I've got a hankering for a good PC RPG; can you recommend one?

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I'm currently looking at getting the witcher 2 but I can't really decide. Would you guys recommend it? Are there other good RPGs you might recommend?

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
God said:
diablo II or diablo 1. loveing 2 over here.
LOL he said RPG...

Go try Baldurs gate 1/2, neverwinter nights 1/2 basically anything created by obsidian and Bioware 4 years ago.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
God said:
Yeah, I've got Diablo 2. I like it but I got tired of it after awhile.

mrhateful said:
God said:
LOL he said RPG...

Go try Baldurs gate 1/2, neverwinter nights 1/2 basically anything created by obsidian and Bioware 4 years ago.
Thanks but I've already played most of those.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Saladfork said:
I'm currently looking at getting the witcher 2 but I can't really decide. Would you guys recommend it? Are there other good RPGs you might recommend?
Get it, it's great. If you haven't played the first one, don't worry, you'll get caught up pretty quickly.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Yeah apparently the Witcher 2 is really really good.
Good PC RPG's? I hear the Dark Souls PC port is excellent. Like properly good.
[sub][sub]cough...[/sub][/sub].
Nah if you're not willing to install all the necessary mods...and probably hook up a controller...give it a miss.

I think W2 is your best bet though for sure.
Maybe the Elder Scrolls series if you haven't played them already? Obvious, I know, but you never know xD.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
distortedreality said:
Saladfork said:
Get it, it's great. If you haven't played the first one, don't worry, you'll get caught up pretty quickly.
I haven't. Does it sum up the plot of the first one? Or does it just not come up much?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Drakensang: The Dark Eye and its sequel, The River of Time, are two great recent and criminally overlooked PnP-based PC RPGs.

Sep 14, 2009
Saladfork said:
definitely worth getting if you liked bioware/obsidian games, it has a great narritive for the most part with great balance on action and rpg (alot of games do too much of one or the other.)

don't worry about needing to know things from the first game, it catches you up quickly, however if you do end up loving the 2nd game, i would recommend getting the first game just to really get into it (note: it is MUCH MUCH different when it comes to combat and a few other things though, so don't buy it without checking into it first)

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Saladfork said:
definitely worth getting if you liked bioware/obsidian games, it has a great narritive for the most part with great balance on action and rpg (alot of games do too much of one or the other.)

don't worry about needing to know things from the first game, it catches you up quickly, however if you do end up loving the 2nd game, i would recommend getting the first game just to really get into it (note: it is MUCH MUCH different when it comes to combat and a few other things though, so don't buy it without checking into it first)
I see. Thanks mate, I think I'll get it then.

Sep 14, 2009
Saladfork said:
gmaverick019 said:
Saladfork said:

not sure if you bought it yet, but here is a good price (I see your from Canada, so I don't know if this will work for you or not, or if you have to look up a different amazon domain)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Pc/dp/B003VJNPPE

but I THINK (not positive) you can use your product key and register it through GoG, so you can always just digitally download it/have it attached to your account in case your physical copy gets messed up.

also pro tip, don't buy the enhanced edition, they give you the update for free in the software update(unless i'm mistaken, I got it for free on pc)

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Saladfork said:
gmaverick019 said:
Saladfork said:

not sure if you bought it yet, but here is a good price (I see your from Canada, so I don't know if this will work for you or not, or if you have to look up a different amazon domain)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Pc/dp/B003VJNPPE

but I THINK (not positive) you can use your product key and register it through GoG, so you can always just digitally download it/have it attached to your account in case your physical copy gets messed up.

also pro tip, don't buy the enhanced edition, they give you the update for free in the software update(unless i'm mistaken, I got it for free on pc)
I got it on steam, but thanks. Now I'm waiting for it to download.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
I thought it was free if you had the game already when the EE came out. I could easily be wrong, though

OT: Bloodlines and pretty much anything under "role-playing" on GOG. Or if you want a better recommendation, just look up some of the GOG mixes - you can probably find half a dozen about "greatest RPGs" and similar.

Sep 14, 2009
DoPo said:
gmaverick019 said:
I thought it was free if you had the game already when the EE came out. I could easily be wrong, though

OT: Bloodlines and pretty much anything under "role-playing" on GOG. Or if you want a better recommendation, just look up some of the GOG mixes - you can probably find half a dozen about "greatest RPGs" and similar.
you might be right..i'm not quite sure, as i don't know/haven't seen anyone buy the regular version since before the update, can the system even tell? (say you bought the physical copy, then had a system crash so you re-installed it after wiping your hard drive, how would it know specifically if you had it before then?)

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Olikar said:
mrhateful said:
Olikar said:
mrhateful said:
God said:
LOL he said RPG...
Diablo is an RPG you dolt.
Action RPG =/= RPG.
You can't be this retarded, it's just not possible. ARPGs are a sub genre of RPGs, saying they're not RPGS would be like say JRPGS aren't RPGs.
okay now its just getting sad, just because both of those genre has part of the name doesn't make it a sub genre. When people say rpg and mention witcher 2 i assume he means western rpg. and diablo doesn't fit that.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
DoPo said:
gmaverick019 said:

you might be right..i'm not quite sure, as i don't know/haven't seen anyone buy the regular version since before the update, can the system even tell? (say you bought the physical copy, then had a system crash so you re-installed it after wiping your hard drive, how would it know specifically if you had it before then?)
I don't really know, as I said, I might be wrong. It's just the impression I was left with from around the time the EE came out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, this thread got off to a flying start.
If you got a good PC and a controller go get Dark Souls.

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
mrhateful said:
When people say rpg
okay now its just getting sad, just because both of those genre has part of the name doesn't make it a sub genre.
No but the fact most people define Action RPGs as a sub genre of RPGs and that ARPGs meet most of the criteria of being a RPG should be a pretty big clue.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I've only ever played the demo, but I'd recommend Kingdoms of Amalur based on two factors: demo was OK, it's on sale at this very moment on Green Man Gaming for like $10.