J.J. Abrams Confirms Half-Life Movie, Teases Official Portal Film Announcement

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Frezzato said:
Saelune said:
J.J. Abrams can suck a fat one.

He turned Original Star Trek into an action series.
He removed alot of the deeper nuances of the space opera that is Star Wars for more explosions. I swear if the Death Star didnt blow up in A New Hope, J.J. wouldnt have liked Star Wars.

He is just a nerdier Michael Bay and needs to be stopped.

I cant even imagine how a -good- Portal movie would work.
Agreed. That's another +1 to you.

-

A very secluded part of my brain is wishing and hoping that one if not both of those movies will manage to have a completely silent protagonist. Hell, the first 30 minutes or so of WALL-E pulled it off.
Its fun when people agree with me. I am pleasantly surprised too, since I thought this was a more controversial (as far as nerd interests go anyways) opinion of mine.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Jesus wept, there are few Holy Grails in gaming, but I would consider Half-Life to be one of them, and I think it should remain untouched. If Valve wanted to make say a 45 minutes cinematic to wrap up the HL2-E2 story then I'd be all for that. But a massive cinematic experience, no thank you, choose something else. Anything else (other than Mass Effect) and just let Half Life be for games.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
The same goes for Portal, and that has the problem of there being only 1 or 2 other characters.
In a film called Buried, one man is stuck inside a coffin, buried alive, and trying to get out. The only other character is the voice that answers on the cellphone. The entirety of the movie is confined to the coffin, and no other character is seen. IMO it's one of the better movies ever created.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm gonna call it now: These movies will most likely suck. How do you make a movie out of a game like Half-Life, where the Silent Protagonist is going through very similar looking halls in an Underground Science Facility fighting Aliens and Army men? Short answer is, you don't, unless you dramatically change it from the source material. The same goes for Portal, and that has the problem of there being only 1 or 2 other characters.
They already did. It was called Hardcore Henry (as Bedinsis pointed out). It was OK.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm gonna call it now: These movies will most likely suck. How do you make a movie out of a game like Half-Life, where the Silent Protagonist is going through very similar looking halls in an Underground Science Facility fighting Aliens and Army men? Short answer is, you don't, unless you dramatically change it from the source material.
Well. For someone who seems to know very little of the 'source material' in question, you're making quite the prediction of what will and won't work.

But please, do go on.

The same goes for Portal, and that has the problem of there being only 1 or 2 other characters.
See above.

Also: Since when does the quality of a story or film equate to the number of characters it has? That's a very odd metric. In fact, by that metric, the latest Transformers movie and Batman V Superman are cinematic masterpieces.