I've never understood the dislike for Origin

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Only recently got it myself, so I didn't experience it when it launched. I find it relatively comparable to Steam, but obviously the game content is lacking because I'll grab something on Steam before anything else.

I find the download speed is worse for me, Steam downloads faster.
However Origin beats out Steam in one aspect - listed prices are in Australian dollars. When I pay $40 for Battlefront, I'm actually paying $40. Not the conversion from $40 USD that Steam makes me pay. So, yeah. Get your shit on that, Steam.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
When Origin launched (around the time of BF3 if I recall) it was very barebones, buggy, slow, and offered nothing new while having a fraction of the utility of Steam.

It is much better now. Not perfect but a vast improvement over its original iteration. I still prefer Steam but features like live customer support make me appreciate Origin for what it is.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's not that I dislike it, it's that it's inconvenient for me not to run all my games out of one platform. Battlenet gets a pass because I've had that since Frozen Throne.

On the other hand, I WANT Origin and others like it to do well so that Valve has some competition. They've really gone down hill in the past few years, so I'm hoping they start to feel the push from platforms so that they might introduce some quality control over Greenlight and Early Access.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
EA is responsible for the deaths of trusted studios and whatever the fuck that thing that used to be BioWare is. That's enough for me to be nervous about touching their shit, even with a pole so long it has to be designed to compensate for the curvature of the earth.

That being said, from my experience Origin customer service is ACTUALLY fucking helpful when you need them, so there's that.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Lykosia said:
What I don't understand is why so many PC gamers still worship Valve and Steam. PC has always been an open platform, but it seems that many would like to give up this and give all control over to Valve. I want Origin, GOG, Uplay and all the other DD stores to succeed so that Valve won't get full monopoly and control of PC gaming. That would be the death of PC gaming truly.
You have my full agreement.

What I find so odd is that people complain about Microsoft wanting to control PC gaming and remove the openness of the platform but are willing to hand that same level of control over to Valve.

Valve aren't the consumer champions that people imagine them to be. They are a company out to bilk our wallets just like everyone else.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
nomotog said:
Only EA puts their games on it.
And Ubisoft, Capcom, Deep Silver, CD Projekt etc.

Origin isn't just limited to EA games.

I wonder why no-one is asking why Valve don't put their games on Origin?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
votemarvel said:
nomotog said:
Only EA puts their games on it.
And Ubisoft, Capcom, Deep Silver, CD Projekt etc.

Origin isn't just limited to EA games.

I wonder why no-one is asking why Valve don't put their games on Origin?
Oh I never noticed more games being put there. I tend not to look at it often because I am not expecting to see new games there. Just browsing through now and and the front page it all EA though. I don't think it's a neutral platform. It's also really hard to browse and find something new. Steam shows me tons of games it things I will like (It tends to be right a lot too.) Origin shows me EA games. (I also hate the lack of good bundles. Let me buy all the sims3 EP in one reasonable priced bundle and I will start using origin if just for that.)

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I don't mind it. Obviously there aren't a lot of games on it I care for outside of Bioware games, but I like the free game deals, and I li8ke that it isn't as cluttered as Steam.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
People didn't start liking Steam for "some unknown reason". The reasons are pretty clear. They gave us cheap games, made PC gaming a bit more convenient, and just constantly threw good shit at us.
Except not really.
Retail has always been cheaper, and has had better sales, at least where I live. Take the launch day of most any game, and it would be 30DKK to 50DKK(4? to 6.7?) cheaper.
In recent years, however, retail stocking/sales of PC games has all but died out here, due to, in my opinion, the popularity/enforcement of steam.
Don't know what's so convenient about having to ask permission from a "service" every time you want to install or play your games, as opposed to just popping a DVD in the drive or clicking the game icon on the desktop.
Never cared about the rest of the shit they offered. There's always been better alternatives elsewhere, for those who are aware of the world outside of steam.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Tayh said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
I mean, it's not exactly digital syphyllis, but no-one asked for it, no-one wanted it, and no-one likes being made to use it.
Could say the same for steam, except that's widely loved because of... Reasons.

As for the hate on Origin, I think most of it stems from not being steam/valve, which is like the biggest DRM offense you can commit in the game publishing sphere.
And yet less people hate blizzard's battle.net. In all discussions of diablo 3 and starcraft 2 i've never seen people say they hate it.So I guess you're wrong and guided more on feelings on this one.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Lykosia said:
What I don't understand is why so many PC gamers still worship Valve and Steam. PC has always been an open platform, but it seems that many would like to give up this and give all control over to Valve. I want Origin, GOG, Uplay and all the other DD stores to succeed so that Valve won't get full monopoly and control of PC gaming. That would be the death of PC gaming truly.
People love Valve because they made really good games, like Half-Life and Portal. Made is the key word. Modern Valve is shitty, lazy and money-grabbing. They're arguably even worse than EA because at least EA still publish games that people want, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Origin is actually pretty good, aside from the lack of games and user reviews for said games. It must be said that I've had far less drama with Origin than with Steam, though that may be because I've been forced into using the latter more.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Tayh said:
Not using steam, that's actually one of my biggest beefs with steam at the moment.
Not only do valve want monopoly on games, now they're trying to encroach on modding territory as well.
At least nexusmods.com still exists and provides free, unrestricted mods, but let's see how long that continues if valve keeps gating mods behind their drm-wall.
How are they monopolising mods? Anyone can mod a game. The workshop just makes it easier.

Tayh said:
Except not really.
Retail has always been cheaper, and has had better sales, at least where I live. Take the launch day of most any game, and it would be 30DKK to 50DKK(4? to 6.7?) cheaper.
In recent years, however, retail stocking/sales of PC games has all but died out here, due to, in my opinion, the popularity/enforcement of steam.
Don't know what's so convenient about having to ask permission from a "service" every time you want to install or play your games, as opposed to just popping a DVD in the drive or clicking the game icon on the desktop.
Never cared about the rest of the shit they offered. There's always been better alternatives elsewhere, for those who are aware of the world outside of steam.
Steam edged out the retail market the same way every other digital distribution client has - by providing a better, cheaper, and more convenient way to buy games. You can't tell me the retail situation [https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/30] was any more ethical. And as for the price, I live in Australia, so... [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax]

And why are you putting service in scare quotes? Do you just disagree with digital distribution in general? Because...that's freaking crazy talk, man. The only situation where having a physical copy of a game makes more sense than digital is if you live somewhere with no internet.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Lykosia said:
Because, for all that "master race" talk, gamers love the commodities that come with a unified front. PC gaming grew back the moment it took notes from the console world. 99% of gamers don't want to care about different clients, keeping up to date with drivers, juggling graphic settings, keeping different programs around for stuff like voice chat, or making sure they have the right controller to make their weird joystick work acceptably. Once you enable big picture, their PC could be simply an upgradable console for all they care about...

People worship Valve because they provided a unified front for gaming, either by being the first or the de facto standard. A single store that includes almost everything, a single friend list, a single launcher for the installed games, a single entry point for downloading updates, patches or even mods (people here praise Steam Workshop, even when it includes a fraction of the mods up there, for a fraction of the games and with a fraction of the features; but it is a way to get mods for people that don't want to deal with hassles like even reading the game actual files). People hate other services because they force them to run "yet another thing".

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Paragon Fury said:
I mean, I get people were wary of it being from EA...but after all these years, I don't see why it has stuck around.

It started the whole "Super nice demos and refunds" trends among the big distribution platforms. It gives monthly free game time and demos for games, and now just gives out games for free frequently. It's chat interface is just as good as it's competitor's, and the UI, market and layout is just fine and works just as well as Steam's.

It doesn't cause any performance issues, and as far as download service goes I've actually found Origin to be the superior service, often downloading a game of equal size 2x-3x faster than Steam will.

The only things Steam has is the larger library (because it has been around longer and doesn't exclusively serve one company) and things like Voice Chat/Streaming...which as EA has pointed out make little sense for them to include in Origin because by far and wide PC users prefer to use outside sources for those things.

But mention Origin and people still look and act like you just shat on their desk.
Origin launched with a clause that basically said "by installing Origin, you give EA permission to read, modify and delete anything they want in your PC". I think it's easy to understand why people weren't too happy about it.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Anything from EA is evil and must be treated like it transmits the pox.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I guess I'll be the one to point out the elephant in the room: they chose to call it "Origin". If you don't understand why this is a problem, don a helmet and ask a Wing Commander fan. If that doesn't clear it up, don some battle armor and ask an Ultima fan.