It's senior year and I picked the wrong major

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
Hey. I'm in my first week of my last two semesters of college. Right now, I'm majoring in Psychology. I really think that was the wrong choice.

My whole higher-learning story: I graduated in 2010 and took a year off to work, not knowing what I wanted to do. I decided computer science would be a good fit for me, so I went to a local community college to do that. First semester was alright, but the second semester was one of the worst periods of my life. I was only taking one computer-related class, but it was awful. I had doubts that CS was the right fit for me, and decided to switch to something else. My favorite class of that era was psych 101, so I decided I should do that. I was getting a lot of pressure to commit to something, so I latched on to the first thing I sort-of liked. I finished up at community college, transferred to four-year, and now here I am. Thing is, I'm wondering if I made the right decision the first time.

I really think computers would be a better fit for me. Something more along the lines of IT than programming. I think the big reason I had such a rough time the first go-around was because I just had a terrible professor (seriously, he was the worst I ever had. He would straight-up ridicule you in front of the entire class if you got something wrong. The class test average was something like 32%). More-so, I was an emotional teenager with an utter shit work ethic. Hence the whole dropping-the-field-as-soon-as-it-got-hard thing.

I really don't see myself as a therapist or researcher. I don't think I ever did. I just kind of told myself that to try to sell myself on it. I can definitely see myself working in IT though. I've been building/fixing computers for as long as I can remember, and my friends always come to me for help when they're having problems with their tech stuff. I have a lot of friends in that field, and we talk about stuff they do at work/stuff they're studying all the time. Plus, I'm friendly, patient, and practice proper hygiene, which I hear gives me an edge in that field.

All that said, I'm worried that it's too late for me. Like I said, I graduate in two semesters in a completely unrelated field. I'll be an old man of 23 when I graduate, and I don't want to start again at square one. I'd like to start my career before I turn 30. People in my family are already giving me shit for "being in school forever." It doesn't help that my sister is the perfect student at a prestigious private school and my cousin literally goes to Yale.

So... yeah. I really don't know what to do. Should I just see what I can get with my psych degree? Should I look for graduate programs in IT? (I haven't found many, though I may not be looking in the right places. What bothers me about that is that I have very little undergrad experience in the field. I do have a 3.9 GPA though, and I'm taking honors psych courses, if that helps at all). Get a job at Walmart and work on an Associates degree at night? See if one of my friends in the field can help me out? I feel more directionless than I have in years.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well one of the major advantages you have right now is that your generals are done (this is a four-year university, correct?).

There are a couple of routes you can take that might be for you...

Route #1: Stay in school. Yeah, it sucks having to stay but with your generals done, it won't take as long. I'm not sure what kind of overlap there would be but ask your school what credits you need for CS (or whatever tech degree you gun for) and see what you've already done that might be able to bounce over. You'd be kind of surprised how often those cross over.

Route #2: Leave school and gun for a tech job anyway. This is actually a decent route if you are willing to start lower on the totem pole. My buddy has a BS in Journalism and a Masters in English and he ended up doing the tech thing because he couldn't get a job in his field. A lot of businesses also have a school-program that will help you pay for school (for example; I work at US Bank and we get 75% back on tuition if we get a relevant degree, although we are required to stay at our work for at least two years or you have to pay that back...)

Route #3: Give your degree a chance. This is a long shot since you probably know you better than I know you (or I sure as hell hope that's the case...) but maybe you'd really enjoy counseling or therapy or whatever you can do with those degrees...

Good luck.