Italian Organization Promotes and Defends Games As Art

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Gaming in its current state hardly qualifies as being truly art (with the occasional exception), but I will never ever say that games can't be art. That's where Ebert is wrong, one day, games will be another means of pure expression.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Honestly, I think this video conveys the message 'Games are art'much better:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcv6dv_pixels-by-patrick-jean_creation?start=1

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Gaming is certainly, at least potentially, an art form. Gaming presents a completely different experience from that of books or movies, the experience of control, of being the person involved. They can convey horror in ways that horror movies can only convey startles. There really is an experience to it that goes beyond what this pretentious critics have to say, these Italian guys know where it's at.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Sir John The Net Knight said:
jmoore4ska said:
If you think something like "Tim and Eric Awful Show" or "Mars Attacks!" qualifies as art, then you probably need to rethink your standards.
Nobody specified that it has to be *good* art.
Hastily thrown together stupidity does not count as art. I would no more quantify such works as art than I would a page full of formless scribbles made by a toddler.
So, then, this doesn't count as art?

OT: Yes, gaming is an artform, but how much actually survives the test of time has yet to be seen. Sure, it might be art now, but individual works still can lose relevance in the next 30 years. I mean, da Vinci wasn't the only artist of his time; Rome used to be the center of the art world, then Paris, and now New York. How many artists lived in those places at any one time?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I salute their efforts, as everyone on this site I think, but man, could they have come up with a weirder way to say so? It's a monochromatic bloodstained jacket away from a PS3 ad.

Plus, you don't do a Duck Hunt reference and neglect to mention the dog. It's just bad form.

(I studied Marketing Communication and I'm told that Italian ad agencies are one of the worst in the developed world, so there's that.)

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
These Italian guys are awesome. Although I know this is silly, I am actually proud I ate Pizza today.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I agree with many of the above posters: games are a medium and can potentially be art. I don't think most of them are today. I also think most of them are going in the wrong direction: trying to imitate other media (mostly movies). But, to be fair it took a long time for written stories to get away from the conventions of oral storytelling, a while for film & TV to break away from just imitating theatre, and several years for comics to break away from the newspaper strip format. So I'm hopeful eventually video games will break out as a truly standalone medium.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
adderseal said:
The problem of 'art' is that it's so damn subjective that nobody will ever agree on whether something is art or not. It's impossible to define, so why bother?
A lot of things are subjective. Good and bad are subjective. However, "wrong" is pretty set in stone. Ebert, in this case, is "wrong". You cannot dismiss an entire medium and make such gross generalisations about them. It doesn't work like that. If I saw a movie like "American Pie" and thought, "Oh man movies are really shallow, I didn't connect with it at all; therefore movies cannot be art," then that'd be making some sort of horrible generalisation.

Honestly, if Ebert is blind to this, he's a completely arrogant, ignorant fool. Otherwise, he's a damn good troll.

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
jmoore4ska said:
If you think something like "Tim and Eric Awful Show" or "Mars Attacks!" qualifies as art, then you probably need to rethink your standards.
But who can say that any art is good, It's all in the eye of the viewer, Two people can look at a piece of art and have completley different opinions of it.

Theres no such thing as bad art, well at last to me there isn't :p

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Was I the only one expecting him to miss one duck and she Mona Lisa Chuckle?
Edit:

Pallindromemordnillap said:
I was half expecting the guy to miss one duck and the Mono Lisa to do that dog's mocking laugh
Dang It!

jmoore4ska

Predicament Pro Tem
Oct 15, 2009
headphonegirl said:
jmoore4ska said:
But who can say that any art is good, It's all in the eye of the viewer, Two people can look at a piece of art and have completley different opinions of it.

Theres no such thing as bad art, well at last to me there isn't :p
Well, yeah. Obviously there are people who like the Tim and Eric yada yada. While i personally don't think it's good, other people may think it's genius.

...I just think its stupid.

But others might not!

(But it is...maybe.)

jmoore4ska

Predicament Pro Tem
Oct 15, 2009
That is my opinion on the matter. I think that art needs to be held to a higher standard than that. You're welcome to think whatever you choose to, though.
No, you just have your own standard for "good art." That doesn't mean everyone has to agree to that standard; they have their own standards for "good art" that might not include what you like. Different opinions can still be perfectly valid opinions.