It's ok to be angry about capitalism

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
5 -7 trillion ...
Delusions of grandeur, i would think. For perspective, the US and China are the only countries with a higher GDP in the world.
I would lean towards the usual "billionaires are actually dumb as fuck, they just started life on 3rd base and then immediately fell to the ground, shit their pants and insisted they're the best players in the world". Every billionaire, bar none, once given enough of a platform has outed themselves as a fucking moron. The only exceptions are the ones who keep fucking quiet. Is Jeff Bezos evil? Definitely. Is he dumb? Probably. Does he know to keep his mouth shut? Absolutely.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
5 -7 trillion ...
Delusions of grandeur, i would think. For perspective, the US and China are the only countries with a higher GDP in the world.
I think the words that come to mind about that sort of chip output (and thus usage and energy requirements) are "climate change catastrophe".

But hey, maybe Mr. Altman's large language model AI can come up with an idea to fix everything.

Reactions: Kwak

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Every billionaire, bar none, once given enough of a platform has outed themselves as a fucking moron.
I think, perhaps, it's more that billionaires are good at a relatively limited number of things, and then to paraphrase Feynman, on any other subject they're as dumb as the next guy.

The public are then dumb enough not to realise these guys are just as dumb on the half topics they spout on.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I think the words that come to mind about that sort of chip output (and thus usage and energy requirements) are "climate change catastrophe".

But hey, maybe Mr. Altman's large language model AI can come up with an idea to fix everything.
There is a radical life extension company funded by Sam Altman, and I argue it's worth it to get radical life extension and that the problems we face will be temporary. But again a lot of these CEOs have great projects but are in a bubble. I would argue there is a medium amount of wealth you need to be comfortable, and knowledgeable, but a diminishing margin of return on being wealthy to the point where having more money/power isn't a good thing.

People even in the US complain about this, there is one general who stated who gets enemies wrong in how strong they are, the Nazis/Japan was stronger, and the USSR was weaker than what the on-paper statistics and intelligence suggest.

Well the US is not made of gods, and this will be likely even with AI and all the data in the world +1. And both are wrong answers.

The US over-prioritizes what a CEO thinks about everything, and underprioritizes what the middle class and working class think about healthcare costs for example.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
There is a radical life extension company funded by Sam Altman, and I argue it's worth it to get radical life extension and that the problems we face will be temporary.
Life extension is a catastrophe without a comprehensive re-ordering of society.

Firstly, you and I probably won't get radical life extension, millionaires/billionaires will. As is currently, at least they die at roughly the same pace as everyone else. And that means them getting to live for many decades more, squatting on a titanic proportion of human wealth. And even if life extension does eventually become cheap enough for the masses, what that means is that we just have to slog our guts out on the daily grind for even longer. And you think we have a problem now with the economic and political power of society being with the old and denied to the young?

The whole idea stinks of these greedy, power-mad arseholes indulging their fantasies. With a nice, broad dash of that sort of "move fast and break things" ideology that they don't remotely believe in when the thing that threatens to be broken is them and theirs.

Reactions: Satinavian

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Life extension is a catastrophe without a comprehensive re-ordering of society.

Firstly, you and I probably won't get radical life extension, millionaires/billionaires will. As is currently, at least they die at roughly the same pace as everyone else. And that means them getting to live for many decades more, squatting on a titanic proportion of human wealth. And even if life extension does eventually become cheap enough for the masses, what that means is that we just have to slog our guts out on the daily grind for even longer. And you think we have a problem now with the economic and political power of society being with the old and denied to the young?

The whole idea stinks of these greedy, power-mad arseholes indulging their fantasies. With a nice, broad dash of that sort of "move fast and break things" ideology that they don't remotely believe in when the thing that threatens to be broken is them and theirs.
I would work longer if it means I see humans form a type one civilization.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I would work longer if it means I see humans form a type one civilization.
Superwealthy people using their money (and thus wasting humanities ressources) chasing expensive and inefficient methods to potentially extend their own life remind me more of Qin Shi Huang doing basically the same thousands of years ago.

That said, i am not generally against life extensions as long as they remain affordable on scale. And i would certainly welcome methods to slow or negate age related health problems. While too much power is in the hand of old people, policies would still improve if they were less senile.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It'd be interesting to see how the world would change if billionaires expected to lived, say, 200 years and had to live with the world they are creating. Most likely be horrific in new and exciting ways.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It'd be interesting to see how the world would change if billionaires expected to lived, say, 200 years and had to live with the world they are creating. Most likely be horrific in new and exciting ways.
If nothing else, the innovations in bunker design would be impressive.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I think one thing to always remember is that what many people are bothered about is relative wealth and power, not absolute wealth and power.

Which is to say, if civilisation collapses, a billionaire may in fact be enormously satisfied as the guy who still has a functioning electric toothbrush and clean pair of jeans in his bunker when the rest of the world has to scrape at their teeth with sticks and don tattered rags. In fact, that IS the whole point of their (probably New Zealand) bunkers. Who cares what the human race loses when they and theirs still come out on top in the ruins?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

I hate that he's right. Last return trip from the Moon would come up a bit short tho.

Beat the rich

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Air Canada essentially argued that "the chatbot is a separate legal entity that is responsible for its own actions," a court order said.

Uhh... they seriously tried that argument? Wow. It would have been genuinely horrifying it had worked.
I think it might have been a case of being obviously in the wrong, and hoping for a weird longshot.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They do need to do something about self-checkout (not sure what the best thing would be, though I definitely would not be subscribing to some Target or Walmart service) because they are losing more money on theft than they are saving from needing less workers.
Self checkouts were in high demand during COVID when people didn’t want randoms touching all their food. It’s still like that really, and I also like it because it’s more efficient especially when stores have shop & scan via app. Our local grocer still has a randomized preventative measure where an employee has to scan a few items before you can check out. Actually it’s been more often than not in the last few months given the economy. Not sure how much good it does, but it’s still a small hassle next to having to wait in long lines to put all your shit on a dirty conveyor belt.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Self checkouts were in high demand during COVID when people didn’t want randoms touching all their food. It’s still like that really, and I also like it because it’s more efficient especially when stores have shop & scan via app. Our local grocer still has a randomized preventative measure where an employee has to scan a few items before you can check out. Actually it’s been more often than not in the last few months given the economy. Not sure how much good it does, but it’s still a small hassle next to having to wait in long lines to put all your shit on a dirty conveyor belt.
They were moving to self-checkouts in the UK long before covid. It's pretty simple: they take up less space so more shop room for goods and/or more people can pay at once, and it means you can have one staff member running maybe up to 10 checkouts. Customers - generally - have less queuing. Cheaper and more efficient.

The idea of spending more money for self checkout is just fucking appalling. The idea here is surely a "premium" lane, like you can pay extra for premium passport/baggage aisles at the airport, because why not try to squeeze out even more money out of it?