its not illegal to watch

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
ElGringoBandit0 said:
You wouldn't download a car.
I do. Regularly. I downloaded a Honda just last week.
(my claims are getting stupid)

Portkins

May 27, 2008
Last I checked -

1 ) Do you own a legal copy? (Yes, go to 5) (No, go to 2)
2 ) Did you lose your disk? (No, go to 3) (Yes, go to 5)
3 ) Do you HONESTLY plan to buy it in the future? (No, go to 4) (Yes, go to 4)
4 ) Did you download it from the media owner's site? (Yes, go to 5) (No, go to 5)
5 ) Are you selling it? (Yes, go to 6) (No, go to 7)
6 ) Soap on a Rope
7 ) Legal.

As far as downloading.

Observing or watching illegally displayed or gained data is legal, as far as I know.

Tyr-Elhaz

Apr 16, 2009
actually there is a legal loophole that lets you copy as many copies of the movies you own as you want, in some states you can even give them away, but selling them is illegal. copyright laws are the ultimate grey area. as long as its not for profit, its only borderline illegal (meaning you can get off with a good lawyer)

ILPPendant

Jul 15, 2008
Vauban said:
bad rider said:
Vauban said:
ElGringoBandit0 said:
IT Crowd Anti Piracy ads [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82Lq2rVB_4]
Is that a video of the IT crowd, because it's blocked and i'm in england so i'm a little annoyed as it's a british comedy.
Yeah it is.
YouTube search function to the rescue. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg]

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Portkins said:
Last I checked -

2 ) Did you lose your disk? (No, go to 3) (Yes, go to 5)
3 ) Do you HONESTLY plan to buy it in the future? (No, go to 4) (Yes, go to 4)
4 ) Did you download it from the media owner's site? (Yes, go to 5) (No, go to 5)
6 ) Soap on a Rope
7 ) Legal.

As far as downloading.

Observing or watching illegally displayed or gained data is legal, as far as I know.
So hang on, if I sell a DVD I get soap on a rope?

6 ) Soap on a Rope

Anyway, you guys are missing the major point- Nothing is illegal unless you get caught. Murder is not illegal, leaving evidence that can prove that you committed murder is. Downloading copyrighted stuff is not illegal- getting traced is.

Myself? I'm lucky enough to live in a place where my ISP has a dynamic IP, so my IP changes every 14 days (IP bans work for about 2 weeks, any tracers in a download go dead after 2 weeks), so no jail for me.

Portkins

May 27, 2008
What.

Anyway, you guys are missing the major point- Nothing is illegal unless you get caught. Murder is not illegal, leaving evidence that can prove that you committed murder is. Downloading copyrighted stuff is not illegal- getting traced is.
This makes no sense.

Sure, if you don't get caught, you don't get in trouble, but it doesn't mean you haven't done wrong.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Portkins said:
What.

This makes no sense.

Sure, if you don't get caught, you don't get in trouble, but it doesn't mean you haven't done wrong.
What if no evidence was to be found, and he didn't feel bad about it?

Maybe then, in some incredibly odd, twist of logic, he wouldn't be gulity.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Abedeus said:
Good morning blues said:
Not sure about the States, but both of the activities listed in the OP are legal in the majority of countries in the world
Then why Youtube is censoring videos that use copywrited music? It's streamed, isn't it?
Youtube is an American company following American copyright laws.
To use a stupid example that hopefully explains this better: if the colour Green was copyrighted in America, Youtube would be required to remove all videos that have that colour in them. But if Youtube was located in Europe, they only have to block videos with green in them from being viewable by American users.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Adfest said:
I was always under the impression that it was the uploading part that was illegal, but I don't do it enough to bother with all the details.
Me too. Because downloading it (NOT on a P2P system) only costs the equivant of 1 DVD sale to the companies, whereas uploading or downloading via a P2P service is aiding criminal acts, a more serious crime.

Portkins

May 27, 2008
Doug said:
Adfest said:
I was always under the impression that it was the uploading part that was illegal, but I don't do it enough to bother with all the details.
Me too. Because downloading it (NOT on a P2P system) only costs the equivant of 1 DVD sale to the companies, whereas uploading or downloading via a P2P service is aiding criminal acts, a more serious crime.
It's still stealing.

Streaming videos via YouTube or somesuch website is just like watching it with a DVR or Tivo. You don't own the data, but you can watch it whenever/however.

Hell, if streaming is illegal, so is Tivo.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Kukul said:
ElGringoBandit0 said:
Watch me!
Haven't found any good torrent :(
All the good cars are in the private trackers.
Speaking of which, isn't paying for using a torrent site a bit oxymoronical, with emphasis on the moron?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Portkins said:
Doug said:
Adfest said:
It's still stealing.

Streaming videos via YouTube or somesuch website is just like watching it with a DVR or Tivo. You don't own the data, but you can watch it whenever/however.

Hell, if streaming is illegal, so is Tivo.
*struggles* probably. BUT they couldn't claim vast fortunes from people, like they did with pirate bay. As I said, its the equivent of lossing only 1 DVD sale each. With P2P, you are simulatiously helping others download the same thing, so as I said thats aiding a criminal act. i.e. more illegal and with a higher claim possibly.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
zauxz said:
Abedeus said:
zauxz said:
?

legal, illega, I dont care. I want it, i take it.

Anarchy, baby!
Oh, I see.

Nice TV you've got there. Now you don't. Mind if I take also your consoles and PC? No? Well too bad, I want them. Kiss them goodbye.

And don't go to the police, or you'll be another raging hypocrite.
Yay.

There is a BIG difference in stealing from a person, and stealing from a huge corporation. I have morals, you twat.
And since morals are distributed by mothers everywhere, making them (by some people's definition) a corporation (mothers, not morals), I can take what I want from your mom?

Sexual innuendo non-withstanding, and the same going for a generic "LOLwhut, you live with ur mom?", I think I can get some good money off of this...

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
zauxz said:
?

legal, illega, I dont care. I want it, i take it.

Anarchy, baby!
I'm with you...except the anarchy part. Anarchy sucks when you need the police, firefighters, ambulance, and other important stuff. Retarded restriction laws are bad however. Fuck them restrictions.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
seydaman said:
how does that make any sense?
Well you have sites that make money from advertisements and actually pay the content creators to to be able to put up stuff up. But I guess were not talking about those here.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
seydaman said:
sneakypenguin said:
seydaman said:
i was talking to this bloody idiot he with all his heart believes that going online and watching a streaming video of a movie is completely legal and he can do it all he wants, while DOWNLOADING the same movie is illegal. where is the logic in this??
Just depends where you stream it from...
how does that make any sense?
Some sites (YouTube, for instance) offer legit streaming. Only example off the top of my head is that YouTube has Koyaanisquatsi uploaded by the producers (or by YouTube in an agreement with them). I want to say Netflix does this somewhere but I don't think so.

But if you just go to Joe's Geocities or something and stream then yes, it's illegal.