Jak and Daxter Collection or Sly Cooper Collection?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
IBlackKiteI said:
Ermm...uhh....

Oh god.

So are you absolutely sure you can't pick both?
I wish but I can't really afford both, I maxed my game tab last month celebrating my birthday :p Anyway I told myself I was celebrating it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Jak!

I like Sly Cooper, but I think Jak is more fun. Jak 2 has always been my favourite. I think I still have it, somewhere... along with my Plastation 2 that I have no wires for any more. Yay.

But definitely Jak. I just always had a lot of fun with it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I kinda always preferred the second game. Warped's a lot of fun though.
You...I like you for this choice. :D

OT: Well I own both, so I can shed a few things:

Jak & Daxter Collection: As long as you avoid the Vita port like the plague, then you shouldn't have too many issues. Like most HD collections, there are slight audio issues from time to time, which I find annoying but others might not. By audio issues I mean sometimes to music cuts out, or the looping is a bit off. In all honesty, I noticed it more in Jak 3 than Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy or Jak 2. Gameplay wise, I didn't get any glitches that prevented me from completing the games 100%, so I count that as a plus. When it comes to trophies, don't know if you care about those or not, the Jak HD Collection is harder to get Platinums for than the Sly Cooper HD Collection.

Sly Cooper HD Collection: This one has a few glitches of it's own, but unlike the Jak HD Collection it actually has a competent Vita port with a competent PS3 version. Audio wise, again there are some glitches in the audio from time to time. However, one of the worst instances is in the first Sly Cooper game on the collection. On the original PS2 Sly Cooper, Mz. Ruby's boss fight is in tune with the background music, however, the boss fight has the music completely out of sync thus making Mz. Ruby the hardest boss in the entire game and the entire collection. There are also some graphical glitches with Sly's hat disappearing in Binocu-com cutscenes in each game. It's more prevalent in the second game though.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Jak and Daxter: The precursor Legacy has a few moments of stupid difficulty but is a solid platformer without any loading screens.

Jak II is raging bullshit the entire way through, I have owned this game for ever 10 years and I have only ever gotten halfway once due to how much bullshit is in this game.

Jak III is Jak II with less bullshit, Just a overall better game.

Sly Cooper 2 and 3 are really good stealth platformers with lots of interesting stuff to do.
Sly 1 is terrible.
I beat the first level and just couldn't take it anymore, it was that bad.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Both ideally.

If I had to pick one I'd go with Sly.

Jak 2 has moments of extreme difficulty. I wouldnt play these on Vita, you'l break it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Neronium said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I kinda always preferred the second game. Warped's a lot of fun though.
You...I like you for this choice. :D

OT: Well I own both, so I can shed a few things:

Jak & Daxter Collection: As long as you avoid the Vita port like the plague, then you shouldn't have too many issues. Like most HD collections, there are slight audio issues from time to time, which I find annoying but others might not. By audio issues I mean sometimes to music cuts out, or the looping is a bit off. In all honesty, I noticed it more in Jak 3 than Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy or Jak 2. Gameplay wise, I didn't get any glitches that prevented me from completing the games 100%, so I count that as a plus. When it comes to trophies, don't know if you care about those or not, the Jak HD Collection is harder to get Platinums for than the Sly Cooper HD Collection.

Sly Cooper HD Collection: This one has a few glitches of it's own, but unlike the Jak HD Collection it actually has a competent Vita port with a competent PS3 version. Audio wise, again there are some glitches in the audio from time to time. However, one of the worst instances is in the first Sly Cooper game on the collection. On the original PS2 Sly Cooper, Mz. Ruby's boss fight is in tune with the background music, however, the boss fight has the music completely out of sync thus making Mz. Ruby the hardest boss in the entire game and the entire collection. There are also some graphical glitches with Sly's hat disappearing in Binocu-com cutscenes in each game. It's more prevalent in the second game though.
Thank you for the detailed answers. I haven't gotten either collection yet, largely because I can't find any retail copies of Sly anymore, so I'm playing the Ratchet & Clank Collection instead. Lots of fun and I can tell it has more or less the same audio/cutscene glitches you mention in Jak/Sly for the PS3. Experienced a couple of brief frame-rate drops here and there but nothing game-breaking. Subtitles seem to work off and on for some reason.