iThread

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Well I am sorry to the OP but you can't start a thread about something like Macs and expect those of us who dislike them to not point out the massive flaws they have, especially when you start it out saying mac has 'The best computers' or anything of the sort.

Mac gets few games, is overly simplistic, is devoid of any options to personally upgrade it meaning you have to buy a new one frequently, it costs more... overall its simply not a good system. The problem is its proprietary meaning that you can't get the option of better hardware cheaper from elsewhere. You can't get third party software either. And virus problems, well frankly most of the jerks who make Virus software don't want to make them for macs in the first place because they consider it 'beneith' them.

Look you can like Macs, but they have flaws and PC users are going to point them out, especially when you make a post like that to start with. Welcome to the internet, where your views on reality will be constantly called into question the moment you put them on a forum.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
By the way, those of you who are thinking of me as a Mac fanboy, I own a PC. its my Gaming Rig and it runs great, i love it. But when i walk into the school Computer Lab and see a bunch of PCs it annoys me. Especially since all we do in that lab is editing. video, audio, photo any kind of media editing.

Now to get back on track some more.

The people who are telling me that this is a game website and that mac discussion doesn't belong here need to go look some stuff up. Macs run games. Go into an Apple Store, there are mac games, EA has returned to Mac and I think so has Activision (since there are Guitar Hero and Call of Duty for Mac now). Now here's the question, as i said above i play games on my PC, so i dont know how macs perform on a video game. How are they?
While there may be a small selection of Mac games, they are just that, small.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
curlycrouton said:
xxcloud417xx said:
By the way, those of you who are thinking of me as a Mac fanboy, I own a PC. its my Gaming Rig and it runs great, i love it. But when i walk into the school Computer Lab and see a bunch of PCs it annoys me. Especially since all we do in that lab is editing. video, audio, photo any kind of media editing.

The people who are telling me that this is a game website and that mac discussion doesn't belong here need to go look some stuff up. Macs run games. Go into an Apple Store, there are mac games, EA has returned to Mac and I think so has Activision (since there are Guitar Hero and Call of Duty for Mac now). Now here's the question, as i said above i play games on my PC, so i dont know how macs perform on a video game. How are they?
On top of this, they're also a lot more hardware weak than PCs. Even the higher end Macs integrate graphics, so they eat a lot of RAM and processor to run the simple stuff. Because of that, you can never really run games on any upper specs. Hell, you can't even run a GBA emulator to a consistent speed without slowing it down.

It'd be like trying to run a new game on a laptop without a video card. Notice how hardcore any game will spike the processor levels and RAM.

Or, if you have the higher-end Macs, you still pay more for less. The general cost-to-function ratio of PC to Mac is still pretty abysmal. I could get a very very high end gaming rig for PC for the same cost as a medium-level gaming rig for the Mac.

Plus, game choice is a lot more varied and functional on Windows.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
SecretTacoNinja said:
I want a new laptop (god forbid I'll be able to afford one... but I digress...) and all of our previous computers have been fucked by viruses in the past. I want a laptop that has these features:

Very good at:
Internet surfing
Playing and downloading music and videos
Playing downloaded games (like SNES/Gameboy emulators and I Wanna Be The Guy)

Won't get viruses
And has an easy interface
Won't crash very often

Can Macs do all these? Help a gal out here.
umm... idk about the games part. but as for the rest you may like the MacBook.

Music and video DLs you can use iTunes

Internet surfing you can use the Safari which is the default browser on the Mac (and its better than Internet Explorer, although being better than Internet Explorer is like beating a midget at basketball.) but you can also go and download Firefox.

As for Viruses, there are so little viruses for Macs that you needn't worry about them with a MacBook.

Macs crash. Iv'e seen it happen, but under a ton of stress, and it was in the period when Apple used the G series processors (manufactured by Motorola i believe, correct me if i'm wrong) which were powerful but very unstable processors. With Intel I've never seen a Mac crash...

As for the interface, you decide wether you like it or not. I love it, personally, but not everyone "gets it" as you may have read in this thread, the lack of a right-click on some mouses can be annoying at first i agree but holding the CTRL key is hardly a hard habit to get into... on top of that they have also released a new mouse that, even though it looks the same as the single-click one, supports the right-click also.

Hope this helped. and Personally if you want something to play games might i recommend a desktop PC...

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
ChristmasChild said:
Rely on apple for entertainment, but if you live in a house made of Apple, you lose sight of the world because there would be *drumroll* no Windows!
You, my good sir, require an instant rimshot [http://www.instantrimshot.com/]

On topic though, I go through games faster than mice go through swiss cheese, so I think I'd be done with my Mac very quickly, if I had one.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
NewClassic said:
curlycrouton said:
xxcloud417xx said:

On top of this, they're also a lot more hardware weak than PCs. Even the higher end Macs integrate graphics, so they eat a lot of RAM and processor to run the simple stuff. Because of that, you can never really run games on any upper specs. Hell, you can even run a GBA emulator to a consistent speed without slowing it down.

It'd be like trying to run a new game on a without a video card. Notice how hardcore any game will spike the processor levels and RAM.

Or, if you have the higher-end Macs, you still pay more for less. The general cost-to-function ratio of PC to Mac is still pretty abysmal. I could get a very very high end gaming rig for PC for the same cost as a medium-level gaming rig for the Mac.

I'm still perplexed, i mean i looked at some of the Mac specs and they look pretty impressive.

(Mac Pro) 8 cores, 4 terabyte Hard drive, 8 Ram slots, and 4 PCI-E 2.0 slots.

are there really PCs that can beat that? last time i looked at Alienware there wasnt anything that was close to that...

what brings the mac down so much when it plays games?

I mean ill probably always play my games on PC, but im just curious.

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
NewClassic said:
curlycrouton said:
xxcloud417xx said:

On top of this, they're also a lot more hardware weak than PCs. Even the higher end Macs integrate graphics, so they eat a lot of RAM and processor to run the simple stuff. Because of that, you can never really run games on any upper specs. Hell, you can even run a GBA emulator to a consistent speed without slowing it down.

It'd be like trying to run a new game on a without a video card. Notice how hardcore any game will spike the processor levels and RAM.

I'm still perplexed, i mean i looked at some of the Mac specs and they look pretty impressive.

are there really PCs that can beat that? last time i looked at Alienware there wasnt anything that was close to that...

Alienware is a ripoff, PCs can easily surpass them if they are custom built. One of my cousins put togeather a really impressive gaming rig for under 1K. Macs charge you way too much for everything and because they are not willing to support 3rd party its only going to get more expensive since you can't upgrade it piecemeal and look for good parts on sale.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
NewClassic said:
curlycrouton said:
xxcloud417xx said:

true, you can't beat that prebuilt from many PC vendors - but for a mac with those specs you'll be suffering from a small mortgage to repay it, whereas a custom built PC with similar specs (I suspect there are vendors that would prebuild it, but i've not seen them), would be massively cheaper.
I'm a PC fanboy, but only because I fail to see that macs add anything to computing in general except for iSmug

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
NewClassic said:
curlycrouton said:
xxcloud417xx said:

I think you misunderstand. I'm talking spec-to-cost ratios, not actual "possible specs."

If you want an example, according to MacWorld [http://www.macworld.com/article/131949/2008/02/macproeight28.html]:
$2,799

The specs I could find for that piece is as follows:
Mac Pro Xeon/Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core - Processor
2GB of RAM - System Memory
320GB drive - Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB - Video Card

Total Cost:
$2,799 (USD)

Well, like above, lemme try that with my usual suspect site for building PCs.

The best analog I could build, using basic parts for everything except the specifications of the above:
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E 16X 256MB Video Card
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price)LG 20X DVD-R/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Price: $889.00
(before all applicable rebates)

Total savings of nearly $2,000 dollars. If I were to try to build the best PC I could for an equal or lesser price, it would look like this:

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
Mainboard: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0, IEEE1394, & 7.1Audio
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR2/1066 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Dominator)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB 16X PCI Express
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB 16X PCI Express
VIDEO CARD 3: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB 16X PCI Express Yes, these three work in tandem
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (2TB (1TBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: Gaming Hard Drive (10, 000RPM SATA150) (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10, 000RPM 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS)
Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Reader / DVD-R/-RW Writer (Black Color)

Price:
$2795.00

That's not to say Macs can't do it, it's just that they can't do it at reasonable cost.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
xxcloud417xx said:
Did i mention that most people who deny that Apple makes great computers are either ignorant, stupid or both? I think we have a good example of one of those people now. Thanks TheGhostOfSin.

Get some information, and make a counter-argument that makes sense. This thread was made for just that Discussion on Macs. You can defend them or say that they suck. but we want reasons.
I don't disagree that people should provide a counter-argument if they're going to say something sucks, but I am sure there's a better way than calling him names to get your point across.

Who says you even need to respond to people who don't meet your basic criteria for discussion? Especially since the tone of Ghost of Sin's message seems more arbitrary than serious.

Lord Krunk said:
Jeez, the PC fanboys swarmed on this thread.

This isn't a Mac supremacist wank, as many of you seem to think. I figured that this was a discussion. So non-Mac users, please circle-jerk somewhere else. Thank you.
You are on a gaming site. Due to the almost non-existent game release schedule for Macintosh more gamers own PCs. If you're going to make comparisons between Mac and PC you should expect a large contingency of those users to defend their choice.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:

Let's see here... You're probably rarely going to use more than 2 cores, the amount of storage space isn't important (I could, for example, have 5x2TB hard drives if I wanted), you're never going to use more than 8 gigs of RAM and it only matters what you put into the PCI slots. Also, uless you count boot camp, there are very few Mac games.

EDIT:

Leopard is the world’s most advanced operating system. So advanced, it even lets you run Windows if there’s a PC application you need to use.
...Hahahaha! Oh man, that's some funny shit... and it's from the apple website!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Eggo said:
Can we talk about how bad the iPhone is or should I make another thread?
I would. This is mostly about Macs, not iProducts in general.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
xxcloud417xx said:
the_tramp said:
This isn't a statement, I mean it as an honest question to all Mac users...

Why did you buy a Mac as opposed to a PC?
Many reasons :

Performance. Macs are really performant computers and they always have been. Go to Apple.com and look up the Mac Pro, it's insane.

Esthetics. They also do look pretty nice and sleek.

Annoyance. Vista vs. Mac OS X. That's all i got to say.

Service. Apple has a great warranty and they replace almost without question. Not only that, they now will transfer all your files from your PC to a Mac when you make the purchase of one, free of charge.

Marketing. I will admit I'm a slave to marketing, so are alot of people. And Apple knows how to present their stuff.
Performance: A IMac that costs 1,499$ comes with a 2.6ghz dual core processor and 2g with RAM and a discrete nVidia or ATI GPU. My computer is 2.4ghz Quad core with a 9800gtx with 4g of RAM .
Esthetics: There are thousands of custom cases out there. Mine was designed like a jet intake with a 240mm fan in the front, and a second on the side with a clear side pannel. amazing and still is sleek and shinny. Mac's look all the same.
Annoyance: I hate not being able to run anything fun on my laptop as opposed to my PC desktop, I can get any software I wish, and yes I have Vista.
Service: It's impossible to make a general statement for PC's since there are more than just one company, like Apple.
Marketing: It's a bit ironic that you talk about how Apple can do this, but explain how PC's took over in the first place. Oh, and at least PC ads don't all have the idiotic baby music.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here but I can't stand how Apple sells their products in such a douchebag way.