It's Not Cosplay

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Couple of modifications and the Dark Souls one would fit for Dungeon Keeper as well.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Patlabor, Kenny, Big Boss, and a gimp because Dark Souls II makes you it's *****! God I love it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I screamed and karate chopped my screen once when playing Street Fighter IV, even though I wasn't in costume. Does that count?

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
The safe-word is Solaire.

Besides it's not that hard, I beat Capra Demon on my first try. Ahahahahaaa. *smug* *smug*

You know all these things I've come across lately that have reminded me that Dark Souls is a thing hasn't really helped me cope with the fact that DS 2 is still about a month away, maybe more since I play on PC.

Gasbandit

Jun 14, 2012
I'm not sure where to bring this up, so I'll do it here - since yesterday, a whole bunch of non-Critical Miss stuff (but stuff still hosted on Escapist Magazine) has been coming up in the Critical Miss RSS feed. Somebody over there is crossposting stuff like crazy.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Every last second of the past several weeks has been a blunt reminded by the gods that I need to "get over myself" and give Dark Souls a try. People keep mentioning it in comics, online, even in passing at the local Walmart and Gamestop.

... I'm scared to commit.

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
Grimh said:

Besides it's not that hard, I beat Capra Demon on my first try. Ahahahahaaa. *smug* *smug*

You know all these things I've come across lately that have reminded me that Dark Souls is a thing hasn't really helped me cope with the fact that DS 2 is still about a month away, maybe more since I play on PC.
Your profile picture is too relevant, sir...

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Vie said:
Couple of modifications and the Dark Souls one would fit for Dungeon Keeper as well.
Original or Mobile?

I can't believe I didn't get that last panel, I'm surprised I still have a shred of innocence left.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
I don't understand the Dark Souls outfit... I... don't get it.
I'm reading it's a gimp costume but... what?

Grimh said:

But it's not that hard.
There are so many people in this thread already saying "it will make you it's *****" and I really don't understand it.

I consistently underpowered myself and never found it particularly hard. That's not to say I never died, that would be absurd, but there's many a solution to every problem and if you pay attention and learn the mechanics you'll find your way.
By 'underpowered myself' I mean I never used a shield until very recently (and having used one, I found they make several enemies pointlessly easy, e.g. Lower Undead Berg dogs. I've no idea how they could even damage you using a shield), relying on backstabbing and dodging for defense, and every build has always been set to a pretty strict theme, to the point where I would refuse to two-hand a Zweihander so I can off-hand a Caestus (and because the Zweihander felt too small for the character to two-hand, tbh).

It certainly challenges you, but it's nothing like the levels people describe here and elsewhere and I doubt they're talking about NG+7... I've never understood it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
warmachine said:
I don't think it's possible to see out of that gimp mask. Or is that the best way to play Dark Souls II?
It probably wouldn't hurt her chances much.

But to be truly accurate, it should probably be on fire.
I always thought of Dark Souls as a game of extreme caution when you need plenty of consideration for your actions. Perhaps she should be playing it inside an iron maiden.

Oct 22, 2011
It took some time til i came to realization what's with DS outfit.

Then i laughed.

OT: Personally, when it comes to immersion, I limit myself to playing games like Thief at night.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
You know what is cosplay? Cosplay Keri, where that dark souls outfit would defiantly be appropriate.

I wont link her website for people who don't get it cos all there is on it so far is a news post about Jim.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
garjian said:
It certainly challenges you, but it's nothing like the levels people describe here and elsewhere and I doubt they're talking about NG+7... I've never understood it.
General experience for many gamers clearly isn't the same as your experience. I didn't find it overly difficult, except in a few sections (f you BK Archers in Anor Londo, f you Sens Fortress, f you skeletal dog/beasts, and a few bosses (one of which is broken). However, the stigma is there for people who aren't used to the game. And that's fine. It's a fun stigma to play around with.

Also, nothing past NG+(1) is hard. NG+ 4 Kings can be crushing if your DPS isn't up to snuff, but the rest of NG+ is pretty tame. After NG+, you're pretty much a god walking around the world, so it's all downhill. By NG+++ I can two shot sorcery cast down most of the bosses with Dark Bead... on a melee focused character.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
You know, most of us get immersed without costumes. ...or maybe that's just me.
Pfft. Weirdo. I always make sure to wear absolutely nothing but red sneakers and slather myself in blue paint before I play Sonic.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
C.TYR said:
I know, it captures my superiority so well doesn't it?

garjian said:
I agree that the game's difficulty gets blown way out of proportion sometimes.
It's more fitting to say it like you said that it is a game that challenges you and expects more out of you, asks you to pay attention, which is more than you get from a lot of games that are coming out these days.
I think it's just such a stark contrast that it colours people's view of the game when compared to other more hand-holdy ones.
And people tend to exaggerate a little in general as well, especially in text and especially on the internet.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Loved the cosplay of Titanfall and Metal Gear, Dark Souls cosplay pretty much nails it since that's how I see Dark Souls as a game where you gimp yourself and love the torture and pain and yet enjoy it and want to get beaten more.

Which is mostly why I'll never touch that game and it's not remotely my cup of tea, I'd rather prefer TF and MG this march though.

Edit: guess we can call this a /Dark Souls thread from now on.
Do you know that you can get good and learn the game, and then it isn't torture and pain?

Dark souls is simply a hard game that you need to learn how to play, during which you learn to think again in game: about tactics, taking a build that suits you and what you want to do, getting around traps, hiding from invaders, using allies, patience and timing.

A gimp outfit? I was hoping for an Artorias set.