J.K. Rowling Signs Publishing Contract for New, Adult-Targeted Book

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen people use 'Their kid's books' to defend the quality of Harry Potter. Let's hope she can actualy do better than mediocre this time because that excuse will not work this time.
And the fact that they are actually kid's books doesn't click with you? Because they're kid's books. Kid books that adults can enjoy, but still books for children.

And hell, the best selling series of all time sort of means that she did something right

OT: Interesting. I honestly thought she was just gonna call it quits. Though it's pretty much guaranteed to sell by the gazillions, so why the fuck not?

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Glad to see she's still catering to her original fanbase.
Cause we're all grown up now to.
I really, really, hate when developers or authors start using this as an excuse to take a previous series or beloved material and turn it into an adult "sex and gore" route. Not that I expect her to do that, but I've seen it done so often, and people march out the "well, come on the fans are getting older, too" remark.

I'm actually trying to think of a good example, but I see I've apparently done a good job at trying to wipe them from my memory cause I can't come up with one off the top of my head.

I just know whenever I hear someone say "we want to acknowledge that our fan base has grown up", it makes me cringe and shudder with foreboding woes. It might've been Final Fantasy, or maybe it was Metroid, or something else.

Gods, you wanna forget something, but when you go to try and recall a name, it's on the tip of your tongue and it just drives you nuts.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'm just glad to see she didn't "pull a Lucas" and whore out the Harry Potter series for more money. Say what you will about her ability as an author (which I say is pretty spectacular), the womans got dignity.

Plus, going after adults is smart seeing as her Harry Potter fans are all growed up now.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Never was a Harry Potter fan, but this has got me interested. Best of luck to her.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
well this is interesting, at least she's trying something new, I always found that her ability to tell a story was great but her ability to create characters was, let's say "lacking"

EDIT: I take it back she can create characters with the best of them, I meant to say "develop" characterisation is where I always thought she needed work

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm surprised she had to switch publishers for this. ANY book by Rowling will be a highly-anticipated title, good or not. Who would want to give that up?

DVS BSTrD said:
Glad to see she's still catering to her original fanbase.
Cause we're all grown up now to.
Psssh. Speak for yourself.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
weirdguy said:
Micalas said:
Oh sweet. Is this book going to be set during Hermione's bi-curious phase?
There's already enough fanfiction of that to fill a whale.

I'm not really sure why I picked a whale to keep it in, but I feel that is where it belongs.
It's probably a sperm whale.

I don't read fanfiction and from what I read, J.K. Rowling doesn't like erotic Harry Potter fanfiction. This is official :p

CAPTCHA: oursago Ogleface. Sounds like a Harry Potter character

Jan 12, 2012
Yoshisummons said:
Why can't she create a book with a bunch of stories such as the Tale's of Three Brothers" Seriously that short story was the shit.
She wrote The Tales of Beedle the Bard for charity; it has 5 stories in it that are like the Three Brothers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tales_of_Beedle_the_Bard

OT: Harry Potter was the Star Wars of our era; it was a good series that got blown into a huge cultural phenomenon, and I think people will love it for many years. The odds of that happening again are slim, but I still think she can pen a good 'adult' book, instead of just re-writing HP with more gore and sweater-kittens.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
The only thing that seems certain at this point is that it won't be about Harry Potter, even as an adult. I guess that means we'll never get to see him grow old, get a real job, lose his hair, and complain about new-fangled technology until someone forces him into a retirement home. Oh well.
well thats what fanfiction is for. ;)

Ot; i look foward to this new book... i mean as long as it isn't a trashy romance or "realistic". Fantasy, for what it's worth, is where she made her money. And shying away from that now will read as a betrayal for many.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen people use 'Their kid's books' to defend the quality of Harry Potter. Let's hope she can actualy do better than mediocre this time because that excuse will not work this time.
And the fact that they are actually kid's books doesn't click with you? Because they're kid's books. Kid books that adults can enjoy, but still books for children.

And hell, the best selling series of all time sort of means that she did something right

OT: Interesting. I honestly thought she was just gonna call it quits. Though it's pretty much guaranteed to sell by the gazillions, so why the fuck not?
And why does the fact that it is a kids book excuse bad writing? If you enjoy Harry Potter then fine. Good for you. I just never throught that it was anything special. As a story I did not think it was bad I just did not think it was all that good either. In terms of writing I throught it waa bad.

P.S
Ron is the single most irritating character in the history of fiction.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
idarkphoenixi said:
I'm just glad to see she didn't "pull a Lucas" and whore out the Harry Potter series for more money. Say what you will about her ability as an author (which I say is pretty spectacular), the womans got dignity.

Plus, going after adults is smart seeing as her Harry Potter fans are all growed up now.
Ironically I'm the other way.

I never cared for Star Wars beyond the originals, but I was rather smitten with the HP universe.

That and Foundation by Asimov, I'm sad that both series ended (though one was because the guy died after not doing it for ages). I can't accept the son's work as legitimate sequels :p.

Gizmo1990 said:
And why does the fact that it is a kids book excuse bad writing? If you enjoy Harry Potter then fine. Good for you. I just never throught that it was anything special. As a story I did not think it was bad I just did not think it was all that good either. In terms of writing I throught it waa bad.

P.S
Ron is the single most irritating character in the history of fiction.
I actually saw a study that concluded that the quality of writing is largely subjective unless you are literally talking about the accuracy of grammar and spelling.

In the latters case you would be arguing that all the world's most famous authors were shit, in the former case nobody cares if you didn't like something, it has no impact on anyone but you.

Likewise nobody cares if you liked other things either, it just so happens that people are more receptive to positive notions and will at least give the illusion of support for your feelings.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I know nothing about the book industry but I would assume whatever she does next will automatically sell huge because of people's inherent curiosity.

That said, there's basically no way she'll ever make something as popular as Potter again (even if she tried to). Perhaps she'll prove me wrong.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshisummons said:
Why can't she create a book with a bunch of stories such as the Tale's of Three Brothers" Seriously that short story was the shit. I think she did a great job creating a good fanciful world with mechanics worthy of a good children's book. Then some cracks were showing in the later books as the story tried to take a more serious and teenage audience tone. To some that's probably really negative but, overall I have not been very impressed with any literature aimed at teenagers written by anyone so nothing personal there.

If anything I feel bad for her with all the expectations. If I was her though I'd just write "The Poop that Took a Pee" and donate the money to charity. But that's assuming the opinion of someone on the internet was actually worth 2 cents.
Are you refering to the tales of beedle the bard? if so then yes i enjoyed that more than the HP series

OT: I'm looking forward to this, it will be nice to see what else she can acheive, hopefully fans won't trash this because it's different to HP (but i don't hold much hope)

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
antipunt said:
adults...book

*immature snicker*

*runs away*
You just had to do this, didn't you. Can't blame you though, made me smile a bit.
Thanks for that.

On topic: Well I was never into Hairy Potter (haha), but I'm actually kind of interested in what she is going to do with this, but I will stay a bit skeptical...