world is extravagant, it's story is great, it's characters interesting not to mention it has some awesome action and that scene with the diva kicks bucket-loads of ass.

It doesn't take itself seriously...at all, yet still manages to keep a narrative that the audience cares about. Then again...Leon is pretty fucking awesome too.

It's too hard to call.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
It has been altogether to long since I saw this film. Sounds like it is time! Thanks for the reminder and good review.