"It's an Acquired Taste."

Apr 24, 2008
gsilver said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
but my experience is that "acclimatising" (if you like) to these tastes is worthwhile, and makes simple sweet flavours like chocolate ... seem pretty boring.
Someone needs to familiarize themselves with the world of high-end dark chocolate.

Maybe I'm biased because there's a high-end chocolatier in my town, but the world of fine chocolate is both wide and wonderful.
Oh, I'm familiar. We're talking about relatively bitter tastes though, right? I do appreciate it, but at the same time it seems to make my skin break out, so I don't get big into it.

"Chocolate" to most people is the everyday stuff that litters the stands at your local shop, and that's what I meant by it. You could replace it with any sugary shit. I remember thinking soda was lovely, but it tastes like death to me now.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Youtube has recently been bombarding my Suggested Playlist with Turkish disco for some unknown reason. At first I loathed it, but over the course of the last two months, it's grown on me.

Acquired tastes can be strange.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I don't drink wine because i want to be drunk, but because it tastes awesome specially if you drink the right one to the right meal. But i had to acuirqe that taste, because i didn't like it very much at the beginning. Now i can appreciate all the diffrent taste notes.
Not that there aren't occassions where i drink stuff to get drunk but that usally involves drinking games and a ohrrible, horrible sunday the day after.

Never happened with beer though. I still keep trying because i'd really like if i'd actually like drinking beer, but sofar no luck.
Coffee was the same. As a teenage i couldn't stand it, it was way to bitter for me and i don't do well with bitter in general. Now i like a nice cup of coffee even though i'd never drink it black because of the mentioned disdain for bitterness, well that and to much bitter gives me headaches.

For me it had never anything to do with peer pressure, but a good chunk of my family values eating and cooking very highly. Some are even part of a gastronomic association named Chaine de Rotisseurs and they always tried to educate the youngster of our family on etiquette, cooking, dining etc. They always seemed to enjoy diffrent alcohols to meals or afterwards - and i'm someone that tries to enjoy as many things possible, be it movies, music, foods or drinks, so i kept trying a glass of wine every once in a while and step by step i noticed which flavours i liked and which i disliked, how heavy i prefer them etc.
With my knowledge now i'd really be bummed out if i wouldn't like wine.

Kasithedog

Oct 31, 2016
What about stuff like noise music & other avant garde stuff?(inc some avant metal bands). To me it alway's love it or hate it with rare occasion of liking it to begin with. Yes I'm fan of noise music & stuff like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAkedjw8v-0

Loislane

Sep 14, 2016
I've heard this phrase a lot when backpacking in Australia. For some reason I really wanted to acquire the taste of vegemite but just couldn't get used to it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There is something called Familiarity Comfort, which makes us more and more comfortable with something every time we are exposed to it. So even if things taste horrible your brain will eventually associate it with comfort if you keep eating/drinking it.
And the same applies to nearly all activities, the impression that everything was better back in the day very often comes as a result of old ways making your comfortable, where as new stuff is scary and uncomfortable.

This is also a big part of marketing, doesn't matter if you know what a certain brand is or what they sell or anything else, so long as they keep you exposed to that brand name for long enough you will become comfortable with it, as opposed to unknown brands which will make you suspicious.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Lufia Erim said:
Lol what?

Coffee is an aquired taste. Every noticed why people put heaps of milk and sugar in their coffee? Because they haven't acquired the taste yet.

What the hell are you people talking about?

Same with Dark chocolat. Which is suppose to be good for you.

Hell I'd argue some fruits and vegetables are an acquired taste. Ever had asparagus ?

I really feel like you ( and half the people in this thread) have no idea what they are talking about.
I can bear with pure black coffee I just prefer it with sweets in it. I honestly cannot resist well made sweet coffee.
One thing I have noticed hanging in the west is that I am the minority of people like likes straight vodka. Maybe I am not hanging around enough Eastern Europeans but straight vodka really does just have a nice kick to get me going in a positive thinking direction. Though many can't take it. Actually in general I seem to be alone because I prefer to have most of my booze straight first and then try mixing it with stuff. I love discovering and making new cocktail recipes to have. Even if they do not go as well as expected like the Rose Kennedy I tried to make last night just tasting like plain vodka. I really need some booze threads up in here...

But yes coffee is hardly an acquired taste when countless people on the globe consume it and caffeine withdrawl being listed as a legit illness I believe though black coffee easily is. Again I do not like it myself I only tolerate true black coffee but many more hate it than like or tolerate it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Anyone who doesn't like dark chocolate can just go take a shower, right now.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
everytime I've heard "acquired taste" I've translated it to "this is a taste that I like, and you don't, and that is fine"
I've never thought "oh this must be a food that they found as vile as I did, but forced themselves to eat it just to enjoy it eventually" which is utterly insane

Dec 16, 2009
i drink coffee black, it took me some getting used too, but i think it had a lot to do with forgetting to buy milk. i realise this is no help what-so-ever.

ok, i just wanted to get drunk n didn't give a shit how it tasted, now i prefer to drink something i enjoy the taste of, having already acquired the taste... ok, not much help either.

ah whisky. i loved the smell, didnt enjoy the taste, that inspired me to get used to it with ice first to acquire the taste.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I think when people talk about aquired taste they usually mean one of two cases. One is they are addicted to something but dont want to use negative connocation for the addiction and another is a pretentiuos "my tastes are better than yours" way. I think your example in the OP is the first option here, but i saw much more of the latter personally.

Glongpre said:
I think acquired taste is more like coffee. When you first taste it, it is bitter and doesn't leave a good impression on your taste buds.

But as you continue to drink it, you begin to enjoy it and it's benefits.
So acquired taste is addiction?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Strazdas said:
Glongpre said:
I think acquired taste is more like coffee. When you first taste it, it is bitter and doesn't leave a good impression on your taste buds.

No, more like your taste buds change. When people say it is an acquired taste, it usually means it took a few tastes to get used to it before they developed taste buds which enjoyed it.
A quick google says taste buds change roughly every 2 weeks.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Glongpre said:
Strazdas said:
Glongpre said:

No, more like your taste buds change. When people say it is an acquired taste, it usually means it took a few tastes to get used to it before they developed taste buds which enjoyed it.
A quick google says taste buds change roughly every 2 weeks.
There is a saying in my country "suo ir kariamas priparanta". Roughly translated it means "Dog gets used even to hanging". Getting used to something does not make it a good thing, it makes it tolerable.

Edit: changed language specific letters to latin because escapist forum cant handle them.