It gets good after x hours

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
X-com: Enemy Within/Unknown. The first few missions are quite weak until you earn enough to have a few options. Running 4 rookies with grenades and no abilities isn't a very interesting.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Some games have to have a slow start. Take, for instance, Resonance of Fate and Lost Oddessy for the XBox 360. Both came out around the same time, both JRPGs, both with stunning graphics and both underrated (at the time. Lost Oddessy got a lot more positive crit once it had been out a while.)

Lost Oddessy is a very classic style JRPS, turn based with commands to chose and weakness/element matching to boost yourself. Final Fantasy in all but name. Great voice acting and a great gtory.

Resonance of Fate on the other hand played more like an SRPG in battles, and featured far less running around doing normal JRPG stuff. It was all about the battle system... which is actually one of the most complicated, in depth systems I have ever played. The first few hours at least were all about learning the mechanics at the battle arena, figuring out some basic tactics then taking on some easy enemies. I remember being what must have been 7 hours in when I finally got it enough to take on the first boss in the first area... But I loved it! It worked! It really needed the slow start though... It waited until you were comfortable enough before dropping all the story on you; only teasing you with ambiguous flashbacks that make you want to find out more about the characters.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
When people say 'it gets good in x hours' what they are really saying is 'you are a vacant fuckwit with the attention span of a goldfish but if you put some slight effort into playing this game you might find something you like...but i know you wont even try'.

I couldn't care less if my friends wont play a game i like because they like what they like and i'll beat them at nearly any of them ;p

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
iseko said:
For me: KOTOR I.

Talk about a long ass intro on taris. It sucks... so bad. And to make matters worse, you cant lvl up your character there. Well to be clear: you can but you are kneecapping yourself if you do. Wait untill you are a jedi, then lvl up or you have waisted valuable skill points.
Yeah, there's a reason why there's a mod that lets you skip Taris for the PC version (and I always install it).

And I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this one but quite frankly I don't care.

Half-Life 2

Even ignoring the Ludonarrative dissonance of constantly getting the "smartestmanintheworldcanIhaveyourbabieseventhoughI'maguy" who's sole solution to anything in game is either bash it with a crowbar or shoot it with a gun, It's still a generic FPS in a sea of generic FPS games. "But the game picks up when you get the gravity gun!" I hear you proclaim. I'm nearly falling asleep out of boredom LOOONG before that point. To wit, the closest I got to a gravity gun was the Minecraft mod and HL2 will have more use for me in Garry's mod than the game itself.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I remember the first time I played Final Fantasy XIII I despised pretty much all the characters except Sazh and Lighting... and the only reason I liked Lighting was because she kept punching Snow in the face. One of the biggest defenses people had for the game back then was "it gets better 20 hours in" and my only response was "fuck that".

Characters in RPGs(and especially JRPGs)are very important to me and are part of the reason why I enjoy the genre as much as I do, because I want to get to know the characters better. If the characters aren't engaging to me, I'm not going to want to spend the 60+ hours it could take to finish the game.

It also didn't help that you had to read an in-game codex to even understand what the hell was going on in the game, that also contributed to my general disinterest of continuing on.