It Can Wait

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
It Can Wait

No text is worth the risk.

Everybody loves their smartphone. Everybody loves getting text messages. But some of us love them too much. If you find yourself speeding down the highway texting to friends or watching videos on your cell phone, you've transitioned from technophile to the digital equivalent of a drunk driver. It's unlikely anything your phone beeps at you is worth risking your life, or the lives of those on the road with you.

That's why we here at The Escapist are asking you to take the "It Can Wait" pledge. Here's the pledge: "No text message, email, website, or video is worth the risk of endangering my life or the lives of others on the road. I pledge to never text and drive and will take action to educate others about the dangers of texting while driving. No text is worth the risk. It can wait."

If you agree, click on over to www.ItCanWait.com [http://www.itcanwait.com/] and pledge today. Wanting to take your pledge to the NEXT LEVEL? Individuals interested in doing more can sign up to become a "Personal Advocate" for the cause after pledging at ItCanWait.com where they will join a band of loyal supporters who are actively making a difference online and offline in their communities by spreading the It Can Wait message. Since 78% of teen drivers say they're likely to not text and drive if friends tell them it's wrong or stupid, we think we can make a big impact.

This post is sponsored by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I'm for this.

Ireland has massive issues with deaths on roads all over the country, I can't see the harm in a drive[footnote]PUN![/footnote] like this

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
It really can.

Not only it saves lives, but it saves me from sitting through traffic for an hour.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
I'm for this.

Ireland has massive issues with deaths on roads all over the country, I can't see the harm in a drive[footnote]PUN![/footnote] like this
You should be in a 'cell' for this.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I don't really see how anyone could disagree with this? So yeah! I'm all for not texting and driving.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Diablo1099 said:
I'm for this.

You should be in a 'cell' for this.
Wah!? Where is my one Phone call?! D:

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It's sad that so many people lack good judgement and actually have to be told that.

It's obvious in life and death situations, but it can also be very annoying in other situations, such as watching a movie and ruining it for themselves and anyone who gets distracted by its blinding light.

I never understood that kind of people, and I probably never will.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Losing two friends in one horrific car accident due to a total fuckup on their part, 3 years later I can still feel the pain of loss like it was yesterday. I support this wholeheartedly. And I'm also anti-drunk/buzzed driving as well. Do your shit responsibly people and seriously stop being in a hurry so damn much. You might find your life is over before you're ready for it and that is no fucking joke.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...it's like the 'no sex till marriage pledge?',

Everyone breaks it, and will find ways to 'justify' some kind of loopholes (anal/oral/etc)?

Because, lets face it, those of us who already don't do this don't need to make any kind of 'pledge' not to be an idiot while driving.
-We're too busy watching out of morons who text, drive, and nearly t-bone us.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I can't even get my phone out of my pocket when driving, because I'm too paranoid to take a hand off the wheel for longer than three seconds. It means all I can do is turn on the radio and change the station. :p

So sure, I'll take the pledge. It's a bit sad that we have to say this out loud because people are doing it.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Tanis said:
So...it's like the 'no sex till marriage pledge?',

Everyone breaks it, and will find ways to 'justify' some kind of loopholes (anal/oral/etc)?

Because, lets face it, those of us who already don't do this don't need to make any kind of 'pledge' not to be an idiot while driving.
-We're too busy watching out of morons who text, drive, and nearly t-bone us.
There's no harm in encouraging more people not to be idiots while driving. I've seen otherwise smart people try to check their messages while driving and I literally have to take their phone and put it where they cannot reach. Even if one person doesn't learn, if their friends and family get the message they're way more likely to take affirmative action and prevent the people they like from making poor life decisions. I can't block a hook-up but I can prevent them from doing something that is totally illegal where I live.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
TopazFusion said:
But it's already illegal (at least in New Zealand).

So, while it's a nice thought, (the pledge), anyone who uses their phone/tablet/whatever while driving, is breaking the law anyway.
I was about to come in and say this. It's already not allowed here. I couldn't tell you how many people still do it, though, because they're being stupid and want a fine (or in the worst case scenario, to kill themselves or others), but granted there would be some. It's pretty heavily marketed against though.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
This reminds me whenever one of my friends are driving and they take their phone out to check a message I tend to snatch it away from them and always repeat the same thing:

"My life and your life is not worth a few words."

I mean really, will the person absolutely lose it if they don't look at a text immediately?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
There was another thread where people were arguing, "Are people dumber now than in the Victorian Age?" I say it's not even a contest. Seriously? We have to have Public Service Announcements about not messing with electronic devices while driving. We are completely brainless as a society.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Much better than the last big sponsored message. If more like this pop up and fewer bullshit "Dorm Room customization" ads pop up, I'll be content. That reminds me, I wonder if that one old friend of mine who went comatose because of a texting-related accident is awake...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It really pisses me off that people don't pay attention to the road when operating a multi-ton vehicle.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
The fact that people have to be told to not do something so distracting while driving a two ton steel bullet is astounding.
The very fact that these ad's exist speaks volumes about us as a society.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well, for once its alraedy illegal.
and really i have no time to text while driving, i have to watch out for road rage taxi drivers and other people who drive while texting, or actually working on thier damn laptop. seriously, i saw people driving with laptop on thier lap, and when they stop at red light they start typing.
If i get a message i ignore, if i get a call i stop on the side of the road.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Yep, this seems like a good cause. Texting and driving is one of the stupidest things you can realistically do, so getting people to not do it can only be a good thing.