It's my opinion man

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
lacktheknack said:
So, you turned "unneeded nit-picking" into "clearing up definitions"?
No, you said "uneeded nit-picking", I said "clearing up definitions"

lacktheknack said:
We're not on the same footing here.
Often referred to as a difference of opinion.

lacktheknack said:
Does the majority really have to go out of their way to accommodate the tiny minority?
When the minority is talking about something based on fact yes. It's why the theory of evolution is taught in schools and not intelligent design.

lacktheknack said:
...only because of your opinion on the importance of sem-

Aaaaand the conversation ground to a halt because of semantics.
No, my opinion on the importance of semantics is why I brought it up, it says nothing about it's validity.

lacktheknack said:
Again. I'm out.
Again? Again implies a first.

Now that's pointless nitpicking.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
wulf3n said:
Given that a belief is just a position on a matter that doesn't take into account evidence, then of course there'll be some overlap.
100% overlap, actually.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

Definition said:
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
Carry on.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
wulf3n said:
Given that a belief is just a position on a matter that doesn't take into account evidence, then of course there'll be some overlap.
100% overlap, actually.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

Definition said:
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
Carry on.
Yes all opinions are beliefs, but not all beliefs are opinions.

The key element of an opinion is the subjectivity of the matter, where as a belief can exist despite or in-spite of available evidence.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
To quote George Carlin.

"Oh yea, well i have a right to my opinion. And my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion."

[small][small][small] Then shoot the fuck and walk away. [/small][/small][/small]

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
So I heard this quote that I really like : "There are very few things in this world that arn't opinions, but there is a difference between normal opinions and informed opinions. Some opinions have a higher quality than others."

Then there was a picture explaining that :

Many supporting evidences make up an argument.
Many arguments make up an informed opinion.

O-o so yea. That's how I feel.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
madwarper said:
King Aragorn said:
Again, using the whole we should just bomb all Middle Eastern people example here. If I say it's because they live in sand and I don't like sand that's just..illogical and not very valid.
So... It's your opinion that said reasoning behind the previously stated opinion is "illogical and not very valid"?

In the unlikely case of someone actually having that opinion, with that reasoning, I doubt they would agree with your assessment of their reasoning. (Subjectivity) is in the eye of the beholder.
Yes but here you're being needlessly technical and that is provided we do use valid's actual meaning over it just standing for ''explain''. This may come across as arrogant and I don't mean for it to do so, as yes subjectivity is in the eye of the beholder practicality vs technicality.
But again, that's provided your going to use valid like that, and not valid meaning just the reasoning.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
SKBPinkie said:
People aren't always obligated to explain their opinions, especially if the topic is about some sort of an entertainment product.

Of course, more serious matters deserve extensive discussion, cause someone other than the person stating their opinion could be affected by the outcome. Things like politics, religion, ethics, etc. are things where people need to consider all sides of the matter before coming to a decision.

But when it comes to games, movies, TV, etc, I don't care if someone wants to go into more detail about their preferences, cause it's a matter of entertainment. I'm here on these forums to talk about my likes and dislikes. But if someone simply wants to state their opinion and doesn't want to enter a heated (let's face it - gaming forums get insane at times) discussion, then that's perfectly fine.

They have reached a point where they either see no point in continuing or just want to step away from the debate before things get nasty.
This, 100%

Not everyone who states their opinion wants to get into a huge discussion about it. Not all forum threads are designed to be debates. If the thread simply asks, say, "What's your favourite video game of all time?" it's perfectly reasonable to just state your preference (ideally with a couple of explanatory sentences, of course) and leave it at that. If someone then takes issue with your opinion and demands an explanation, you are not required to give it to them.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Eamar said:
This, 100%

Not everyone who states their opinion wants to get into a huge discussion about it. Not all forum threads are designed to be debates. If the thread simply asks, say, "What's your favourite video game of all time?" it's perfectly reasonable to just state your preference (ideally with a couple of explanatory sentences, of course) and leave it at that. If someone then takes issue with your opinion and demands an explanation, you are not required to give it to them.
I'm not sure what universe you live in, but can I move there? It seems like a very reasonable place, and there's no such thing as "too reasonable".

But yes, pretty much this. Everyone has opinions, sometimes they're at odds. And sometimes, I don't feel like coughing up a 20-page peer reviewed thesis just so that random people might consider my opinion "relevant". Acknowledge and dismiss it all you want, just don't act as if I should have kept my mouth shut because I didn't feel like dissecting my opinion and explaining it in detail.

Not every discussion needs to be an exercise in navel-gazing.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Charmille said:
Subjectivity can't be wrong. That's why it's subjective. Objectivity has a truth value to it though, and as such, can be wrong.
I disagree.

Subjectivity can be wrong provided the statement on what the subject is wind up being uninformed or not experiencing the entire thing.

Let's use the recent high ratings of Total War Rome 2's reviews as an example. Many of the reviewers subjectively liked the game. They thought it was presented well. Problem is, their subjective experience was very limited due to the nature of a few factors.

1.It was released in the busiest season of gaming. Many reviewers are playing multiple games as quickly as possible to cover as many big releases as they can. So they may not be able to dedicate as much time with a game as usual.

2.Total War is a strategy war game. If we are of the mind that reviews are there to inform the potential customer of the game's qualities, objective and subjective, then the reviewer should have spent dozens of hours forming their opinion due to the grand nature of the detail put into most strategy war games. This was not done for Total War Rome 2 due to time
constraints and the length of understanding Creative Assembly's titles.

3.Creative Assembly fully admitted to creating their games for high metacritic scores. This generally means that the first few hours of the game was what was worked on for launch the most. This was when the critical acclaim came in, the sales would follow due to most video game sales happening in the first week, therefore gaining Creative Assembly an instant profit on the product.

Here's the problem.

The more customers and non-website based review/first impressionists played the game, the more they found they game was, in an objective sense, not finished. The AI would send units of 12 up against the player's unit stack of hundreds plus. The AI would try to besiege a city with 10 men. Boats would travel on land. Enemy units would march in circles while in battle. Missions would not work. It would crash often. The graphical fidelity was not matching what was shown in gameplay trailers.

My point is, the people who reviewed the game clearly had the wrong subjective opinion of Total War 2's release state. Subjectivity can be wrong in cases where the subject was only minimally experienced.

Another example was when a bunch of reviewers put out their subjective belief that Beyond: Two Souls didn't give the player choices to make.

In a game with 27+ endings...

That'd be like watching Batman Begins' first 30 minutes and then writing a review that you hated the movie due to Batman not showing up.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I've never encountered this because when I see someone has an opinion that's different to mine (As in "I think this because...") I just don't care. They have theirs and I have mine and I'm not going to convince them otherwise. It would be like shouting at a brick wall for the good it would do.

The only times I have risen to it is when I seem some obvious troll bait such as "Women shouldn't vote cos they're stupid bitches" or "gays shouldn't marry" and it's obvious all they want is a rise out of you, so they don't reply.

If I did hear "it's just my opinion" going back to someone who disagrees with me regarding entertainment, I'd just leave it. If they can't arsed explaining their opinion, I can't be arsed wasting another minute talking to them.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Eamar said:
This, 100%

I'm not sure what universe you live in, but can I move there? It seems like a very reasonable place, and there's no such thing as "too reasonable".

But yes, pretty much this. Everyone has opinions, sometimes they're at odds. And sometimes, I don't feel like coughing up a 20-page peer reviewed thesis just so that random people might consider my opinion "relevant". Acknowledge and dismiss it all you want, just don't act as if I should have kept my mouth shut because I didn't feel like dissecting my opinion and explaining it in detail.

I agree, but to be fair there are plenty of instances where the debate has been taking place for a while and "It's my opinion". Is used as a rebuttal in a weak attempt to end the debate. In those cases I'd prefer if people said, "We'll have to agree to disagree." And concede to the fact that you won't change the other person's mind.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Some people need to learn to actually make proper arguments though, with evidence and examples to give them credibility and legitimacy.

I hate it when you write something that is your opinion, someone agrees with you, but instantly either takes something out of context, or just attacks you personally. Like in the OP, if I had made an albeit valid quip about Assassins Creed Revelations with examples added I would 100% expect any response to be someone calling me insensitive...

It's annoying and absurd and very lazy.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Vegosiux said:
Eamar said:
This, 100%

What did you benefit by posting your opinion if you don't want to explain it further or reply to those who may think differently or offer differing point of views? you say you don't care what others think and the like, but without discussion the point of a forum ceases.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
anthony87 said:
"Opinion" isn't some magic word you can hide behind to stop yourself being wrong, the sooner people learn this the better.
Of course, on the other hand there are almost undoubtedly people in the world to whom chocolate does taste like shit.

Anyway, a fundamental problem with the message OP is trying to get across is that far too often people state their opinions like facts. And in the realm of entertainment, you really just can't do that because something you think is terrible is not going to be terrible to everyone else, no matter exactly how bad you think it is. I don't care how many people were outraged at Dragon Age II, it's not the worst game ever created. SimCity and Diablo III aren't bad games because of online DRM. WoW and Call of Duty aren't bad games because they're popular.

There are certainly other reasons why someone could explain their dislike for each game, but in the realm of subjectivity too much is fluid and malleable. You hate the reused dungeons and areas in Dragon Age II? Okay, but recognize that it won't necessarily be as big a problem for someone else. You think the item drops in Diablo III are horribly balanced and completely ruined because of the AH? Okay, but that doesn't mean someone else won't have fun with the actual gameplay. You think CoD had too tight a grip on the industry and caused an influx of modern military shooters? Okay, but until Ghosts they were still fairly competently-made games.

Honestly, I wouldn't lose any sleep if everyone ever qualified their posts with "in my opinion". People put so much weight on their opinions that they seem to forget other people will hold different ones, and then become outraged when they see one that doesn't line up with their own.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
King Aragorn said:
What did you benefit by posting your opinion if you don't want to explain it further or reply to those who may think differently or offer differing point of views? you say you don't care what others think and the like, but without discussion the point of a forum ceases.
I'm pretty sure I answered this in my post. It depends on the nature of the thread: not all forum threads are designed to be debates.

If, to re-use my unimaginative example, the thread simply asks "What is your favourite video game?" and you respond with your personal answer plus a little bit of explanation, there's no obligation or expectation to add more. In that case, what you gain from posting in that thread is "showing your colours," or identifying yourself as a fan of a particular game, and contributing to the overall picture of which games are popular or unpopular on that particular forum. Sometimes what you gain is the happiness of remembering and sharing a favourite thing or moment (sounds a bit wet I know, but I've had that experience before).

Obviously you are correct when the thread actually is designed to be a debate though, and if a serious political/religious/ethical discussion is underway. But when you're just saying that you like a piece of entertainment? Sure, you can debate that, but not everyone wants to.

I get that you like to debate and that's your primary reason for using forums, but please try to bear in mind that not everyone feels that way.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
King Aragorn said:
The more annoying one is when people need you to shove IMO IMO on everything so they get the message that's its bloody subjective. Did I ever suggest it isn't? no? then why do you think otherwise?
I gave up putting IMO or similar on things a while ago. It should be obvious that it's my opinion as I'm the one typing it.

OT: It doesn't particularly bother me when someone says something like "It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it". I see it as they don't want to continue discussing it, but want to acknowledge that there are differing opinions.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
King Aragorn said:
"Not every" =/= "None at all".

And honestly, nothing's wrong with discussions, but I have a couple problems with them, as in, a) too often people think it's a contest; 2) too often people form prejudices on previous opinions; III) some topics are simply suited to a light-hearted exchange of tastes as opposed to a mind-bending exercise in philosophy.

Then again, Eamar's explained it really well already.

I'll just add that on a forum like this, nobody "owes" you anything, and to say other people are "wasting your time" by not adhering to your personal ruleset of talking over things is really conceited.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
King Aragorn said:
Okay went on a bit of a rant here, but what do you think of this dilemma we often see on the magical land of internet?
Personally I think it tends to happen because some people who debate just get too mean and venomous. Saying IMO a lot makes it so they can't dig into you quite as hard, as for why you'd post if you didn't want to debate? I guess maybe just to give the discussion a different perspective without getting bogged down in a fight over aspects of something you may find trivial. Really though the point of threads like this are to find like-minded people you get along with or opposition who can offer up an interesting perspective and make you change your mind (almost never fucking happens on the internet, even when it should). IMO should go without saying but for a lot of people who can't see outside of their own thoughts, it really doesn't.