J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
spartandude said:
Now Abrams isnt bad, hes just not very good.
So what you're saying is that things should improve over the last director? (ba dum tish)

He wouldn't be my first choice, but in the absence of Guillermo del Toro, he'll do. I'm more concerned about the script, to tell the truth.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
It's clear we have quite a few Moviebob fans in here.

JJ Abrams is a great choice. The Star Trek movie was decent, and I can think of no one better to direct a new Star Wars franchise.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm kinda mixed on this. He was involved with some stuff I like (Person if Interest, Fringe), but also some shows I thought were not very good (Revolution) or outright bad (Lost). What concerns me more is that I found his Star Trek reboot to be mediocre at best and outright terrible at times (for reasons unrelated to the original movies; it sucked on its own merit).

All in all, I'm not too thrilled about this. He's a TV guy, not a movie guy. Plenty of people who are more qualified for the job. I'm not going to go all "DO NOT WANT!!!" like many people in this thread, but I'm starting to become slightly pessimistic about this whole Star Wars sequel thing...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
spartandude said:
Now Abrams isnt bad, hes just not very good. i guess i enjoyed Star Trek (not mind blowing but fun to watch) but there so many better people like Kenneth Branagh (directed Thor) or Matthew Vaughn (X men First Class) who was rumoured to be it.

MrBaskerville said:
Atleast it´s only Star Wars VII and not VIII and IX.
Ive got some bad news for you
Aww hamburgers :(

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I really hope this isn't the case and that this is just rumor bs. The best two Star Wars movies were about characters living in turbulent times within their universe. J.J. Abrams is a spectacle man, much like Spielberg who was also rumored to possibly helm this, and a poor choice for reviving this franchise. I've seen Super 8, and while the characters were believable they lacked something that made them memorable, he was very much aping The Goonies. I guess I can't be surprised or disappointed, I think all of those reactions went dry after Attack of the Clones.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I like J.J. Abrams. I think he can do a good job. But my opinion may not count for much because I also fuckin' love LENS FLARES! I do, seriously.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
floppylobster said:
SkarKrow said:
valium said:
Am I the only person on this site who likes Abrams movies?
I really enjoyed the star trek reboot, sat down my my good friend with a beer and watched it. Was a damn fine movie.

And Zachary Quinto was in it.
What, do you have a crush on him? That's no reason to like a bland action movie masquerading as sci-fi.
I did at the time being a dumb teenager, but he's a pretty good actor, he was great in Heroes.

I honestly just enjoyed the movie, it wasn't anything amazing but it was entertaining and very watchable. I haven't seen the original star trek films and I probably never will, since I'm not big on movies and I very rarely watch them, it's only on rare occasions that I go and rent a film.

I prefer to play games or watch anime, things like that.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I really loved the new Star Trek film and can't wait for the next one, so this is great news to me. I think he's a great director. And guys, lens flare? That's the big complaint you all have? It's SCI-FI!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Oh well, maybe we'll finally see Star Wars Characters with a personality again after more than 30 years of waiting.
And maybe even villains with a motivation, that would be novel.

vortalism

Dec 15, 2011
Even though I don't have as much of an aversion to J.J. Abrams despite the fact that he has a bit of an unhealthy fascination with lens flare, I was disappointed that they didn't chose a newer and more upcoming director to lead Star Wars into a new direction, primarily somebody who doesn't do Sci-Fi or even Action films. Actually the thought of Ben Affleck directing a Star Wars film would intrigue me beyond imagination.. Hm..

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
Christ, you're right. Still, I think Star Wars (The original series) might have suffered from a few issues like this too.

For example, most of the points brought up in HISHE. Why was there sound in space?

But yeah, from what I just read, especially the black hole right by Earth, the reboot was pretty stupid.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I was hoping along with a lot of people that Disney would take interesting risks with Star Wars. They've basically found the most similar living director to George Lucas so the next films will just be remixes off all the old films. I suppose it doesn't matter either way. I was never a hardcore fan so if the result isn't that good I might just ignore it.

If Disney follows this pattern, they might hire 22 Cans to make a Star Wars videogame, which if nothing else might be funny.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I for one liked the Star Trek reboot

Compare it to the three prequel episodes. With the star trek reboot there's no point where you'd bored, or wondering what's going on...

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Magichead said:
As a fan of both franchises, people who like 'Wars aren't dismayed at the prospect of JJ "Directing? What's that? MOAR LENSFLAREZ!" Abrams because he also directed 'Trek, they're dismayed because he directed 'Trek badly.
Considering that the film franchise before '09 was 60% bad, the whole franchise was killed by two bad shows and two bad films, I refuse to believe that he defiled sacred ground.

Trust me, Rick Berman saw to killing Star Trek long before Abrams ever got near it.

OT: Well I thought his handling of Star Trek could be better, but I'm waiting for Darkness to make my judgement on this.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cool.

Star Trek was fucking great.

... What's that? We're all complaining? Oh, OK then.