Jack Kirby Heirs Send Notices of Copyright Termination to Marvel, Disney

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Jack Kirby Heirs Send Notices of Copyright Termination to Marvel, Disney

Heirs of the late Marvel artist and creator Jack Kirby have determined that it is copyright clobberin' time.

Jacob Kurtzberg (1917-1994), also known by his pen name of Jack Kirby, was a legendary figure within the early days of Marvel Comics (even before it was called Marvel Comics). He co-created some of the biggest names in the comic book industry of all time, including Captain America, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and the Hulk, many of which have become mega-million dollar properties. Understandably, Jack Kirby's heirs now want a piece of the pie, and have sent 45 notices of copyright termination to Disney, Marvel, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Universal Pictures, and other companies in what appear to be attempts to regain these rights for themselves.

When I say "appear," it's because copyright law is the most complicated structure of all time, at least to me. Nevertheless, I can pretty much understand that Kirby's heirs want to get their hands on some dough, and who wouldn't? Now seems like a good time to serve these notices, as maybe Marvel or Disney would be more likely to negotiate in light of the recent deal in progress for Disney to purchase Marvel Entertainment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94313-Disney-to-Buy-Marvel-Comics], which still has not been finalized. The timing doesn't seem likely to be a coincidence, for whatever reason.

Kirby's heirs are being represented by Toberoff & Associates, the same firm that represented the Siegel estate in a copyright claim surrounding Superman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93906-DC-Comics-Lose-Another-Piece-of-Superman]. That case saw the rights to Superman's original story revert to the co-creator of Superman Jerry Siegel's heirs, which makes me think that the Kirby heirs have a good chance here to gain something as well.

But, there will be a few years before anything does revert, as the earliest notices of termination would take effect in 2014. Disney issued a statement on the issue, saying that: "The notices involved are an attempt to terminate rights 7 to 10 years from now, and involve claims that were fully considered in the acquisition." I sure hope so. That'd be pretty lame to think you were getting the X-Men and having to settle for the Rocket Racer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Racer] instead.

Source: NY Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/21/business/21marvel.html]

gains

Jan 8, 2008
Er. They do know that Disney owes like 10 years of back royalties on Peter Pan right? To an orphanage? Then again, I suppose orphans can't afford lawyers.

Feb 13, 2008
I was sort of expecting this. Stan Lee has taken an immense amount of credit for the creation of Marvel when there was quite a few involved.

Sort of like Terry Nation's estate and the Daleks.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I was sort of expecting this. Stan Lee has taken an immense amount of credit for the creation of Marvel when there was quite a few involved.

Agreed. Though I can't see them getting much or winning a case, if only for the legion of lawyers they no doubt have on standby.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well Rocket Racer is exactly the kind of minority character they are currently looking to pop up with the current attitude of Marvel. I'm surprised Brian Michael Bendis hasn't had him start a politically correct gay love triangle with Falcon and Luke Cage. :p

Okay, well I think it's funny.

Still, I have no idea what the rights involved are (like anyone), it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As a comic reader I really don't care who gets the money as long as we see some quality Marvel Comics continue to come out.

I am actually hoping that the Disney buyout will be a good thing, and Disney will keep Marvel away from trying to tackle RL political issues like they did with Civil War.

Civil war was a good story where it could have been a GREAT one had they kept it to the Marvel universe and the issues there rather than inserting RL analogies with no bearing.

I consider it one of the most annoying story arcs since they accused Starfox (Eros) of unintentional rape because he was superhumanly appealing to women being the masculine god of lust and everything. One of those true "WTF" moments when Marvel decided to try and be profound. Every time I hear a referance to Spider Woman's pherenome powers (not to mention the brief run of "Stacy X") I can't help but think about that. Especially given the implication that it's okay for women to have/use powers like that but not men. :p

Feb 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
I consider it one of the most annoying story arcs ...
How about "Inferno"? Everyone good goes bad, then has to wriggle out of it. The X-Men are reborn as being immune to detection apart from everyone they run into. And the world is destroyed again, but comes back next week apart from the 50% of world's population that was killed, apart from it wasn't.

But you had to buy 60 comics a month to understand that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Therumancer said:
I consider it one of the most annoying story arcs ...
How about "Inferno"? Everyone good goes bad, then has to wriggle out of it. The X-Men are reborn as being immune to detection apart from everyone they run into. And the world is destroyed again, but comes back next week apart from the 50% of world's population that was killed, apart from it wasn't.

But you had to buy 60 comics a month to understand that.

That was Inferno?

I thought Inferno was the whole thing between Belasco and Majick over the rulership of Limbo. Yes they smoothed over the repercussions of the demon invasion quite a bit (though seeing that team that was supposed to be The Ghostbusters get eaten by an elevator was cool). The X-men that died in that storyline were alternate world versions Majick called to help her, but they lost, and that was why she knew she couldn't just call the X-men to fight Belasco and things had to get involuted.

The bit where Forge combined their souls into a spear and took out Adversary was another whole storyline if I remember. They were resurrected by Roma (who is conveinently forgotten nowadays) who is like Sorceress Supreme of The Multiverse, and she was the one that gave them the tech-cloaking spell for a while.

But yes, both of them were pushing it in places given how they decided to restore the status quo afterwards.

Part of what I find annoying about "Civil War" and the various events around it is that they no longer do that, so we're pretty much stuck with the lasting affects of a current political analogy that while currently "hip" probably isn't going to remain that way in 10 years, and will even go further down hill if for some reason people change their minds in retrospect.

The whole Starfox thing was just bad, really bad. However it was limited enough where it's relatively easy to forget that something like that ever happened even if it was a big deal at the time.

Feb 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
That was Inferno?
Probably your definition as well, but apart from the "all redheads are goddesses" schtick, I never really had a clue what was going on, and I read most of them.

For Science

Apr 27, 2009
Deadpool is the must sane one at times. Oops he's a Death Stroke rip off so who knows when DC will claim him? (I joke, I hope.) I was pro reg in Civil War until I saw how unworkable it was (i.e. read any off it.)

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Neh fuck it, sue them if you got it in you. Usually I would snarel at them sueing but it's Disney and Marvel.... I doubt a couple million dollar loss won't hurt too bad.

hansari

May 31, 2009

Makes you wonder how much money those guys who thought of the little things that made these characters legendary got...
Tom Goldman said:
...Captain America, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and the Hulk...
Yeah...its weird how despite being so poorly received, those movies recieve such large sums of cash.

If the threat of termination isn't legit until 2014, I imagine Disney/Marvel taking advantage of this. They can pretty much exhaust the franchise and interest in those characters by then. (I mean, how many of you are really excited to see an X-Men sequel? or a Fantastic Four sequel?)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

There have surely been a lot of invisable titans at the helm of the Marvel franchises. People like Steve Ditko were just as important, maybe even more so, than Stan Lee.

Feb 13, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

There have surely been a lot of invisable titans at the helm of the Marvel franchises. People like Steve Ditko were just as important, maybe even more so, than Stan Lee.
Kirby was right there at the "start" of Timely Comics, which grew into Atlas Comics, which became Marvel Comics, which became Marvel Entertainment, which became Disney.
It makes you wonder how much Martin Goodman will be looking for before we get to the other "invisibles" like Don Heck, Dick Ayers, John Romita Sr., Gene Colan, and John Buscema.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The trouble is these guys were work-for-hire. It's ironic that as comics are beginning to be rediscovered as an important medium, and people are making these claims, when we think back to those pioneers, you realize that they seemed to value their work as rather minor, since they were willing to sign over those rights so easily. I mean, they took contracts that basically said: if you think of it while you work for us, it's ours. And they've only just now gotten around to beginning to fight it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
The trouble is these guys were work-for-hire. It's ironic that as comics are beginning to be rediscovered as an important medium, and people are making these claims, when we think back to those pioneers, you realize that they seemed to value their work as rather minor, since they were willing to sign over those rights so easily. I mean, they took contracts that basically said: if you think of it while you work for us, it's ours. And they've only just now gotten around to beginning to fight it.
Not Siegel and Co, those guys have been fighting DC since day one 1940 something.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Imagine if they get the rights and they join up with the DC universe. Imagine the X-Men fighting alongside the Justice League!

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
As a software developer I do this every day. I call it "Wanting to eat food and not live in a cardboard box." Sucks, but there you have it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
The Great JT said:
Imagine if they get the rights and they join up with the DC universe. Imagine the X-Men fighting alongside the Justice League!
maybe not but they could have a battle or team up with the New Gods and Entrigan

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
The Great JT" post="7.145273.3286327 said:

In other news I see this as another lawsuit Disney's gonna win.