It's not Football, it's Soccer

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
nick2150 said:
Meh, Football involves ball & Foot and vastly over paid men whining every time they get tackled, where as American football involves large padded men taking a break every five minutes because they are really out of shape. both suck.

now what I really think has the wrong name is the baseball World Series. why is it called the world series? does the world participate? do they even know its going on half the time? No, its pretty much just America. so why is it called the world series??
There are a lot of players from other countries that play in the MLB, so it isn't just America participating. Its just that all the teams except one are in the US, there is one team in Canada, the Toronto Blue Jays. There was a team in Montreal, but they moved to Washington D.C.

Its also because we Americans believe that the MLB is the best baseball league in the world. You do see more players coming to the US to play in the MLB, than you do see leaving to play in other leagues.

OT: The name doesn't matter to me at all, I call it soccer, my friends call it soccer, I understand it is football to pretty much the rest of the world.

ThePantomimeThief

Nov 9, 2009
Caliostro said:
Pimppeter2 said:
[HEADING=2]Not Football, Soccer[/HEADING]
Then you missed the point of the article you quoted.

Football is it's real name, soccer was slang, a shortening if you will.
Bingo. It's still football. Particularly given that the word 'football' is the general name in major footballing countries, not just in the origins of our own Football Association. Fußball, fútbol, fotboll, le football, futebol. The only major player I can think of is Italy which is 'calcio'.

I don't mind American English at all, I think it's an entirely acceptable dialect of English and it always annoys me a little bit when us Brits try to say it's wrong (whilst at the same time using phrases and words that themselves have changed and 'bastardized' over time). But don't try and say it's superior, particularly from a phrase that is derived from a shortening of football in the first place ;)

Oh, and I knew this already, I thought it was common knowledge amongst football fans?

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Despite the historical facts, it still fucks me up when Americans call football soccer. I know I shouldn't, and that it really doesn't matter, but it gets me.

Also, just want to point out, I didn't want England to win the world cup. I knew we wouldnt and I hate my team because they're talentless overpaid dicks.

Anyway...

rowan-thats-me

Jul 23, 2008
surely football is the right term these days seeing that Fifa, you know, the ones who organise the world cup, have the word football in the name. it stands for International Federation of Association Football if your curious, which logically would be IFAF, not quite the same ring though eh? :)

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'm still gonna call it football... always have done and always will do...

The day I start calling it 'Soccer' is the day I start spelling 'CHEQUE' as 'CHECK'.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
So what? Soccer's an English word, but so is "trousers". We don't call it "trousers", and we don't call it "soccer". We call it football, I honestly think that you Yanks are snootier about football vs soccer than we are, because you have another sport called football.

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
Hm... I always did wonder where the term "soccer" came from...

Honestly, since I'm not interested in the sport, I couldn't really care less which name it goes by. Perhaps I'll just call it "Super Kicky Ball 64"

Questalace

Aug 9, 2010
I really hate football/soccer so

But I will say is there both our, british, words so who cares what we get mad and rant about as they are ours, we made them.

And if you would like to tell me that because America was founded by the thirteen British colonies on the Atlantic coast of North America and therefore you own the words too then you must be also agreeing that you are british? :D, Good day to you all!