It's Too Loud (Because I'm Too Old)

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I don't think any of us are getting old, in fact I think that trailer shows how dated the game industry's tastes are. Overly choreographed Kung Fu wire fights were waaaayyy cool in the mid 90's, back when the US realized the Chinese made movies. Now, it's pretty old hat.

What else? A black dude with blonde corn rows - that's so Allen Iverson meets Sisqo back when Iverson was good at basketball and Sisqo was, well, something. I don't think any of us are getting old, I think Dragon Age is just a little behind the times.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Hmmm.....I don't know why, I should be a crochety old coot (or getting close to it as 40 approaches) but I am finding games today are finally reaching the spectacle and polish I've been craving. I played and enjoyed the first Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, and so forth. I had all but exhausted the gold box D&D games back in the day and Pools of Radiance still brings back fond memories as long as I don't try to bring it up on DosBox (last effort to do so was a sobering experience). The thing about games "then" was that there simply wasn't anything better except for good old paper and pencil gaming, in terms of sheer immersion. Now, at last, games like Fallout 3 and (I hope) Dragon Age (and even Borderlands) are breaking that fourth wall for me, fulfilling a desire fo a genuineley deep, beautiful experience that I could never quite "get" before, no matter how much fun BG was. And just because tiny, pixelated isometric bloodstains are so much smaller than what Dragon Age origins offers, I am most definitely not going to let that dissuade me from jumping head first in to DAO. Of course, you're right about the marketing: they know they've got the old coots in the bag, so its all the flash-bang types they need to sucker in!

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
It's not age, it's progression. As much as humans hate change and adapting it has become part of us and cannot do without. This goes the same for videogames a certain game genre may not "cut it" anymore and we yearn for something new and better.

When I was a child I was an avid fan of the RTS genre and genres involving meaningful micromanagement systems. Nowadays, at 21-years old, I yearn for a game that allows me to customise my units to do battle with likeminded players. In the thousands, no less.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Hi, my name is William and I'm old and bitter (at 27, no less).

I think I'm in Mr. Chalk's boat on this. I've been around long enough to have played Wolf3d, Doom and Quake when they were new and started playing RPGs with FF6 just in time for the PCRPG renaissance that started with Baldur's Gate. I also loved Stalker, Mirror's Edge and Mount and Blade because they dared to try something new, incomplete and flawed as they were. As someone who played Deus Ex and System Shock 2 when they were brand new, Bioshock doesn't do much for me.

As to the dragon age, I'll sum it up like this: There are going to be alot of unhappy people when all those poor saps expecting an action game find out they just bought a serious RPG.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
IO think I must have jumped the curve on this, maybe i just started with finer tastes. I like a little flash and glamor to grab my attention, but once a game gets it I'll inspect to see if it can hold up to what I want from it, Fallout(1 and 2) i didn't actually get til a couple months ago in the Trilogy pack(I'm technically a young gamer, but w/e) and I have never seen any shine to it, kind of like a good dog, yeah he's here, when your done with your dolled up chihuahua he'll be here, and I can appreciate the reliability and shamelessness of his dedication.

In fact I'm probably about to go see old dog right now.