It's offical. The protestors are getting stupider.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Genuine Evil said:
Da Orky Man said:
Genuine Evil said:
Da Orky Man said:
Genuine Evil said:
Im not going to pretend to understand economics (because I don?t ) but from what ive seen police brutality is happening. so if you lie about that why should I believe anything else you say?

also yes a large scale withdraw is a bad, bad idea .
Police brutality is when they kidnap and torture you for weeks. It's not when someone gets pushed back because they tried to punch a police officer.
If that is what police brutality means to you im sure you won?t mind if a cop pepper spray'd your mother in the face and then ran her over her with his motorcycle????????.

Cops are here to protect us against injustice not the other way around . and if you think it?s ok for a cop to hit someone without provocation then you'll have to explain why? to me .
Put yourself in their situation. You have several thousand people pushing at you, occasionally throwing a punch or clawing. Your job is to keep them away. You've been doing it for hours, and you may need to keep it up for hours. If I was up front, of course you should expect to be shoved back, or even pepper sprayed. It only lasts for an hour or so. I've eaten pepper spray on chips.
If I was in their situation, I would be shoving back anyone pushing me.
Im not trivializing their job or saying it?s easy BUT it?s still their fucking job and as much as it may suck they still have to represent the best of us and be the best people in that protest .

Also it?s people like you who give cops such a shity name
How am I giving the police a bad name? The only thing I'm pointing out is that it isn't as one-sided as people think. If someone punches a police officer, they have a right to defend themselves, with pepper spray or without. 'Police brutality' is exceedingly rare.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Susurrus said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I imagine there were quite a few writers in 1930 who said much the same thing. We're having a particularly big bust as a result of an enormous boom..
The thing is, the only reason 'bust' follows 'boom' in global economics is because we never learn are bloody lesson. We keep on building huge economic booms on corrupt practices that we should know full well are going to fail in the long term. If we just went back to the drawing board, and tried to build a system that is fairer and more transparent than the current one, economic growth may be slower, but it will be so much more stable, and scene's like this may never be seen again.

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
JCBFGD said:
Ah, yes, because a group of imbeciles completely represents tens of thousands of people, right?

Try again. Without the lies, if you would.
"So far, 6500 people have RSVP'd to the event..."

6500 is a statistically significant portion of 'tens of thousands'. This isn't a fringe group of the movement, it IS the movement.

Try again. Without your blinders, if you would.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
As with every group that tries to affect some sort of social or economic reform, there will always be idiots who try to usurp the cause for their own retarded ends.

You can't just dismiss what these protesters (or "protestors" as you put it) are trying to do because of the actions of a few morons.

That's like calling everyone in the tea party a radical secessionist who wants to kill the president and institute flogging as punishment for interracial marriage.

You can't just do that

Edit: Actually, after reading what they're trying to do, it sounds less stupid. They're not telling people to withdraw money from the bank and hide it under their beds. They're suggesting that people transfer their funds to Credit Unions.

I'm no economist, so I don't know what the implications could be, but I'm still wary of what could happen from 40,000 people doing it on the same day

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
I also blame everyone who took out a mortgage, loan or credit card that they simply couldn't afford. The banks shouldn't have lent it, true, but neither should the people have taken it. It's not just bank greed that got us here...

Also apt quote for all this;
Vladimir Lenin said:
Fascism is capitalism in decay.

Oct 30, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
The 'story' behind the pepper spay thing was that these women had been backed into a corner and separated from the rest of the protesters. They were in no position to be a threat to anyone and even if they were they weren't trying anything. The Police then suddenly decide to pepper spray them both for no reason. I don't care if the effects go away after a while, pepper spray is nasty shit and I somehow doubt that you have ever felt it if you're so keen to shrug it off as nothing. They were causing two defenseless people intense pain just for kicks. That's not just Police brutality, that's torture.
Ehh. I'm not sure there is any support for that. First I think a bunch of things need to be ruled out first, e.x. misreading a situation, exhaustion, fear, anger. They all pretty much range from mistakes to flat out bad, but for fun is a different level.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Let's take it from the top. "Well, he kinda worked for it." Correction, some of them worked for it. There are just as many others, particularly in government and the banking sector, who got their jobs and their huge salaries not because they were the best qualified, not because they were the hardest worker, but because they had connections. They could attend the right parties, schmooze the right people, and drop the right names, while people more talented than them get to continue sitting on the scrap heap because they didn't get a leg-up. Believe me, there's nothing that annoys me more than laziness, but even I have to admit that when you're born in the wrong neighborhood it doesn't matter how talented or ambitious you are, you're always going to be the little guy; and because big business has such a hold on government policy, they get pretty much free reign to shit on the little guy as much as they like. The protesters are right, that isn't fair.
It may not be fair, but for a private company, it isn't the public's business either. As you did point out, government or government contracting does change things.
NinjaDeathSlap said:
"They may have started it but everybody contributed to it". Yes, the culture of a 'buy now, pay later' economy existed on all levels of society. People borrowed and overspent for the sake of short term benefit without thinking about long-term implications. The financial crisis shouldn't have been a shock, it had been coming for a while and so no particular entity can hold all of the blame. However, you have to ask yourself, 'Who were the big players in propping up this system?'
Fair.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
'Who could have warned people to change in order to avoid this, but instead chose to bury their heads in the sand rather than give up their short-term profits?' The answer is certainly the big banks, and to a lesser extent the government. We all had a part in steering that ship, but they were on the bridge, telling us where to go, and now we have to take action to make sure they can't be allowed to have that level of control anymore.
I think that absolves the populace a bit too much. If we elect people who promise increases to government assistance/reduced taxes and don't elect people who want to shrink the debt, it shouldn't be a surprise when the debt grows larger.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
4173 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
The 'story' behind the pepper spay thing was that these women had been backed into a corner and separated from the rest of the protesters. They were in no position to be a threat to anyone and even if they were they weren't trying anything. The Police then suddenly decide to pepper spray them both for no reason. I don't care if the effects go away after a while, pepper spray is nasty shit and I somehow doubt that you have ever felt it if you're so keen to shrug it off as nothing. They were causing two defenseless people intense pain just for kicks. That's not just Police brutality, that's torture.
Ehh. I'm not sure there is any support for that. First I think a bunch of things need to be ruled out first, e.x. misreading a situation, exhaustion, fear, anger. They all pretty much range from mistakes to flat out bad, but for fun is a different level.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Let's take it from the top. "Well, he kinda worked for it." Correction, some of them worked for it. There are just as many others, particularly in government and the banking sector, who got their jobs and their huge salaries not because they were the best qualified, not because they were the hardest worker, but because they had connections. They could attend the right parties, schmooze the right people, and drop the right names, while people more talented than them get to continue sitting on the scrap heap because they didn't get a leg-up. Believe me, there's nothing that annoys me more than laziness, but even I have to admit that when you're born in the wrong neighborhood it doesn't matter how talented or ambitious you are, you're always going to be the little guy; and because big business has such a hold on government policy, they get pretty much free reign to shit on the little guy as much as they like. The protesters are right, that isn't fair.
It may not be fair, but for a private company, it isn't the public's business either. As you did point out, government or government contracting does change things.
NinjaDeathSlap said:
"They may have started it but everybody contributed to it". Yes, the culture of a 'buy now, pay later' economy existed on all levels of society. People borrowed and overspent for the sake of short term benefit without thinking about long-term implications. The financial crisis shouldn't have been a shock, it had been coming for a while and so no particular entity can hold all of the blame. However, you have to ask yourself, 'Who were the big players in propping up this system?'
Fair.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
'Who could have warned people to change in order to avoid this, but instead chose to bury their heads in the sand rather than give up their short-term profits?' The answer is certainly the big banks, and to a lesser extent the government. We all had a part in steering that ship, but they were on the bridge, telling us where to go, and now we have to take action to make sure they can't be allowed to have that level of control anymore.
I think that absolves the populace a bit too much. If we elect people who promise increases to government assistance/reduced taxes and don't elect people who want to shrink the debt, it shouldn't be a surprise when the debt grows larger.
While I'm not saying they should be absolved completely, the most you can really blame the populace for is being gullible and short-sighted, which isn't exactly a crime. It's the politicians, and particularly the bankers and tycoons, who carry the real guilt. The were the ones who lied and made corrupt decisions out of nothing but pure greed and contempt for their fellow man, the worst the public ever did was believe them when they said they had their best interests at heart.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
As I always say: money and measuring time are the two biggest idiocies humans ever invented. Lets just go back to barter, k?
Who em I kidding... As long as there is something shiny, who's gonna care it's shit in disguise?

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
snip

While I'm not saying they should be absolved completely, the most you can really blame the populace for is being gullible and short-sighted, which isn't exactly a crime. It's the politicians, and particularly the bankers and tycoons, who carry the real guilt. The were the ones who lied and made corrupt decisions out of nothing but pure greed and contempt for their fellow man, the worst the public ever did was believe them when they said they had their best interests at heart.
The general populous was stupid and greedy, as you'd expect taking loans and mortgages they simply couldn't afford. I don't know about the US but in the UK a big problem was so many people lied on mortgage applications to make it appear like they could afford it. Many did just think they would be fine and others knew full well what they were doing. They scraped by just fine when the going was good, but when a problem came along that's when all the toxic mortgage thing hit the fan.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44800021/

People keep bitching about police brutality that isn't even happening. Maybe the police actually do need to start beating some sense into these people.
People are stupid, thus police brutality doesn't exist?
We should ignore the flaws of the hand of the government because there are flaws within a group of people?
We should ignore injustice and taking away freedom because freedom will only cause our own demise?
I'm not following your reasoning here...

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
JCBFGD said:
Ah, yes, because a group of imbeciles completely represents tens of thousands of people, right?

Try again. Without the lies, if you would.
According to their page, 40,333 people (so far) will be participating in this. Try again.
40,333 people SAY they're going to participate in this, only about 10% of them will.

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
Rule Britannia said:
The whole occupy wall street is the dumbest shit.
"That guy has more money than me, it's not fair!" well he kinda worked for it.
"They are the ones that ruined the economy" well not really they may have started it but everybody contributed to it.
Yet alot of the time, these people don't 'work' for their money. They basically shaft other people out of theirs. Congrats, you 'worked' your way to the top! (And by top, it's mostly brown nosing and sucking up to everyone) And now that you're up there, clearly your job allows you to earn millions of dollars! As opposed to a Doctor or cop or someone who actually helps the world.

So I say, fuck it. The world, if it's going to stay with using money, needs to go back to the whole Gold/Silver Standard. Not magical money that's not there any more. And everyone who just trades stocks? Fuck that, go get a real job that helps the world out, you lazy bastards.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
I love how the OP actually knows what he is talking about, then everyone runs in going 'LOLZ YOU AR PRICK POHWICE R EBIL!!!!!!!!!'

Khallios

Apr 15, 2009
DarkRyter said:
You guys need to stop worrying about the economy and start worrying about Winter.

You won't be crying about banks when the whitewalkers storm the cities.
Aye, the Night's Watch is dangerously low on men, a war between the North and South ravages the land, and the Hillmen march.

Winter is coming.