Jack Tretton Promises PS Vita Will Be Focused on Gaming First

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jack Tretton Promises PS Vita Will Be Focused on Gaming First

The PSP may have started life as a multimedia machine, but its successor will have a much narrower focus.

If you can think back to the distant, misty past of 2005, you may recall that Sony launched its PlayStation Portable handheld as a machine that could do many things besides play games. You could listen to music, watch movies, and even - well, okay, you could listen to music and watch movies, really. Those features never really caught on, though, and Sony wisely went on to focus on the PSP as a gaming platform.

Vita, however, will be focused on gaming - and gamers - from the outset. Speaking with Forbes [http://blogs.forbes.com/davidewalt/2011/06/17/playstation-chief-jack-tretton-how-to-sell-vita-navigate-clouds-and-debut-the-ps4/], Sony boss Jack Tretton said that the hardware maker wanted to target Vita at core gamers first rather than marketing it to a wider audience.

Given the choice between selling Vita to a gamer and a "casual" player like one's mother, said Tretton, it was a no-brainer. "I'd like both of you, but if I had to get one, I'd rather get the gamer, because the mom may not buy the same amount of games," he said. Of course, once the machine was in the home, said Tretton, having other features made it easier to justify a non-gamer picking the device up and having a go with it.

Multimedia entertainment features would be coming down the line, said Tretton, but it only made sense to focus on Vita as a gaming platform first and foremost. "We will quickly try to enunciate the multimedia features of the device and make it accessible to more people. But I think if we were going to go out and try to market this as an entertainment device from Sony, we probably wouldn't use the PlayStation name."

"Gaming is our core strength and we're going to play to our core. But I think we've learned a lot of lessons from the PSP in terms of mass non-gaming audiences, and we're going to try to tap into some of that with Vita."

(Destructoid [http://blogs.forbes.com/davidewalt/2011/06/17/playstation-chief-jack-tretton-how-to-sell-vita-navigate-clouds-and-debut-the-ps4/])

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Given the choice between selling Vita to a gamer and a "casual" player like one's mother, said Tretton, it was a no-brainer. "I'd like both of you, but if I had to get one, I'd rather get the gamer, because the mom may not buy the same amount of games," he said
Eugh, sums it up what I thought about that line, sure it's true, but maybe put it another way, Tretton, you know, not sounding so greedy?

OT: Not really a PSP fan though, so I'll most likely not pick it up anyways.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Sony boss Jack Tretton said that the hardware maker wanted to target Vita at core gamers first rather than marketing it to a wider audience."

Well duh! Every single person in a first world country has a smartphone and a tablet PC nowadays. And an MP3 player if they have a crap phone...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
You mean they?re not trying to convince us it?s going to be a handheld replacement for the home pc that craps gold?!
That is shocking.
They said the psp and ps3 was going to do a whole bunch of stuff (some of it together) that didn?t happen. As soon as the hackers crack it, all the firmware updates will just be anti-hack crap so at least he?s preparing people for that.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I like the sound of that. A handheld gaming devise should be good at one main thing, and that playing games. The other features are nice, but gaming is first and foremost.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
John Funk said:
"But I think we've learned a lot of lessons from the PSP in terms of mass non-gaming audiences..."
Well, at least they've learned something. Now, learn from your marketing mistakes.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Maybe they should focus on putting an SD card slot in there instead of making a new, and expensive, memory stick format.

-Dragmire- said:
Thankfully, no, I haven't see any of those annoying commercials in a while.
There is an SD card slot; for some reason Sony likes to confuse people to the fact that the games don't ship on an SD card, but the console indeed HAS an SD slot.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I want a Vita so bad. The games look fantastic, LBP has given me some faith that good uses for its touch capabilities can be found, and they're not ports! All they need to do now is show more Gravity Daze footage.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Truly-A-Lie said:
I want a Vita so bad. The games look fantastic, LBP has given me some faith that good uses for its touch capabilities can be found, and they're not ports! All they need to do now is show more Gravity Daze footage.
Oh I thought it was just an upgraded PSP is it gonna be brand new kind of like the 3DS?

Captcha: Tiollo Thoracic Who is this Tiollo and how can we break him out of the computer world?!

BigD00dManGuy

Apr 27, 2010
Hardware in general seems to be in a very uncomfortable position right now . There is a conflict going on inside each of the major tech companies that deal with gamers in terms of focus: do we make a machine for the hardcore crowd or the casual person? And do we make this a dedicated machine or a multimedia device?

This can be seen best in Nintendo's continued resistance to making their machines DVD/Blueray compatible, yet introduce touchpad tech modification to their control scheme for the Wii U.Is it true innovation, or just another gimmick meant to attempt grabbing the iCrowd's attention? This leads me to wonder if game consoles are going to meld into a kind of iPad type machine in general just to try and check every single box possible because of a focus on market share over developing the medium. Thoughts?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Furioso said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
Oh I thought it was just an upgraded PSP is it gonna be brand new kind of like the 3DS?
Okay, it was an immature jab on my part, and I apologise for that. Don't get me wrong I think the 3DS is a decent device; the 3D actually impressed me, its d-pad and buttons felt comfortable and fantastically responsive in typical Nintendo fashion, and I'm sure it'll be host to many great games like the DS before it, I just feel disappointed that what appear to be its biggest selling points right now is Zelda 64, Star Fox 64 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Truly-A-Lie said:
Furioso said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
Okay, it was an immature jab on my part, and I apologise for that. Don't get me wrong I think the 3DS is a decent device; the 3D actually impressed me, its d-pad and buttons felt comfortable and fantastically responsive in typical Nintendo fashion, and I'm sure it'll be host to many great games like the DS before it, I just feel disappointed that what appear to be its biggest selling points right now is Zelda 64, Star Fox 64 and Metal Gear Solid 3.
...What no I was asking a serious question is the Vita a new console or just a PSP 4 with a fancy title?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Furioso said:
...What no I was asking a serious question is the Vita a new console or just a PSP 4 with a fancy title?
Wow, I totally misread what you posted the first time. Sorry about that. (How embarrassing...)
Yeah the Vita is Sony's next generation handheld, but it is very much along the same lines as PSP. For one it looks almost identical, but with the second stick. It's backwards compatible with PSP (digital, not UMD) titles but otherwise it's a whole new thing.

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
I am very excited about the PSV. But, I have read somewhere that it wont have video out for your TV. That sucks. Didn't they learn their lesson from the PSP? people want to play their portable games on the TV when they are at home and want to use the portable aspect of the device when not at home!

J_Monsterface

Aug 8, 2011
man oh man ive got a sick feelin' in my stomach

ive been feeling some serious fanboy lust for the vita ('cept for that whole rear-touch-panel-thing, which try to pretend isnt happening), mostly because i have an intense hope that i will someday soon be able to play ico and mvc2 and zone of enders on it

but for some paranoid reason im starting to think what there really gonna try to do with the vita is to focus on keeping it from getting hacked

i dont want to be melodramatic, and i admit i cannot back this idea up, but i think thats a huge part of what went wrong with the psp, and id imagine its the no.1 thing sony is interested in "improving"

even if you were against pirating, who really wants to pay for a psp game when it has almost no exclusive titles and getting a psp game for free is as easy as getting an album and putting it on your ipod (at least nowadays, looks like it used to be a lot more complicated)?

maybe ive just got a guilty conscience

i will also say that in a way i think now is the best time to get a psp, or mabye after the vita comes out when theyre dirt cheap

although im most certainly gonna wish i had a vita regardless