It is worth it to buy a PS3 now? Or should I go with PS4?

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
So I am being waiting to pick up a PS4 for a while now, Bloodborne is coming out and there's Persona 5 in there too... But I also want acess to all the PS3 backlog. And yes, I know about PSNow, but I believe that will be in a similar vein to Netflix and by that I mean, it won't have any quarantees that the games I want to play will be avaiable. If even get's to my country, Sony only recently started to accept our currency and won't have problems with rights to to sell\stream\whatever games in my country, which most likely will.
So my dillema boils down to, pick up a older console with quite a good backlog of games or a brand new ones, with the promise that maybe I will have acess to games I want to play and new games I am interrested in.
So as of right now which one is worth the better?

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
It depends on your bank balance...the ps3 has some good games and they are damn cheap second hand nowadays. The ps4 hasn't got many good games and it's likely at least another year before anything worthwhile comes out. At that point the games prices should have found a happier medium (because they are ridiculous at the moment).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If you know you can afford a PS4 in a year or two, get a PS3. The PS4 will likely drop in price around its second birthday. (The PS3 could too, but it has games right now.) The 7th gen is still getting some new AAA releases, so they have not been put out to pasture yet. I think Persona 5 is going to be on the PS3, too.

If Persona 5 doesn't come out on PS3 in your country, just buy it as soon as it comes out, if you want the physical disc. Knowing Altus, they won't print many. (I regret not doing the same for Pikmin 3 a year before getting my Wii U. I payed almost as much for a used copy as a new one and was lucky to even find it locally. Despite growing in popularity, I'd bet the Persona series is worse.)

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Don't worry about me getting games in my country, most of our PS4, PS3 and it's games are NTCS-U. So if gets an american release, it will get here eventually.
I think I will be getting a PS3 then, sounds better at the moment and if I find a better paying job in the future, maybe it will worth my while more.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Honestly, get a PS3. The PS4 has the hardware, but it just doesn't have the games yet. Most of the games that you can get on the PS4, you can also get on the PS3, and unless you are super hyped about current-gen graphics and (sometimes) 60FPS on those games, then you should probably just wait a few years until the current-gen consoles have a game catalogue that is worth a damn.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
yeah ps3. I mean another option, wait and see what p5 will look like. It may not be a big deal between the two systems. It may just be the difference between 1080 p and 720p. well all feel silly then.:p

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I would recommend PS3. The only game that ever appealed to me on PS4 was inFamous: Second Son, but that was before I saw that it was only a reskin of the three that are available on PS3. There are also plenty of other games readily available for PS3, and you don't have to pay some subscription just to play the multiplayer components of games you've already paid for.

If you do want a more powerful system with a good catalogue of games, I'd recommend upgrading your PC as it's very cheap to get one running things at high settings these days.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'd suggest a PS3. Short of upgraded graphics and maybe slightly better performance, you can get almost every game for PS4 on PS3. Plus about a hundred other games that you can't play on PS4. You have a lower price, free online, and a massive library.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Ps3 isn't region locked for games even if it doesn't come out where your at you can still get it at least in English if that's not an issue. Over all there is quite a few great games for the ps3 it is worth picking up. The system is fairly reliable as well I picked up a backwards compatible console about 5 years ago and it still runs fine.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
rbstewart7263 said:
yeah ps3. I mean another option, wait and see what p5 will look like. It may not be a big deal between the two systems. It may just be the difference between 1080 p and 720p. well all feel silly then.:p
I know it won't be a that big difference, I used P5 as a example...

Flammablezeus said:
I would recommend PS3. The only game that ever appealed to me on PS4 was inFamous: Second Son, but that was before I saw that it was only a reskin of the three that are available on PS3. There are also plenty of other games readily available for PS3, and you don't have to pay some subscription just to play the multiplayer components of games you've already paid for.

If you do want a more powerful system with a good catalogue of games, I'd recommend upgrading your PC as it's very cheap to get one running things at high settings these days.
Done that already. :)
A modest setting, but still should be able to run most games in 2015 and maybe 2016.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I got a PS3 a little over a year ago (like a month before the PS4 came out). Well worth it, very attractive backlog I've been going through since. The PS4 just doesn't have a whole lot of options, exclusively or otherwise.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
PS3 has Dragon's Dogma. PS4 does not. Seems like a very clear choice to me.

Aside from that, it's unfortunate how things have completely flip flopped since the days of the older generations. It used to be people would buy the consoles to play the plethora of new games coming out and the games themselves would sell the console. These days, consoles need more press than a presidential debate and people are willing to kill each other to get a new console when they only have a handful of games - most of which are still available on the previous generation.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Stg said:
PS3 has Dragon's Dogma. PS4 does not. Seems like a very clear choice to me.

Aside from that, it's unfortunate how things have completely flip flopped since the days of the older generations. It used to be people would buy the consoles to play the plethora of new games coming out and the games themselves would sell the console. These days, consoles need more press than a presidential debate and people are willing to kill each other to get a new console when they only have a handful of games - most of which are still available on the previous generation.
I already have Dragon's Dogma on the 360. I tried to like it, but I couldn't. Sorry, bro.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Diablo2000 said:
Don't worry about me getting games in my country, most of our PS4, PS3 and it's games are NTCS-U. So if gets an american release, it will get here eventually.
I think I will be getting a PS3 then, sounds better at the moment and if I find a better paying job in the future, maybe it will worth my while more.
I think it's worth it. As others have said, the PS 3 has a larger library of games to pick from, many of which will be very cheap. And the games are really fun. I've had very little issue with any of the games I got on the PS 3 as far as bugs or performance problems. It's lasted longer than my XBox did, and still chugging along fine, and it's overall just a really good system.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I recommend getting a PS3 at this stage. Its backlog of games are very cheap and readily available, while PS4's games are few and expensive.
If you can get the 60GB 1st edition model then you also have a large back catalogue of PS1/2 games to play too.

Oh Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 Remix came out recently. Get it get it get it! :)

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
PS3 has a much wider library, is backwards compatible with PS1 games, and has more on the PSN available for it. There's also probably going to remain more exclusives for the PS3 than the PS4 will ever get.

Captcha: it is enough

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Get a PS3.

The PS4 now have enough games to be a worthwhile investment. The PS3 has most of those, and a vast library of games on top. If you haven't played (m)any PS3 games, then there's still more or less no reason to buy a PS4 now (many games for it are and will be sequels to PS3 games).

As an aside, the PS3 also has vastly superior multimedia center functionality. It's absurd how much things have regressed on that front between the two consoles.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
If you don't mind being a bit behind (or you have the bank balance to get a PS4 in a year or two anyway) then I'd say get a PS3. It has a huge backlog now - I got one 3 or 4 years ago and I'm still discovering games that came out a while ago which I love. Plus, most games that have been out for at least a little while are pretty damn cheap now and the free online play is a nice bonus.

I really wanna get a PS4 at some point - but not really until the PS3 has no more games coming out for it (that time hasn't yet come) or there are some huge exclusives that I really want (which is also yet to happen).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Hopes and promises aren't really what should make you buy a system.
I suppose a lot of people bought a ps3 because legend of the guardian will come out on it eventually maybe probably any time now.
If the game library of the ps4 right now doesn't make you want to get a ps4, wait until it does.
As for the ps3, now you have a pretty complete overview on its library so you're not buying the cat in the bag.

Also ps4 to ps3 isn't a step downward in graphical fidelity comparable to ps3 to ps2 or ps2 to ps1 so you're not really that far "left behind".