Jack Black Cosplays Brutal Legend at MTV Awards

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jack Black Cosplays Brutal Legend at MTV Awards

Actor-musician Jack Black strapped on some ridiculous foam muscle arms in order to get into character as Brutal Legend's Eddie Riggs at last night's MTV Video Music Awards.

With Brutal Legend hitting stores next month on Rocktober 13th, the advertising machine seems to be kicking into gear - at last night's 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, Tenacious D singer and actor Jack Black showed up in costume as main character Eddie Riggs to promote the game. Black slapped on a greasy-looking wig, got into some ridiculous-looking foam muscle arms, and was happy to pose with a battle-axe, which despite the theme of the game was probably not metal.

Sure, Eddie the heavy metal roadie is probably a good deal younger than the 40-year-old Black, but he manages to pull it off - well, sort of. It's not the best cosplay job I've ever seen, but it's not awful, either. It's always nice to see celebrities get into gaming and nerding out a bit - yeah, Jack Black has a bit of a stake in Brutal Legend's success, and probably wants to do everything in his power to make sure the game sells well once it finally comes out next month after delays and lawsuits, but no one forced him to dress up like his character from the game, right?

Probably not, anyway. Though it is amusing to imagine Tim Schaefer strapping an electric collar to Jack Black's neck in order to shock him if he doesn't comply.

(Joystiq [http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/09/13/jack-black-2009-mtv-vmas/])

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I like celebrities admitting they like things like gaming. Makes them seem a little less prick like and a little more likable. (No reference to this particular celebrity)

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Only 29 more days till Rocktober 13. And only 3 more days till the demo comes out. Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!!

ACTIVISION TRIED TO STOP THE METAL!!!!
BUT THEIR CEO!!!!!!!!!!
WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
hansari said:
Didn't spongebob wear foam muscle arms once?
Yes he did, but they were inflatable rubber instead of foam and could go from regular to beefy and for the ladies...hairy.

Rocktober 13th is gonna be great. I still have to go reserve my copy.

Dr Ampersand

Jun 27, 2009
Bah soon someone will post someone cosplaying Eddie better than Jack, while someone else makes some form of innuendo about Schaefer, Jack and a shock collar. Though I like the foam arms.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You know, as much as I hate most of the roles Jack Black acts in, I still love the guy. He has a great sense of humor and good spirit.

Can't fucking wait for this game.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
All he needed was a sleeveless leather jacket. That would have made it perfect.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
That's what I like about Jack Black. He always maximizes the spirit of whatever it is that he does. I wonder if he was nominated for anything, and if they referred to him as Eddie Riggs if he won anything. Did he win anything? I don't watch MTV.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Hearing this makes me want the game so much more.
You got to love Jack Black.
CD-R said:
Only 29 more days till Rocktober 13. And only 3 more days till the demo comes out. Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!!

ACTIVISION TRIED TO STOP THE METAL!!!!
BUT THEIR CEO!!!!!!!!!!
WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't mind me asking, is the demo for ps3 as well?