...I've commited a horrible sin.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Forgive me father, for I have dun-goofed. I've been lured into a horrid sin by a Smite streamer. I... I... I enjoyed a dubstep song.
DON'T JUDGE ME. B-b-bonfire!

So what's this topic about? It's about something general that you hate, a genre of games/music/movie/cookies/whatever that you wouldn't touch with a solar system. Then comes a day where an exception comes and knocks you flat on your arse. Doesn't matter if it's the only exception to that genre/group. Could be about people too, but I'd refrain from being offensive to anyone in particular.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
I'd have to saw screaming music in general. I used to hate that stuff and even make fun of it but one day I heard "Clairvoyant Disease" by Avenged Sevenfold and I started listening to there first two albums and the rest is history.

It really was the gateway to the music that I listen to this day (Dillinger Escape Plan, Neurosis, Gojira, Mastodon, Opeth) and I still find myself branching out further all the time.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I Stomp on Kittens said:
I'd have to saw screaming music in general. I used to hate that stuff and even make fun of it but one day I heard "Clairvoyant Disease" by Avenged Sevenfold and I started listening to there first two albums and the rest is history.

It really was the gateway to the music that I listen to this day (Dillinger Escape Plan, Neurosis, Gojira, Mastodon, Opeth) and I still find myself branching out further all the time.
Waking the Fallen was such a good album. "Chapter Four" is still one of my favorite A7X songs.

OT: Nothing so strong as 'hatred' (I see that word everywhere, jeez), but maybe J-Pop. I never really cared about it, just like I don't really care about mainstream English pop, but then one day...

I think it was Shanicus who linked it in a thread one day, and it was an evil thing.

I can actually trace back when I started enjoying heavier music, too. I grew up with a lot of mostly alternative/contemporary music, with a splashing of mainstream pop-punk or grunge, and it wasn't until around 2005 or 2006 that I started breaking into heavier genres. It started back in 2003 with Evanescence's Fallen, then was bolstered in 2004 with Sum 41's album Chuck, and then Bullet For My Valentine came out with The Poison.

The first song I heard by them was "4 Words (To Choke Upon)".

I hadn't heard anything like it before, and, well, I wanted more.

It's too bad that Temper Temper is so utterly forgettable...

EDIT: Actually, the same thing happened with anime a few months back. I'd never really watched anything more than Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Dragonball Z while I was growing up, so I didn't really care to watch anime until one day when I started reading the visual novel Steins;Gate. I found out there was an anime adaptation of it and got curious, and since watching it I've also watched Cowboy Bebop, Persona 4: The Animation, Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo, Baccano!, Afro Samurai, Serial Experiments Lain, Black Rock Shooter, and Deadman Wonderland. So... yeah.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Waking the Fallen was such a good album. "Chapter Four" is still one of my favorite A7X songs.
For me it's City of Evil and Blinded in Chains in particular. Thanks to NFS: Most Wanted for leading me to A7X. Also, now I finally know where your wacky profile pics come from.

OT: I think for me it would be Game of Thrones TV series. It's not like I hated it, but I was rather pessimistic about it. Oh, fantasy medieval kingdom. That's cool. There's sex? Wow, real mature. But then I just decided to check first episode out of pure boredom, and holy shit did it blow me away! My favorite TV series up to this day.
Also, JRPGs. The first and only association that I had with JRPG were Final Fantasy series, with convoluted plot, whiny characters and horrible designs. But then, I've accidentally downloaded Persona 3: Portable on my PSP (I had moded (read pirated) PSP at that time, so it happens)... Although, I still can't say that I really love JRPGs or that I'm familiar with them (the only JRPGs I've played up to date are Persona 3, 4 and Atelier Totori).

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Queen Michael said:
shrekfan246 said:
That
was the best thing
in the history of things
Isn't it just? :D

I couldn't stop watching it when I first saw it.

IllumInaTIma said:
shrekfan246 said:
For me it's City of Evil and Blinded in Chains in particular. Thanks to NFS: Most Wanted for leading me to A7X.
I think City of Evil is a better album from a technical standpoint, but I like the compositions on Waking the Fallen more. I haven't listened to Nightmare but I didn't really like their eponymous album all that much... felt like they were taking too many steps backwards while simultaneously trying to extend their reach further beyond City of Evil.

Also, now I finally know where your wacky profile pics come from.
I don't know what you're talking about. >.>

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I used to hate screaming in music, I thought that it was a plague on metal and the very mention of screamo was an insult in and of itself. One day I then started to listen to harder music such as All that remains and that lead to the music I listen to now. Since that time I've come to love screaming and have delved as deep as deathcore where I once would never tread since I just hated it.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I used to hate country music, but I realized that I only disliked the BS that they put on the radio.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I Stomp on Kittens said:
Personally, Opeth was my gateway band for growling/screaming vocals and extreme metal. Mikael Akerfelt is one of the best Growlers I've listened to, which was why I grew to love growling.

OT: Pretty much the only Rap I listen to is immortal technique because he's an excellent story-teller and lyricist.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Cypress Hill, motherfuckers. Normally I won't touch rap but Cypress Hill are so damn awesome, I just can't help bobbing along. And one I never like to admit is Nickelback, come on don't look at me like that, they've got at least five songs that aren't total shit.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
IllumInaTIma said:
shrekfan246 said:
For me it's City of Evil and Blinded in Chains in particular. Thanks to NFS: Most Wanted for leading me to A7X. Also, now I finally know where your wacky profile pics come from.
How can you guys forget about Sidewinder? A 2 minute long acoustic solo? <3

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Death metal.
The metal forum I used to hang around on was FULL of black/death/doom elitists fans who always posted the most(at that point in my listening career) awful crap.

Then I heard this.
[youtubeckNZFZQ2-sk]

And just like that, I got it. (at least for death metal bands anyway)

After that it was mostly all downhill from there. I could listen to things that I hated before and somehow see and hear things I couldn't perceive before.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I think City of Evil is a better album from a technical standpoint, but I like the compositions on Waking the Fallen more. I haven't listened to Nightmare but I didn't really like their eponymous album all that much... felt like they were taking too many steps backwards while simultaneously trying to extend their reach further beyond City of Evil.
Walking the Fallen is great, probably my favorite hardcore album of all time, but City of Evil is the uncontested king. Top 5 favorite albums of all time. The long songs on the second half; Sidewinder; MIA; Strength of the World; The Wicked End, those just hit the right spot for me. Nightmare is a step more towards City of Evil than self-titled, btw. Buried Alive, So Far Away and Save Me are recommended listening!

shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, Temper Temper seems like compilation of songs that didn't make it to their last albums.. The Poison and Scream Aim Fire were great and Fever was pretty good, but Temper Temper don't have a single interesting song, except the Tears Don't Fall-rehash.. Riot, for example, sounds like Godsmack, only less catchy..

Total LOLige said:
And one I never like to admit is Nickelback, come on don't look at me like that, they've got at least five songs that aren't total shit.
The thing with Nickelback, is that all their songs are super clean and catchy, while still having some (by mainstream standards) aggressive riffing. You like it, all whilst getting an unresistable urge to hate it. Also, while been pretty creepy, their vocalist does have a pretty decent voice.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The closest I can think of is that I used to hate rap but right now I'm posting from the studio where I've been recording it for about 15 of the last 24 hours.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
I hate rap. Can not stand it. Then Rooster Teeth started putting raps in some of their videos and I loved those. Also really enjoy chap hop from the likes of Professor Elemental and Mr. B the Gentleman Rhymer.

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
Anathrax said:
a Smite streamer.
Found the real sin right there.

On topic though, I dislike scream metal. Then I decided to go to a friend's concert, and his band did a few songs like that. All I can say is that they were either way better than anything I had heard before, or the genre is one that is made for concerts.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
MrWunderful said:
IllumInaTIma said:
shrekfan246 said:
How can you guys forget about Sidewinder? A 2 minute long acoustic solo? <3
Well, and "Desecrate Through Reverence", "M.I.A.", "Trashed and Scattered", "And All Things Will End"... they've got a lot of really good songs, to be honest.

Edguy said:
shrekfan246 said:
Walking the Fallen is great, probably my favorite hardcore album of all time, but City of Evil is the uncontested king. Top 5 favorite albums of all time. The long songs on the second half; Sidewinder; MIA; Strength of the World; The Wicked End, those just hit the right spot for me. Nightmare is a step more towards City of Evil than self-titled, btw. Buried Alive, So Far Away and Save Me are recommended listening!
First of all, dat avatar.

There's something about how much simpler Waking the Fallen feels compared to City of Evil that makes me like it a little bit more.

If I had to get really analytical about it, I'd say that I put "Chapter Four", "Remenissions", and "Desecrate Through Reverence" at the top of their songs that I've listened to, then City of Evil sans "Seize the Day", then the rest of Waking the Fallen, "Seize the Day", then Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (mostly because I don't particularly like the actual final production quality on the album), and Avenged Sevenfold.

Also, I'll give those a listen.

shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, Temper Temper seems like compilation of songs that didn't make it to their last albums.. The Poison and Scream Aim Fire were great and Fever was pretty good, but Temper Temper don't have a single interesting song, except the Tears Don't Fall-rehash.. Riot, for example, sounds like Godsmack, only less catchy..
I think the "Tears Don't Fall" rehash actually highlights what the biggest problem with Temper Temper was in the first place -- Like you say, there weren't any catchy or interesting songs. None of them had interesting or hard-hitting riffs, none of the solos sounded inspired, even "Tears" just dragged on far longer than it really needed to. Those guitarists have a lot of talent, but it just seems completely squandered on that album.

Total LOLige said:
And one I never like to admit is Nickelback, come on don't look at me like that, they've got at least five songs that aren't total shit.
The thing with Nickelback, is that all their songs are super clean and catchy, while still having some (by mainstream standards) aggressive riffing. You like it, all whilst getting an unresistable urge to hate it. Also, while been pretty creepy, their vocalist does have a pretty decent voice.
I know that part wasn't aimed at me, but I'm egocentric enough to chime in anyway. Personally my only real issue with Nickelback is the actual lyrical content of most of their songs... well, most of their songs, actually. All of the ones that make it big on the radio seem to just be talking about sex in some manner, and I'm not generally a fan of songs with that as a lyrical focus. I genuinely think "How You Remind Me" and "Too Bad" are great songs, but they were also made over a decade ago...

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
First of all, dat avatar.
I'm having some problems uploading an avatar right now, was trying different image files at random xD
shrekfan246 said:
If I had to get really analytical about it, I'd say that I put "Chapter Four", "Remenissions", and "Desecrate Through Reverence" at the top of their songs that I've listened to, then City of Evil sans "Seize the Day", then the rest of Waking the Fallen, "Seize the Day", then Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (mostly because I don't particularly like the actual final production quality on the album), and Avenged Sevenfold.

Also, I'll give those a listen.
Actually, if you don't like Seize the Day, then So Far Away will probably not be for you. They're pretty similar. Second Hearbeat is my uncontested favorite off of WtF, but Remenissions, IWSYT1/2, Chapter Four and AATWE are amazing as well!