It Can Wait

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I think its amazing that they got a PSA directed by Werner Herzog but who are they going to get a PSA about the dangers of working with Werner Herzog.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Don't worry. I gave up texting and driving when I found it was just too difficult to juggle a shotgun a bottle of Jack Daniels a hamburger my Kendal AND a phone all at the same time.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
This is a good thing, albeit a bit sad that it's even needed.

I find this line a tad disturbing though:
Since 78% of teen drivers say they're likely to not text and drive if friends tell them it's wrong or stupid
Saying that they apparently agree that it's wrong or stupid, yet they won't actually stop doing it unless there's social pressure to do so?

Maybe we should upgrade navigation systems to occasionally spout lines to not text and drive if people forget such things so easily?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Whilst it is already illegal here, I can still definitely support this. Still hear about too many accidents on roads caused by idiots driving whilst hugely distracted by their mobile phone.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Tanis said:
So...it's like the 'no sex till marriage pledge?',

Everyone breaks it, and will find ways to 'justify' some kind of loopholes (anal/oral/etc)?

Because, lets face it, those of us who already don't do this don't need to make any kind of 'pledge' not to be an idiot while driving.
-We're too busy watching out of morons who text, drive, and nearly t-bone us.
That's what I thought of when I saw this, pledges don't really do anything except raise a bit of awareness. But people will just revert to their old ways when it is convenient because they honestly don't care or understand.

Plus it's already illegal to use a phone whilst driving in the UK methinks. And if people only do stuff to avoid a fine and points on their license they are doing so for the wrong reasons.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I've no reason to pledge to do this, since I believe the whole "it can wait" thing is called common sense and courtesy. Shame it's getting increasingly rare.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
On one hand, it's a good message, on the other, Big Corporations are telling it to me and that makes me want to spite them.

....I may have a problem.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
I've no reason to pledge to do this, since I believe the whole "it can wait" thing is called common sense and courtesy. Shame it's getting increasingly rare.
I don't text, don't even have a phone that can do it so I also have no reason to. Calling someone seems a much better means of communication that makes texting outdated.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Talking on the cell phone is also illegal here, the problem is, people talk, text and all that and the cops don't pull them over, even when they see them. The police are the problem, as well as the law - make this a "rip your driving license in half" offense at the spot, pull over anyone who does it and let's see how many idiots still do this in a year or so.

Bus drivers are the worst where I live (with the cab drivers not far behind). They talk all the time, seen them text too and hell, they sometimes even take a newspaper, spread it across the wheel and read it as they drive. I wanna punch them in the face whenever I see them, but I'm just going to start taking pictures of them with my phone and reporting the shit out of them cause I'm sick of it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'll have to wait until I get to a stop sign or something, but I'll sign it then!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Seems so obvious. Where I'm from its plain illegal to use a phone while driving. You lose 3 points off your license and there's a 190? fine.
Driving can be dangerous. Doesn't it make to sense to pay attention?!?!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I don't text or drive, but if either change, I will never combine the two.

KissingSunlight said:
There was another thread where people were arguing, "Are people dumber now than in the Victorian Age?" I say it's not even a contest. Seriously? We have to have Public Service Announcements about not messing with electronic devices while driving. We are completely brainless as a society.
Didn't the Victorians drink irradiated water, though? As a health spa thing. People are about as dumb as usual, I'd say.

Hell, if the Victorians would've had mobile phones as well, I'm sure they'd have similar PSA's asking them to watch what they were doing, too. And it'd look just as much like a sure sign of society's imminent downfall as it does now.

Phrozenflame500 said:
Wait, AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint paid you money to tell us to not use their products?
But we might buy more of their products in the future if we're not dead, don't we? Must've been a hard sell at first, though.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Hagi said:
I find this line a tad disturbing though:
Since 78% of teen drivers say they're likely to not text and drive if friends tell them it's wrong or stupid
Saying that they apparently agree that it's wrong or stupid, yet they won't actually stop doing it unless there's social pressure to do so?
Some teenagers do a LOT of stupid shit because their friends are doing it. I've seen and heard everything up to "attempting to use explosives on old women" use that as an excuse. Doesn't justify it of course, but with teenagers all it takes for a multiple fatality is one idiot and a lot of spineless joiners.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
When I first saw this article I thought for sure it would be a for teh lulz kind of article. It is sad that we as a people are so unable to see the kind of suffering that we casually inflict on each other than we have to have this sort of campaign to remind us not to do stupid and dangerous things. I agree that we should not text and drive but I despise the fact that we even have to have this kind of conversation about it.