It's offical. The protestors are getting stupider.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
People keep bitching about police brutality that isn't even happening. Maybe the police actually do need to start beating some sense into these people.
I'm not really sure why people complain about the wealth distribution. Wasn't the point of capitalism for people who are successful to become fabulously wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, and people who aren't successful go and work for those who are?
I would like to know what kind of fucked up upbringing you have where you hold to such outdated principals and hold large businesses interests so close to your heart.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
i think they said something that even if they taxed the rich as hard as possible while keeping them in the rich category, it would take something like 20-40 years to get rid of the debt because the nation takes in like 1-2 trillion a year and we have to keep ourselves running. I THINK im not sure about that at all.

which tells me, we spend too much damn money on government programs that dont create jobs. Because the government has a problem figuring out the difference between putting money in the economy and circulating money through the economy.
and that producing money is making the debt worse because half the value of money is it's rarity. after all, if only 10 thousand dollars existed in the US, that could buy half the nation.
I'm not sure what you're talking about before the space, buutt...

After the space. That government programme thing is wrong. Government programmes are famously good at making jobs, too many is the most common criticism. You're also not taking into account the positive externalities. If you still think you're right, I'd like you to identify some government programmes that are just so efficient they're not making enough jobs.

As for putting money in/circulating money through: when you run a deficit, you are putting money in. When you run a perfect balance, you are circulating. When you run a surplus, you are hoarding money. You do not want to hoard in a recession. That would make it worse. I'm still not really sure what your argument is, though.

As for the third thing: pinting money makes debt better because it causes inflation which reduces the interest payments by lowering the effective interest rate. Remember, effective interest rate is Interest rate-Inflation. That's how you can have negative interest rates. You know how inflation reduces the value of your savings? It's the same principal. When you put money in a bank you are lending it to them (that's why they pay you interest). That money in your account is money the bank promises to pay the bearer on demand- that stuff is on the bank notes for a reason. It's a debt they owe you. Inflation reduces the size of the national debt just as it reduces the size of that bank's debt to you.

And let me tell you, the worst possible thing you could possibly suffer is deflation. You do not want that. Better to deal with a little inflation than any deflation.

To be honest, saying that printing money doesn't reduce deficits highlights a pretty huge gap in your knowledge of economics. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Aglynugga said:
Hey...wait. Isn't closing your bank account legal? I mean, aren't you allowed to withdraw money or close your account at your discretion? Well, ok, as long as the bank is open? It doesn't really matter how many people decided to withdraw money, it's their legal right to do so. It's, you know, the American Way.
And why should banks get away with not having a large enough physical stock of money to handle mass withdrawls? I mean, no matter what amazing work of financial fiction is occuring, isn't every electronic dollar in someone's account supposed to be physically represented by an actual dollar as well? I mean, I'm not an economist, but isn't that how it works? You can't just make up electronic cash, can you?
Yup.

It's called Fractional Reserve Banking. Banks are only obliged to keep something like 8% worth of their total cash in the form of actual notes they can give you. Naturally, they keep the fraction as low as they can because that fraction is money they can't lend or spend; it has to be kept on hand in case you ask for it. Simple as that.

The vast majority of the money in the world does not exist. It's just promises of future money. That's what people are hinting at when they say 'False Economy' or 'False Wealth'. When bankers are making imaginary money via the movement of other bundles of imaginary money, are they actually making anything? In many people's minds, no. For them it's just greed, but the problem is that although those bankers make millions off this imaginary money, they do not suffer any kind of loss or real risk if they fail. Even when they wreck societies in the process.

I mean, when you're being paid over $1,000,000 a year, you just need to play it safe for a few years, then fuck everyone else, fuck your reputation, fuck your country, fuck your shareholders, and fuck your company, because you have enough money saved up to live a long life of luxury regardless of how the world turns around you. You can take ridiculous risks that can destroy your career or your country's economy because you depend on neither anymore because you're just that rich.

And the worst part is that, because they now no longer depend on other people, they feel no debt to the society which facilitated and facilitates their wealth.

gummibear76 said:
Danny Ocean said:
'The curse of knowledge is eternal exasperation.'
That line just made my day.
Thank you! I made it myself.

May 29, 2011
I was with these people at first, but after reading into all the fucking stupidity I'm starting to think this was not a good way to handle this. It had to be done, but people could have been smart about it.

Dec 14, 2009
AnotherAvatar said:
Kendarik said:
AnotherAvatar said:
Kendarik said:
Versuvius said:
It's a good way of proving the point that the banks are creating a false economy. Which is bad.
Spoken like a person who doesn't ever want to buy anything on credit. You didn't really want to own a house one day did you?
Maybe credit shouldn't exist. Maybe it's a failed invention. I mean it's only been around for what, like 60 years or so (at least in it's modern form)
What are you talking about? Credit has been around for most of recorded history.
Wow, really? That's what you think?

Coins haven't even been around for all of recorded history... Find a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Anyway, I was specifically talking about credit cards, which are a very recent invention. Around, what, like 40 years maybe?
You aren't going to last long here if you keep on insulting people, just a heads up.

Also, he's right, that's why he said recorded history.

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
ScreamingNinja said:
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
Kopikatsu said:
The Wall Street protesters are stupid anyway. hey don't have a clue how the economy works, they don't have a clue what they're arguing for, their just a bunch of idiots with too much spare time. There's a brilliant photo of a protester holding up a "Down with corporations sign" While he is texting on his iphone, wearing oakleys sunglasses and designer clothes. What an idiot.

The most annoying ones are the ones who think the rest of the world support them. I saw one sign that read "London is rising with us." Lol, no it isn't.
Because if you want a change in the way the world works, you're not allowed to wear/use the toys that corporations make, amirite?

HEY YOU! YOU DON'T LIKE CAPITALISM! YOU HAVE TO WEAR CLOTHING YOU MADE YOURSELF OUT OF FLAX! YOU CANNOT DRIVE! YOU MUST WALK EVERYWHERE, BAREFOOT!

Sorry, doesn't work that way.
1) You completely missed the point.
2) Err, in the current industrial model, you sorta do. Thanks for using all-caps though to draw attention to how stupid these people are. ;)
Nope, I didn't.

And no, you don't. Even if you hate something you can still wear labels, if that's what you really want to. Hell, I hate wearing the flashy labels myself, but almost everything has some form of labelling now. Hell, even Warehouse stuff. Doesn't mean I'm going to run around naked just because douchebags make money offa the gizmo's and gagdets.

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
Heeman89 said:
ScreamingNinja said:
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
Kopikatsu said:
The Wall Street protesters are stupid anyway. hey don't have a clue how the economy works, they don't have a clue what they're arguing for, their just a bunch of idiots with too much spare time. There's a brilliant photo of a protester holding up a "Down with corporations sign" While he is texting on his iphone, wearing oakleys sunglasses and designer clothes. What an idiot.

The most annoying ones are the ones who think the rest of the world support them. I saw one sign that read "London is rising with us." Lol, no it isn't.
Because if you want a change in the way the world works, you're not allowed to wear/use the toys that corporations make, amirite?

HEY YOU! YOU DON'T LIKE CAPITALISM! YOU HAVE TO WEAR CLOTHING YOU MADE YOURSELF OUT OF FLAX! YOU CANNOT DRIVE! YOU MUST WALK EVERYWHERE, BAREFOOT!

Sorry, doesn't work that way.
I don't think he was implying that protesting with clothes made by corporations was bad, he was merely commenting that that guy probably doesn't "get it" while he is standing around waving that sign. That guy is there because he saw it on Facebook or Twitter and all his friends are attending it so he went because he didn't want to be left out. He probably doesn't understand that corporations that use practically slave labor in other countries to make your "designer" clothes are just as much a part of the problem as the corporations who didn't get to where they are by good old values like hard work instead they got there by screwing someone else or kissing ass or corruption.

OT: I still haven't figured out if I "like" (not sure how else to put that) these Occupy people yet. I'm trying to understand what they are trying to accomplish but they don't seem to have a clearly defined long term plan.

The problem I really have is just the HUGE double standard with the media in the US of A. When the "Tea Party" started people were calling them "extremist", "hateful", "racist" etc when all they were doing was protesting against what (my opinion) looks like government run health care. For those who believe in small government, that is a BIG deal. But with "Occupy" people if ANYTHING happens to them, instant violation of their First amendment rights. If the owner of the PRIVATELY owned park wants to close it to clean it up (because if he doesn't he will be violating health and safety regulations in the city) they claim that he is trying to shut them down and crush their rights. No he is isn't! He has to follow the law! If someone gets hurt on his property he could be liable. It's double standards like this that make me weep for this country.
See, to say that he doesn't 'get it' implies that you know him, and his motives. So till that's cut and dry, you can't really make any claims against him, just assumptions. Could be he was given all that stuff from birthdays and the like, and decided to wear it.

And that second part, I can understand that. On the flipside.. Are they actually on private propery? Or is it public? And on the OTHER flipside, don't the people they're protesting against own alot of land, because they're greedy rich moguls who love to fuck everyone else over? And if that's the case, then where could they protest, when someone they're protesting against controls all the land?

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Police are there to protect society as a whole, not individuals.

Not really sure why you brought up the McDonalds woman when I don't know ANYONE who doesn't think the case was fuckin' ridiculous. You order hot coffee, you get hot coffee. If you spill it on yourself, it's your own goddamn fault and you should take responsibility for that. It's not like a McDonalds employee ran out and dumped the coffee on her. Anyway...

All the other BS aside, I am sick to death of seeing the McDonald's "Hot Coffee" case as some sort of example of legal abuse. IT WAS NOT.

Maybe you should get some FACTS before you make an ignorant statement like that.

#1 - McDonald's has had a history of keeping their coffee at unsafe temperatures and had, in fact, settled hundreds of lawsuits out of court for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The company had been made aware that their coffee was prepared and served at dangerously hot temperatures, but refused to change their practices.

#2 - The woman in the infamous 1994 case you're referencing (Stella Liebeck) suffered 3rd-degree burns and was in the hospital for over a week for skin-grafting procedures. Her personal losses - medical expenses, loss of work time, etc. were about $18,000 and she originally asked McDonald's to pay $20,000. McDonald's offered her $800.

#3 - Since McDonald's refused to cover her medical expenses, Ms. Liebeck took them to court. The jury found McDonald's 80% responsible for the incident, and thus reduced the original $200,000 award to $160,000 in compensatory damages. They also awarded punitive damages of nearly $3 million - a figure they arrived at by calculating how much McDonald's makes on coffee in 2 days. (That's right, McDonald's was making OVER $1.3 MILLION on JUST coffee each DAY, but refused pay $20,000 in medical expenses.)

#4 - The punitive amount was reduced by the judge to just under half a million dollars. McDonald's appealed, and eventually the case was settle for an undisclosed sum LESS than $600,000.

If anything, McDonald's got off too easily.

Also, society is MADE UP OF INDIVIDUALS. The U.S. Constitution guarantees many INDIVIDUAL rights (e.g., speech, bearing of arms, fair trial, etc.) The Constitution does not GIVE you your rights, it is designed to limit the GOVERNMENT'S ability to curb those rights. People have the right to assemble and protest. The government does NOT have the right to bully them or stop them in any way, unless they pose some other danger - which these people have clearly NOT.

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
Razada said:
DarkRyter said:
I wish I had more than a tangential understanding of economics.

Then I could have an opinion on the matter beyond vague populist notions.
You ser are my hero.

I thought I would quote you to say as much.

To everyone else on this forum.

Read this.

If you have anything less then a Masters in Economics, Quote exactly what this wonderful, wonderful person has stated and then leave this place.
Because if you don't have any idea what's going on, you're not allowed to feel cheated or annoyed by it at all, when you find out that people at the top who don't do real work are getting paid millions, while you're scrubbing their bathrooms for minimum wage.

Clearly if you don't have a Masters in You have no views! So who here has been in the army and studied War, and religion, and Middle Eastern culture? Because if you haven't done those three things(At least) Your views on Isreal/Palastine/Middleeasternextremists doesn't matter!

Pope Greer

Jul 5, 2011
it is alarming to me that somebody with so little understanding of economics, the banking system, and protesters should be allowed to present themselves as an authority on all three.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
AnotherAvatar said:
Kendarik said:
AnotherAvatar said:
Kendarik said:
Versuvius said:
It's a good way of proving the point that the banks are creating a false economy. Which is bad.
Spoken like a person who doesn't ever want to buy anything on credit. You didn't really want to own a house one day did you?
Maybe credit shouldn't exist. Maybe it's a failed invention. I mean it's only been around for what, like 60 years or so (at least in it's modern form)
What are you talking about? Credit has been around for most of recorded history.
Wow, really? That's what you think?

Coins haven't even been around for all of recorded history... Find a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Anyway, I was specifically talking about credit cards, which are a very recent invention. Around, what, like 40 years maybe?
You aren't going to last long here if you keep on insulting people, just a heads up.

Also, he's right, that's why he said recorded history.
So I can't call someone a dunce because he doesn't realize that recorded history goes back further than 9000 years (which was the first recorded currency, by the way)? I honestly couldn't care less if I get banned for speaking my mind, I'm a strong believer in free speech, and it would honestly be this forum's loss as far a I'm concerned.

I'm sorry if I don't subscribe to the school of thought where history only counts if the British said it did, but in my opinion recorded history stretches back to Mesopotamia, making the earliest recorded history 11,500 years old. Money as I said, around 9,000.

You know what, for that matter, to really send home my point, because you're clearly blind to the true nature of reality: WHO CARES ABOUT RECORDED HUMAN HISTORY! We're a blink in the eye of time, this planet has existed for BILLIONS of years, and for ALL of those BILLIONS of years, there were no humans, and as such NO CREDIT! I doubt the Dinosaurs were worried about building good credit so they could afford a nice nest in a good neighborhood. Maybe you should ask the birds about their complex credit system.

No matter what any of you think, credit, especially IN IT'S MODERN FORM (For being on a forum you people have a hard time reading...), is nothing more than an experiment made up by the ruling class, and isn't a totally necessary part of reality.

And if you can't see how it's a corrupting and dangerous element that blinds people to their actual situation as the pauper working class that makes up 80+% of our population then I think I'm within my rights to call you a blind little fool.

P.S. My big problem here, and why I'm being so offensive is that you people are calling me out as wrong when you haven't even done research, and I'm so sick of seeing that on forums. Why must places like this be filled with people who think they learned everything they need to know in High School? Why when I make an accurate statement that counters something you thought you knew, why do you just blindly reply saying I'm wrong instead of taking the five seconds to Google it and open your minds to a new possibility.

But no, you have to be right, because I have less than 100 posts, so clearly I must be a five year old.

This is my problem with forums and why I couldn't care less if I get banned; WAY WAY WAY too many people talk out of their ass without the shit to back it up.

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
Anyone else think it's kind of interesting that in a thread talking about police brutality and oppression, the mods are banning people for speaking their mind?

Edit: Well it's happened twice.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
Danny Ocean said:
1984 envisioned a society where the people were controlled through the application of fear and violence.

Brave New World envisioned a society where the people were controlled through the application of information and pleasure.

1984; stick.

Brave New World; carrot.

Guess which one you're living in?

Hint: It's not 1984. That's just misinformation.
Heh, I think it's both at this point, they took the bits of each that worked best and combined them.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
AnotherAvatar said:
So I can't call someone a dunce because he doesn't realize that recorded history goes back further than 9000 years (which was the first recorded currency, by the way)? I honestly couldn't care less if I get banned for speaking my mind, I'm a strong believer in free speech, and it would honestly be this forum's loss as far a I'm concerned.
Well if you're a strong believer in free speech, you'd know that it doesn't exist on an international forum run by a private company that has set up a set guidelines that you have agreed to follow when you made your first post here.

In short, you voided your right to free speech.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
AnotherAvatar said:
No matter what any of you think, credit, especially IN IT'S MODERN FORM (For being on a forum you people have a hard time reading...), is nothing more than an experiment made up by the ruling class, and isn't a totally necessary part of reality.
They're not having a hard time reading. The problem is that your definition of 'Modern Credit' is far more specific than theirs. Credit cards are not the only new or 'Modern' way of borrowing.

Furthermore, the emboldened section is hardly emblematic of the kind of 'open mind' you believe we all lack. You seem remarkably unable to give the people you're talking to the benefit of the doubt.

People who are used to speaking from a position of knowledgeable authority and who actually wish to change peoples' minds, rather than waggle their knowledge in their face, have to develop a way of addressing less knowledgeable people that does not alienate them. They don't insult them, they don't belittle them, and they don't act so superior. What they do do, is teach them. Respectfully, patiently, and with suitable vocabulary.

Your inability to maintain said demeanor in the face of this meager questioning of your intellect:

Kendarik said:
Only serves to present you as someone who doesn't really know what he's talking about, and who hides that fact behind insults and vague terms; or as someone who is so arrogant as to render the knowledge he possesses useless due to an inability to effectively and personably communicate it.

...I think I'm within my rights to call you a blind little fool.
So please, if not for anyone else then for yourself: grow up.

Dec 14, 2009
Rockchimp69 said:
Anyone else think it's kind of interesting that in a thread talking about police brutality and oppression, the mods are banning people for speaking their mind?

Edit: Well it's happened twice.
There's speaking you're mind, and there's insulting people for no reason.

Insults have no place in intelligent debate.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Banks = good.
Banks runs = VERY VERY VERY BAD
Stupid people....don't they understand that mass bank runs will crash the economy?
The people who will hurt the most are NOT the "big corporations", it will hurt everyone.
Everyone just needs to sit down for a while and learn a little about Economics before they start doing drastic things without knowing what will happen.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Danny Ocean said:
So please, if not for anyone else then for yourself: grow up.
Best possible response to that: PFFFBT

I don't need to follow rules to sway people to my side when I'm right. If everyone wants to keep this shitty system going even though it flies in the face of reason and has proved it's self detrimental to the human condition then I'll just shrug and let the human race doom it's self.

I'm a part of it but majority does rule, and while I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with that thought, it is simply the truth. And sadly the majority are morons who think drinking fluoride is healthy, and that they should be able to afford things beyond their means because... well just because!

I say if they're going to burn it down anyway that really we should do it quicker.

My biggest problem with your argument is that it only has one point about my issue and the rest is just a critique of how I present myself. And your one point on the issue is "not a lot of people understand the phrase modern credit" to which I say: well maybe they shouldn't be so droolingly stupid, maybe take an economics class or, you know, switch your brain on and ponder how the word modern is used...

Yet another case of "well, you're right, in every way, but I don't like the way you said it..." Cry me a river, I'm not here for your enjoyment, I'm here to make a point and hear other's points, but it doesn't seem that anyone has one (any of my opponents I should say, there are other people saying good things on here).

And to end on a childish note: Nice screen name. (Can you hear my eyes rolling?)

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
AnotherAvatar said:
Well if you're a strong believer in free speech, you'd know that it doesn't exist on an international forum run by a private company that has set up a set guidelines that you have agreed to follow when you made your first post here.

In short, you voided your right to free speech.
I did, but I also know the rules of this place, and I'm quite far from a full warning meter.

So, in a way I do have free speech on here, I just can't say too many offensive things in one sitting.

Which isn't hard or anything. This is actually the first heated discussion I've had on here. On forums, I'm usually pretty good about letting the idiocy of others slide go, I figure if I don't like it I don't have to read it. But when people are talking about something that matters A LOT right now, and they're doing so out of their ass using nothing but the propaganda that has been spread around by the ruling class...

Well I just can't sit silent, and I can totally get a bit heated.

As I said though, I have no fear of getting banned. Like at all. Even if it happens it's the slightest slap on the wrist. And at this point my reaction would simply be: "Oh, well I guess I just won't waste my time typing out paragraphs of meaningful text so that no one will read it, and the only people who do will just be fools so deeply opposed to it that they'd rather just spout non-sense about it not being true without so much as a google search to back them up. THANK FUCKING GOD! Let's go make some music."

(Not saying you're a fool by the way, I don't think I've debated anything with you yet. Just to clarify.)