IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I don't think the trope is doomed to triteness. The key thing is for the dream to effect a change. Just because things aren't real doesn't mean they don't matter. All ideas aren't real. Ideology isn't real. They still affect people. I've certainly had a few dreams that for one reason or another have really stuck with me.

For a game, I think the thing to do is to show how your actions in the dream have influenced the character upon awakening. Different choices change how the dream affects the character. If the dreamer is a dreary salaryman, perhaps being heroic in their dream is the catalyst they need to quit their job and make a go at their preferred career. Or, if you wanted to do a twist, being heroic makes them feel self-righteous, and they stay complacent at their dead-end life. Maybe it's being a renegade in the dream that moves them to overthrow the status quo.

Or becoming an ax murderer.

I feel like there's a lot of potential in using dreams to examine the psychology of a character, so the trope isn't irredeemable. It certainly is used very cheaply just about all the time, but it doesn't have to be.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I really hate this trope and can not remember a single instance where i think it contributed. Only less annoying and more annoying examples.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I dislike the "it was all a dream!" trope about as much as I dislike the "he/she has/had a twin brother/sister!"

As for games... Does Final Fantasy X count?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oh, Link's Awakening did the trope alright. Foreshadowed plenty. Even in the title! You got what you paid for.

A big fish or bird or something summoned Link into its dream to drive away the nightmare entity that was keeping it asleep.

Worked decent.

Apr 5, 2008
The weird thing for this trope to me is that I don't think it's actually so bad in games as it is in other media (eg. films, books). Well, at least not if there is something resembling continuity (eg. a sequel, a canon lore).

The reason I don't think it's so bad in a game as it is in cinema, isn't because of storytelling. It's shit storytelling frankly, no doubt about it and that doesn't matter what medium it's in. All a dream is almost always a silly twist, perhaps because they couldn't think of anything clever, anything better or...well anything else. The reason it works in a game is because it doesn't undermine the gameplay we enjoyed prior.

In story terms, it does put something of a dampener on an ending to what might've otherwise been most compelling. But the gameplay (assuming you enjoyed it) until that point didn't change, nor would it change on a new playthru in which you already know the ending. Whereas a film's story is undermined by the ending that negates everything that came before, a game can still be enjoyed for the gameplay. It's the reason why people will replay the Mass Effect games or other story-driven games; the journey itself is still fun.

With all that said, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present Exhibit err....M...Monkey Island 2. I actually kinda liked it 😀 By liked, I mean loved, and by kinda, I mean really. I think it's actually a fun ending in keeping with the game, despite making no sense in "continuity".

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SupahEwok said:
Oh, Link's Awakening did the trope alright. Foreshadowed plenty. Even in the title! You got what you paid for.

A big fish or bird or something summoned Link into its dream to drive away the nightmare entity that was keeping it asleep.

Worked decent.
Link's Awakening is an interesting example.
Yes, it was all a dream... but it wasn't Link's dream. I think that makes all the difference. It wasn't just a simple dream that will only ever exist as a meaningless series of half remembered images in Link's head. There was a tangible effect in the real world. Because Link entered the dream the Wind Fish woke up. Also if you don't die Marin is reincarnated as a seagull, so that throws a huge question on just how real the dream and it's inhabitants actually were.
squid5580 said:
That still pisses me off and I played it when it was new
That ending theme though.

It's actually one of my favorite 8-bit songs ever.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arqus_Zed said:
I dislike the "it was all a dream!" trope about as much as I dislike the "he/she has/had a twin brother/sister!"

As many issues as I have with FFX, that really isn't a relevant trope here.

Tidus may be a dream person from a dream city based on a real city that ceased to exist 1000 years prior....but Tidus was also Tangible being that could affect the world. And his Dad, also a dream, was Tangible enough to help defeat and then become Sin, which is currently causing the problems.

Sure, they may both be "Dream People" but in this context it means about as much as the original belief that both were from a long time in the past.

If the game had ended with him waking up in Zakarand at the end and none of what he experienced was real, then that would fit this trope.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Arqus_Zed said:

As many issues as I have with FFX, that really isn't a relevant trope here.

Tidus may be a dream person from a dream city based on a real city that ceased to exist 1000 years prior....but Tidus was also Tangible being that could affect the world. And his Dad, also a dream, was Tangible enough to help defeat and then become Sin, which is currently causing the problems.

Sure, they may both be "Dream People" but in this context it means about as much as the original belief that both were from a long time in the past.

If the game had ended with him waking up in Zakarand at the end and none of what he experienced was real, then that would fit this trope.
It... It was actually meant as a joke. You know, because you could also exclaim "it was all a dream!", but like, the context would be completely different (because the lore and rules of FF X are just so damn insane and silly).

You did provide a solid answer when taking the question seriously, though :)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arqus_Zed said:
It... It was actually meant as a joke. You know, because you could also exclaim "it was all a dream!", but like, the context would be completely different (because the lore and rules of FF X are just so damn insane and silly).

Sorry, I was kind of out of it when I posted that so didn't quite pick up on the subtext there though you're right that it's hard to explain the plot of FFX to someone whose never played it and not sound like a crazy person. Especially since I tried doing with this a friend recently and had to follow up with "I think I just made it more confusing trying to make sense of it"

Then there's this.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:
Arqus_Zed said:

Sorry, I was kind of out of it when I posted that so didn't quite pick up on the subtext there though you're right that it's hard to explain the plot of FFX to someone whose never played it and not sound like a crazy person. Especially since I tried doing with this a friend recently and had to follow up with "I think I just made it more confusing trying to make sense of it"

Then there's this.
I really like the Bioware one.