Jack is Back: Samurai Jack Returns to Adult Swim

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Jack is Back: Samurai Jack Returns to Adult Swim

[youtube=yzIxLwVwtiQ
[B]Samurai Jack's story will finally get some closure following an 11-year hiatus.[/B]

Samurai Jack fans are in for some good news today - Cartoon Network has announced that a new season of the series is in production, and will air during its Adult Swim block some time in 2016. What's more, series creator Genndy Tartakovsky will be back at the helm.

Samurai Jack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/samurai%20jack?os=%20samurai%20jack] was one of those cult cartoon classics of the early 2000s, telling the story of Jack, a time-lost samurai and his quest to return to the past and defeat an unspeakable evil. It was surprisingly deep for a children's cartoon, and featured absolutely beautiful artwork and animation. Jack's tale was never fully concluded (apart from some ambiguous hints), so this new season should help give fans the closure they have been waiting for.

It is entirely possible that veteran voice actor Phil Lamar will return to voice Jack, but unfortunately Mako Iwamatsu, the voice of Jack's rival Aku, passed away in 2006.

The original show had a 52-episode run from 2001 - 2005, meaning it's been more than 10 years since we last saw Jack. Samurai Jack's return wouldn't be the first old-school cartoon to make a comeback in 2016, as we recently heard that a new Hey Arnold! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165138-New-Hey-Arnold-TV-Movie-Announced] movie was currently in production.

We'll have more details on the show when they become available.

Source: Cartoon Network [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIxLwVwtiQ]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FOOLISH SAMURAI!!

*Sigh*

I miss Mako... But the show must go on!

Bring it on, you!

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Finally, a reason to watch TV again. So very glad it's got the original creator behind it too.

Although if the Scotsman isn't back too I will be very disappointed.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
With it being on Adult Swim I wonder if they are going to change anything or if it will stay the same.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well it's about damn time! Let's hope they can finally end the story in a satisfying way... (knocks on wood)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Man. This is heartening news. Samurai Jack was a great show. Some of my favorite episodes were the ones that followed villains, and Jack barely appeared in. Like the episode that followed a group of Bounty Hunters trying to catch Jack.

The show also knew how to tell a story in a visual medium. People constantly repeat the mantra of "Show, don't tell" these days. Well, Samurai Jack could do just that. And it did it better than any other show. I heard a critic on Channel Awesome say that you could watch one episode of Samurai Jack and learn more about telling a story in a visual medium than in an entire course of film production. I tend to agree. Entire episodes went by with Jack barely speaking, or not speaking at all. But he often didn't need to.

Oh, and the series has great action and everything else a good show needs. I only hope they can live up to the original series.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I was actually gonna rewatch all episodes a while back, this coincidence makes for a good excuse.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Reads he article

Screams and tears off shirt

Runs through the streets announcing the good news

A mob is born

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
The hype is real!

It is time to end this story and pierce Akus heart. Get to the past, Samurai Jack.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Yes..

YES!!!!

this is good news. I don't let myself fall for hype to often, but damn it, I loved the hell out of that show and knowing they pulling a veteran from the show to direct is good enough to get the hype going for me. Sad they can't have Mako voice Aku again, but I have hope they will still do the show justice.

...hope. I've not felt that for so long...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, that's really cool. I hope this is a continuing trend, I'd like to see Megas XLR make a comeback. I feel like Clancy Brown would be a good Aku, but at the same time, I feel like his voice is too powerful for the role.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
I never got what people liked about this show.
Aside from the action, which is fantastic in its own right, and the choreography, which is also very good for a cartoon, I think one of the great appeals was its atmosphere and its use of "show, don't tell." Some of its best moments happened with no voice acting whatsoever. Even further come a lot of preferential reasons like the art style (which makes effective use of leaving out black outlines), the music, the voice acting, the story/setting, etc.

I think a large reason, also, is the fact that it had copious amounts of "gore" for a kid's show, except that the "gore" was almost always electronic guts or bug guts spewing everywhere.

tl;dr: Shit's cool, yo.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Very skeptical about, I haven't seen a single reboot/remake of anything that didn't end up flat out terrible. Samurai Jack worked so well due to its simplicity. Furthermore, the creator is probably going to be VERY limited by the halfwit producers who, in their stupidity, will make just about every wrong decision possible.

I wish I end up as wrong as possible though, but pop culture has been beyond terrible in recent years

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Bat Vader said:
With it being on Adult Swim I wonder if they are going to change anything or if it will stay the same.
One of the things I could see happening is Jack actually killing living enemies. In the old show, everything he fought and chopped up usually turned out to be a robot, no matter how organic looking they may have seemed.

I think the closest they came to show him actually killing was in this segment:

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
If it's really being done by Tartakovsky, then I'm going to go with "cautiously optimistic". I'm not a big fan of reboots and such, but if the original author is at the helm, it might turn out fine.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Jandau said:
If it's really being done by Tartakovsky, then I'm going to go with "cautiously optimistic". I'm not a big fan of reboots and such, but if the original author is at the helm, it might turn out fine.
It's confirmed in the article:
Steven Bogos said:
What's more, series creator Genndy Tartakovsky will be back at the helm.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Product Placement said:
Jandau said:
It's confirmed in the article:
Steven Bogos said:
What's more, series creator Genndy Tartakovsky will be back at the helm.
I know what the article says. I meant if it really turns out that way. Perhaps his involvement won't be so close, perhaps he won't be allowed to do his thing, perhaps he'll end up dropping out entirely but the project will still go on. Basically, all I said was that I'm optimistic if things go forward as the article states (which isn't a sure thing).

But thank you for assuming I simply can't read.