It's Not a Gift, It's a Curse

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Nick Lerman said:
Apologies if I am too obscure.

It is difficult to capture the complex relationship between rabbit and duck in one vignette.
Their feud is ages old and their motives, forgotten over time.
I think the only thing to take away from this is that if rabbits can wear clothes
than ducks can wield machetes. It is a message that Beatrix Potter failed to deliver.

Gorrath is spot on with the egg observation.
Eggselsior!
Is <a href=http://www.bat-mania.co.uk/main/villains/images/vincentprice_egghead1.jpg>Vincent Price holding you hostage? Do we need to call the authorities?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
What is this I thought this was a video game site.

And if R&P taught me anything it's that philosophy and video games don't mix.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
What is this I thought this was a video game site.

And if R&P taught me anything it's that philosophy and video games don't mix.
Would it help if this was the backstory to the Atari 2600's Deadly Duck?

If you do get philosophy on your video game it is important that you use a smooth-textured, lint-free cloth dampened with tap water to clean the disk. Have it rest several minutes label side down to allow the excess moisture to evaporate.

Anthony Pankuch

Mar 8, 2012
I love it when the Escapist brings in unique stuff like this and Reel Physics. I see this as more of a nerdy variety website than simply a place for video games alone, and I quite like it that way.

Keep up the awesome surreality, Nick! May your stay here be long and plentiful.
...Or at least longer than Reel Physics's was.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white.
No, you're right. The first and second female bunnies are different. Either the goose is seeking revenge upon all of the rabbits for killing her young or that rabbit is the child of the two previous ones (and considering how fast rabbits mate, that may very well be true)

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Nick Lerman said:
If you recall, at the end of Njáls saga, Helgi Njálsson attempts to flee the burning of his house disguised as a woman.
I thought that this comic had certain similarities to other tales of my youth, which were not Beatrix Potter.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
And the beauty of reality is that the copulation of rabbits is essentially rape, where the winning male is literally the one who can outrun the other males and catch up to the (eventually) tired female after she can escape no more. Where mating then begins.
A good evolutionary tactic where only the strongest reproduces, i guess...but not a good love story. Is there any irony intended here?
Though, dare i say it, still a better love story than twilight

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I loved Beatrix Potter when I was little! This comic wins points just for referencing her stories.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
That duck should rethink its intentions. Bunnies can raise a zealous army in no time, and nobody wants to see an army of crazed bunnies wielding nuclear powered steamswords.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Nick Lerman said:
Farther than stars said:
Why specifically Scandinavian Medieval vengeance?
The classic struggle of duck versus rabbit was well represented by the cartoons of my youth.
They harken back the blood feuds found in medieval Scandinavian literature.
One insult begets another until duck entrails hang from trees and rabbit teeth spill on to the ice.
It almost always ends in fire.

MrFinnishDude, it's not enough that duck or rabbit succeed but that the other must also fail and preferably die
in a fire.
Fire, the universal solution for almost every known problem. Specially when ducks are involved, such cruel creatures...

Welcome to The Escapist, good sir, hope you enjoy your stay. I shall follow your struggle to the very end.

linforcer

Sep 10, 2012
I feel like I'm reading shorter "A lesson is learned comics, but the damage is irreversible" comics but with lower quality artwork.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Either this is very simple and cute one or i dont get it at all.

TopazFusion said:
What's the relation between rabbits and eggs anyway? I never did get that.
paganic consumerism celebrations. (easter bunny).

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
The Easter Bunny is a Golgothian monotreme with a candy-coated cloaca worshipped by the both The Sacred Order of Lagomorpha and The Antidaes.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Clankenbeard said:
And with the slaying of his beloved girlfriend, Buggs swears a lifetime of constant torture and humiliation upon Daffy. "DUCK SEASON!"

I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white. So there does not appear to be a link between the characters in the first panel and the last. Is the duck simply burning the forest and striking out against all rabbits?

Pointillismed! First panel obviously takes place on the Island of La Grande Jatte.
I took this to be an effect of sundown in the last picture.

Alternatively, and more likely, it's just some other rabbit she's attacking because she's gone on a Batman-style crusade.
Naw, naw, the writer explained it already. It's an allusion to an Icelandic myth, where a man tries to flee while disguised as a woman. The bunny in the last panel is the male from the first.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Farther than stars said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Clankenbeard said:
And with the slaying of his beloved girlfriend, Buggs swears a lifetime of constant torture and humiliation upon Daffy. "DUCK SEASON!"

I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white. So there does not appear to be a link between the characters in the first panel and the last. Is the duck simply burning the forest and striking out against all rabbits?
Alternatively, and more likely, it's just some other rabbit she's attacking because she's gone on a Batman-style crusade.
Naw, naw, the writer explained it already. It's an allusion to an Icelandic myth, where a man tries to flee while disguised as a woman. The bunny in the last panel is the male from the first.
I guess I have little choice now but to read Njal's Saga and verify the truth of this statement. I never imagined that the Escapist would have introduced me to Iceland's greatest blood fued saga.

Nick, you are out there. Not in Iceland--somewhere more...non-Euclidian...in a room full of anti-leptons and crushed spirits.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
I guess I have little choice now but to read Njal's Saga and verify the truth of this statement. I never imagined that the Escapist would have introduced me to Iceland's greatest blood fued saga.
Njáls saga starts slow but don't give up on it.
It has some of the best humor and violence in all of medieval literature.

"Now when they were come near to the house they knew not whether Gunnar were at home, and bade that some one would go straight up to the house and see if he could find out. But the rest sat them down on the ground.

Thorgrim the Easterling went and began to climb up on the hall; Gunnar sees that a red kirtle passed before the windowslit, and thrusts out the bill, and smote him on the middle. Thorgrim's feet slipped from under him, and he dropped his shield, and down he toppled from the roof.

Then he goes to Gizur and his band as they sat on the ground.

Gizur looked at him and said, "Well, is Gunnar at home?

"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead."

Translated by George Webbe Dasent [1861]

The entire saga can be found at Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17919

Egils saga is even better!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Nick Lerman said:
"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead."
You gotta get in the stinger before you kick it. That crazy Thorgrim. I bet he did a little stand-up comedy on the side while he wasn't mercilessly killing dozens of Icelanders. "What is the deal with Iceland? Is it ice or land? Make up your mind!"

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I like this a lot. Keep this type of stuff up.

I think people are looking at the duck and rabbit as being a little too literal.